Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 month 32lb boy that LOVES to be worn!
I have a sachicarrier, that has the padded straps but it still hurts my shoulders????
I cant stand to wear him more than 5 minutes at a time.
I went to the zoo last week and wanted to wear him so he'd be up at my eye level to see more, but I kept having to take him on and off which he didn't like too much, he was just fine where he was

What are some tips to carring the big child for longer periods?
I have been told to try to tie the first strap over my chest instead of at my waist, I'm going to try that tonight

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I cross the straps over my chest and it dosn't pull as much. I also give his bum support here and there with my hands (but i am very flexable). Hold your stomach in and it will strengthen the back. your babe is heavy though? mine is 11 months and 25lbs.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You need to get more weight on your waist, but tying the waist straps above your chest won't do that (it will put ALL the weight on your upper body, NOT a good thing with a heavy child).

You need to tie the waist straps at your waist or slightly above. Make them snug. You want your ds's bum to fall at or below where the waist is tied.
After you get it on bounce and pull on the straps to get the slack out. Try bringing them backpack and crossing them to see what it most comfy. When you take them to the back try the 3 different ways to tie them. . . . either over the legs/bum, under the legs/bum or behind the back. Each of these ways will distribute the weight differently. If you play around with it a bit you will find what is most comfy. But just make sure you have him in there nice and snug (slack taken out of the straps) and that you have the waist tied high and tight (and tied on like an apron).

HTH,

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don't know this from personal experience (my dd is only 5 months old and 17 pounds), but from previous threads I've read that an Ergo might be comfy for a heavy toddler. The Ergo distributes the weight on your hips more (a MT sits on your waist. I have an MT, which I love, but you may want to try out an Ergo and see if it works better for you at his age/weight. You could always return it if it doesn't work for you. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I agree with Kelley that the high-back carry (tying the straps over your chest instead of waist) is probably not the way to go. I just did this with my 22-month old tonight and it was not very comfortable. However, tying at the waist is still plenty comfortable for me with her.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I find a Mei Tai more comfy than an Ergo with my 3 y.o., personally.

I second Kelley's suggestions and would add that it is uncomfortable if I get the straps twisted at all, so watch out for that, too.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for the help!
Yes I tried the high back and ouch!!!
I can wear him on the front and he's fine with that to a point, but he doesn't like it when I walk carrring him like that (he doesn't like to go backwards I guess!)

I'm going to try over his legs, maybe that will help.
He's so funny, his just "thick"! not really fat but just big everywhere, he has a lot of his weight in his chest area, so that might be why the high carry wasn't working.

I dont want to give up on it yet, I like the idea of the MT better than the Ergo.
Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
my daughter is the same age and weight.
i just got my first mei tai
yesterday and pretty much all yesterday she was on my back in it. shes in love with it.
she only got down to use the potty and eat dinner so i had some opportunity to adjust and try different ties.
what worked for us is a high back carry. i tied the bottom around my ribcage, about a few inches below my bra. the top straps ended up in roughtly the same place.
i found that if i tied it around my waist at all it just hurt too much. ive got a little padding there and it kept moving and cutting in and chaffing. im not too big, im a size 11/12 but it was enough that i didnt want her weight on my waist.
front carry was good too but my daughter is very tall and kept headbutting me. she was excited about the carrier. i think she likes it more than i do! :LOL
good luck

·
Registered
82 Posts
I can wear my 26 lb 2yo for quite some time in a back carry. I have noticed that the weight distribution is much different between having their arms inside the carrier and having them outside. which did you have? You might try to keep arms inside the carrier and see if that helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.