Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dh and I have been invited to two weddings in the next month.<br><br>
One is at the courthouse -- my dh and I are the witnesses and we'll be going to lunch with the couple after the ceremony. Do my DH and I pay for the entire bill as a gift to the couple? That would be the nice/right thing to do, right?<br><br>
The other is at a church, with a dinner/reception to take place at a chain restaurant. Should we offer to pay our portion of the bill or is it like a reception?

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Yes, I think it would be nice to pay for the couple's lunch, if you can afford to do so.<br><br>
For the second wedding, if it's being called a reception I wouldn't think you'd be expected to pay for anything, but if was worded more like, "Hey, some of us are going to Chili's after the wedding," then you'd be expected to pay for your meals. I'd bring money just in case, but I'd just see how things play out instead of overtly offering to pay.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
For the first, if it's just the 4 of you, then yes, it would be polite to pay for the meal.<br><br>
For the 2nd, I'd speak to whoever is organizing the meal. Ask them if the tab is being handled or if you're going dutch.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
While it might be polite to offer to pay for them, sort of like people do when it is a birthday, I think the proper etiquette would be for them to take you out for coming and being a witness to their wedding. I think you should plan on letting them take you out to dinner as the "hosts" but an offer is always polite, and certainly if they feel comfortable with you paying and you can afford it it's always a nice thing to do. For the second one I would also assume that this is a reception and they will pay, however if they want/need you to pay for your part certainly go ahead and pay if you can!

·
Premium Member
15,078 Posts
This is what I was thinking. The bride traditionally pays for the wedding, and I believe this includes the reception.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I would come with the ability to pay for both, but admit that I would be pretty taken aback if I ended up paying in either situation.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
For the first one, I think it would be a nice treat if you paid but don't think you are required to do so. We were witnesses at a couple's wedding and they insisted on taking us out after to celebrate their "big day."<br><br>
For the second, you've been invited as a guest to a reception. You do not pay. Wouldn't have even crossed my mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts