Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are traveling next week to SF for 5 days. We're in Michigan, where it's been in the 70's but it's typically around 90 right now. Weather.com says that it's been in the high 50's, low 60's in SF lately? That seems so weird to me, is that typical for this time of year? I've been to SF 3x but I seem to remember it being warmer around this time of year. Should I pack hoodies/long t-shirts? Thanks!

· Registered
1,347 Posts
Yes this is typical weather. The hot air in the desert pulls in the fog off the ocean and SF gets COLD - there's a quote by Mark Twain that goes "the coldest winter I ever saw was San Fracisco in July" LOL

So bring lots of layer - especially if you plan to travel anywhere else in the area (going north from the city it gets much warmer much more quickly!)...always keep a fleece or something with you because there are crazy microclimates out here!
peace,
robyn

· Registered
876 Posts
yeah its especially cold at night. BUT sometimes by some fluke its really hot, by really i mean like 85 haha

so yeah you have to pack everything and as the pp said if you are planning on going anywhere else, even within 15 min of the city sometimes it is HOT

· Premium Member
3,283 Posts
Definitely bring layers, as the pp said. It can be pretty hot one minute and down right freezing 10 minutes later. It also depends on the part of the 6 sq mile city you visit. It's a funky little place, but also rated as the most romantic place for couples in the USA, and I mostly find that to be true. Especially when you need to cuddle up in August. Have fun!

ETA: I love that quote!

· Registered
10,098 Posts
No joking about the layers. One side of SF can be completely different than the other - it can be 80 in the Mission, and 60 at the ocean. It can be sunny, but windy. It can be totally foggy. You just never know. And not only does it change day by day, but hour by hour. It's kind of crazy. Best bet is you can leave the tank tops at home, and don't bring more than 1 pair of shorts! Definitely bring the long sleeve shirts, and a light jacket.

If you leave the city (Marin, East Bay), you'll hit 80-90 right now.

· Registered
5,439 Posts
LAYERS! And expect to use them at various locations and various times of the day. It's crazy! I've been there for a game in October and was fried like a lobster. I've been both frozen and happily warm in April/May. I've been sooo wind whipped and cold in July.

I was just there last weekend and it was gorgeous and sunny, about 70 degrees. After the first stop we went to the pier and it was completely different - windy and so cold.

FYI: Most of the locals last weekend had light winter jackets (like peacoats) and scarves on. It's August!

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow! And I thought Michigan was crazy with weather! We're staying on Geary Street, but obviously will be all over. I'll definitely have to pack carefully.

Any restaurants or attractions that we just can't miss? I don't want to do Alcatraz because I've seen it and he doesn't have a desire to tour it. We are going on a bay cruise, the wax museum, aquarium on the bay and a double decker bus tour.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.