Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Finally, Wednesday we go to court and it will be DONE.  My deliciously sweet baby will be legally part of our family.  I am so excited I can't stand it.  We're bringing our camera and will use the picture as our Christmas card this year.  She's been with us since birth and she's nearly 17months, so we. are. ready.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So how did you commemorate the adoptive event?  Have a party?  Just quiet celebration with immediate family?</p>

·
Registered
174 Posts
<p>We had a small dinner party and invited the people who helped us throughout the adoption.  The people who wrote recommendation letters, my relatives who we stayed with when we the little one was not allowed to leave the state he was born in, and our immediate families.</p>
<p>It was a nice intimate gathering.</p>

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
<p>When our daughter was placed with us a friend offered to throw a baby shower. Since it was an unknown birthfather I wanted to wait until we knew for sure she would be staying. Then, we found out we could probably finalize at national adoption day, which was only 3 weeks after she was legally clear. Adoption day was on 11/15. (Hey, today is our 2 year anniversary of finalization!!!) We planned a party for 11/16. If we weren't able to finalize on the 15th, we would just have it be a baby shower. If we could finalize on the 15th it was an adoption party.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We had about 25 people. We did a brunch with crepes and eggs florentine and bunches of fruit and cakes and other brunchy side dishes. I hired a professional photographer and arranged that people could purchase photos of their families so we did a lot of family portraits.  The final photo was everyone standing on the stairway with me, my husband, and our legally forever baby at the bottom.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>By the way, for me adoption day didn't take away the fear that someone could still take her. That happened when we got the birth certificate a few weeks laer.</p>

·
Registered
189 Posts
<p>This post made me teary-eyed.  Congratulations on your upcoming finalization!</p>

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
<p>congrats! :D!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>we kept our celebrations small...after the court date we went out for lunch as a family, then went to a children's museum (our dd's pick) for the afternoon.  We also picked out a Todd Parr book (his Family book) and had the judge write in it (ourselves, too) to keep as a memento for the day.</p>

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<p>SundayCrepes, So ya like crepes huh? ;)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks Ladies.  I really like the brunch idea of having those over that helped or were supportive through the process.  We all got hair cuts yesterday (so excited) and DH is taking a half day off work tomorrow.  It's at 3 and our children's museum closes at 5, so if we get out in time it would be great to go there.  The kids would really like that.  Hmm, now to think of something fun that night for dinner.  We're on SCD, so the fun with food is limited. :)</p>

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
<p>Congratulations!  How awesome!</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts