Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd open up a new thread and see what everyone is up to.

QOTW~ Are you planning to cloth diapering and what is your favorite cd?

I started late with DS but I enjoyed the contours with the bummis wrap. I have already started a CD registry for my guilty pleasure. I haven't spent too much time at the trading post because I know I would start spending.

____
We took DS to see Shrek 2 this weekend. It was his first big boy movie outing. He did great. He would have stayed in his seat if a lady hadn't sat right in front of him. As a matter of fact he didn't move off of DH's left knee. It figures that I would get a kid who likes to go to the movies with another baby on the way. I'm hoping that this baby is as calm as DS and will let us take it until he/she starts chatting.

I bought a few more maternity tops and some maternity undies. I can't stand the undies. I may like them when my belly gets bigger but right now they keep falling down.

I'm considering moving to a doctor closer to home. I have heard pretty good things about him but I want to do a consultation first. The last time I tried to do that the staff (different doctor) refused to set up a meeting. I should have known what that would lead to. I'm going to listen to a few more people and see what everyone is saying before jumping the gun. The only thing that bothers me is that DH is uncomfortable with the distance to the current OB.

If I'm not currently nursing how early would it be to go to the LLL meetings? I would love to hear what other breastfeeding mamas have to say about the doctors in our area. Most of the information I'm getting now are from mothers who work in a hospital setting and know they have to mind their ps and qs.

Have a great week everyone.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by heatherevond
QOTW~ Are you planning to cloth diapering and what is your favorite cd?
I am! Though I've never done it before, so I don't really have a favorite. I think I'm going to go with mostly prefolds/snappis/pins and about a dozen or so fitteds. I'm going to do a registry also, and I hope my family uses it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by heatherevond
If I'm not currently nursing how early would it be to go to the LLL meetings? I would love to hear what other breastfeeding mamas have to say about the doctors in our area. Most of the information I'm getting now are from mothers who work in a hospital setting and know they have to mind their ps and qs.
I'm planning on going to one tonight! I'm a first-time mama, and I figure it can't hurt to start getting some information. Also, I'd like to meet other mamas who cd/sling/etc. (a couple of people from this board will hopefully be there).

I went on vacation last week, and I think my weight gain reflects that this month--I have an appointment on Thursday, so we'll see what the "official" scale says then.
I'm not too worried, because as of my last appointment I only had a net gain of about 4 pounds (that was at about 16.5 weeks)

The whole time we were on vacation I was praying that I would start feeling movement. Then one night, I was sitting on the couch next to DH, and I felt one little poke. I looked around to see if anyone else noticed (quickly realizing that of course no one did
). The next night about the same time, I felt another lone poke. I waited and waited the third night, but there was nothing. Then when I woke up the next morning, I was laying in bed, and I could feel the baby push off one side, then push off the other side--he did about three bounces/flips before calming down again. It was so cool!!! Now I'm feeling it pretty consistently throughout the day, and that's so awesome!!

Have a great week mamas!!

·
Registered
726 Posts
yay, clynnr, about the movement! isn't it just the neatest thing? i'm getting it pretty much throughout the day now, too, and it makes me really happy. when d puts his hand on my belly, the baby usually kicks it, too, which i love.

qotw: yes! i just decided on dyed prefolds from sunflowerderrieres.com for the bulk of it--cheap, but cute. i also have an assortment of fitteds from the trading post and ebay, including 6 newborn kissaluvs. and i've been knitting and collecting soakers and covers, mostly wool but also some cotton. i'm still curious about growing greens (one-size hemp) and loveybums (inexpensive fitted diapers and wool covers), and i got a couple of wonderoos (one-size pocket diapers) from the tp to try out, too. where are you guys registering? that's probably a good idea.

generally, all's well here--had a chiropractic adventure last week, where both ends of my spine were waaaay out of alignment, ouch--i guess the relaxin is really kicking in. i notice my right hip feels kind of loose and owy when i walk, too, so trying to stay on top of strengthening stuff. i can't believe when i read that you have only gained 4 pounds, clynnr! i'm at...probably 13, by now, and that was starting out pretty sturdy, for me. ah well: it's all for the breastfeeding stores, i guess! i could probably stop eating ice cream, heh.

cheers, mamas--

*jennifer

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
jennifer, what do you mean by cotton soakers? There are only wool soakers. Cotton is absorbant and meant to be inside the cover. I probably did not understood you.

QOTW: Yup. We started using cloth with dd when she was around 3 months. Most of her diapers are mommy made as will be the next baby's dipes. I prefer AIO's, but do some fitteds for around the house. We will be starting out in prefolds, however, because I don't want to spend a lot of time sewing diapers that will be outgrown in a matter of weeks.

I am doing well. 20 weeks tomorrow. The last couple of days, I have felt that my pregnant tummy is getting very noticeable. I mostly wear maternity tops and stretchy or maternity bottoms. My dh bought me a bunch of cute GAP sleepwear tops that I just love a few years ago. I told him during my first pregnancy that I needed some similar maternity ones, but we were pretty broke and I never got them, and eventually had to quit wearing my regular ones as they would just roll up my tummy. Well, two nights ago, I put one on and realized I am to the end of my nights wearing them again until after my pregnancy. I went in to DH and said, "I think I'm going to need some new jammy tops real soon." He looked at me, laughed, and said, "that will be to the top of your belly before you've been in bed 5 minutes!" So, hopefully he'll take the hint.

I'm doing quite well on the weight gain as well. At my last appointment, 3 weeks ago, I had gained 3 lbs. I think I'm up to 5 lbs. or so now, but not totally sure. With dd, I gained a bunch really fast at the end, like 2 lbs. a week the last 5 weeks, so I'm not worried about the fact that I haven't gained much yet. I have an ultrasound in a week and two days and my next appointment. They said "no small children allowed" on the paper that I got in the mail, so I'm not really sure what we will do with dd. She goes everywhere with us and screams the entire time if we leave her with someone. They may just have to deal with us having her there.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I feel guilty. No cloth diapering for me.
I have, however, a couple of reasonable good excuses:
1) no quality c diapers down here (i live in Argentina), the only cd you can find are the same old ones my mother used with me -I'm 32-
2) I work full time out of the house so once maternity leaves ends (hopefully babe will be 4.5 months) I'll have Dora, a sort of friend/guardian angel taking care of the babe and I don't dare to ask her to cloth diaper and I'll be too busy pumping and pumping, taking care of my oldest and my job to wash diapers.

3) Since nobody cd here, there's no cloth diapers wash service available.

I still feel guilty.

Shreck 2 is a great movie, my 3 years old enjoyed it very much.

I don't fit in any of my regular pants. I have only one maternity pant which I wear every day... I'm waiting till next month to go and buy one (I'm broken until then)

Have a fantastic week!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jecaly
yay, clynnr, about the movement! isn't it just the neatest thing? i'm getting it pretty much throughout the day now, too, and it makes me really happy. when d puts his hand on my belly, the baby usually kicks it, too, which i love.
DH can't wait to feel the baby! But with the extra layer of padding I had on my tummy before I got pg, it might be awhile yet.

Quote:

where are you guys registering? that's probably a good idea.
www.naturalbabies.com I love that site, because I can register for prefolds, SugarPeas, FuzziBuns, and all the little extras, like wipes, wet bags, etc. I was so excited when they started selling SugarPeas! I thought I wouldn't be able to register for them.

Quote:

i can't believe when i read that you have only gained 4 pounds, clynnr! i'm at...probably 13, by now, and that was starting out pretty sturdy, for me. ah well: it's all for the breastfeeding stores, i guess!
I may have only netted 4 pounds (2 pound loss, 6 pound gain) by the 16 week appointment, but I bet I've gained 9-10 in the last month (which has really been 5 weeks), so I'm definitely caught up! And I also started out very sturdy. Luckily it's all been going on very steadily, so no stretch marks yet. But the last few days my belly has been feeling VERY stretched out. Every once in awhile I catch my stomach muscles "unconsciously" trying to hold my tummy in, and I have to relax and push it out a little.

·
Registered
423 Posts
18 weeks, baby kicks are getting stronger and more consistent!

I used terry squares last time and plastic covers (ugh) because that's all that was available in the shops. This time I have made a few fitteds and yesterday I ordered a couple of tots bots (an orange one and a purple one) I also intend to invest in some good PUL covers and use fleece covers at night (homemade- I've made some for my toddler and I'm happy with the results)

I can't wait to try out fitted ones, I didn't even know they existed when I had my first baby.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
20 weeks here! Baby is definitely growing, I can feel the baby's kicks now!!!

Re we planning to CD? Of course! I may be using a variety, mostly AIO's some PF's and wraps,and some fitteds with
soakers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
21 weeks here and going well. We found out " It's a GIRL " Lots of kicks and rolling around and pushing. At last appt I had gained 2 lbs. I'm also one of those who gain most of my weight at the end of the pregnancy. One of my 4 yr olds embarrassed me a little at the u/s. I guess he's watched too many baby stories. I guess he was under the impression that we were having the baby that day. After a little probing around with u/s getting measurements and stuff he told her in an impatient tone " why don't you just spread her legs and get that baby out of there" The kids were very pleased with the gender. MY dd got the baby sister she wanted as did one of my 4 yr olds. My other 4 yr old wanted a "big sister". Baby was measuring 2 wks ahead. U/s was giving me due date of mid Oct but I'm pretty sure when I ovulated.

QOTW: Yes, I will cd. I cd my twins starting at 9 months, so I have plenty in size med on up. Can't wait to buy newborn diapers. I was thinking of getting fitteds with wool covers, a few prefolds and fuzzibunz. Yes, I think that would be fun to register for dipes.

Susie

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I had an ultrasound today. Everything is fine, thanks God!
It was impossible to see the gender because little babe was sitting with their little legs crossed. i'm 18 weeks today, so I guess we will not know if we are getting a he or a she until my last u/s in the third trimester.

I have already gained more than 8 kilos, which is a lot! But I tend to gain all the weight in the beginning.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
hi all:

Back from a long trip to CA to see my oldest child graduate high school..we'd just moved here to GA a few months ago so she stayed to finish school. She'll be going to UC-Santa Cruz in the fall. It will be a little weird to have a college student and a newborn though!!

QOTW: Yes..we cd my son, but not currently because the laundry was making me quite ill. I plan to slowly weed it back in now that I'm mostly over the MS. I'm 17.5 weeks or so now and feeling a heck of a lot better and like I have energy again. I can stand to cook again too. whew. We will use prefolds and covers for the newborn until he/she reaches the medium size range then we'll switch to my collection of various sorts of diapers including many made by me.

Ok..otherwise we're still working on getting Eli fattened up so he doesn't have to have bloodtests for celiac disease. I have a family history of tiny children but the dr's here refuse to listen to me and want him to be more fat. He is 19 months now and around 19 lbs or so I suppose..he is a pretty picky eater but I've been adding butter and fats and carbs to everything I can so he will bulk a bit. My DH noticed that last night he is developing a real butt LOL!! If he weighs in more proportionate to his size (only 30 inches now) in August we will not worry about blood tests...if he's still really skinny I'll allow the blood tests just to be certain he is OK. Who knows..I don't eat wheats at all and I'm a chubby gal..but I was a really skinny kid too. My other kids were also really skinny. The current dr. suspects a family history unknown til now. I'm not sure I agree with her though. Breastfed kids often do what mine did...bulk up in the first 6 months and then slow down. Elijah was 16 lbs at 6 months and is now only 19. Wild, huh?

Sorry for the babbling..I'm feeling sooo much better. Looking forward to catching up with all of you!! I am still debating whether to even have an U/S...I suppose at 38 yrs old..it can't hurt..

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
My favorite cd's are my sugarpeas, and covers are my ME Airflows. I will be getting some teeny diapers for this babe as I use mostly ME OS, and they were too bulky on ds. Probably some kissaluvs and some infant cpfs, as I didn't use cpfs with ds until he was in premium size.

We had our u/s on Tuesday.... it's another boy! This board seems to been leaning towards boys. I'm excited because I have all the clothes in the right sizes and seasons, and I just keep picturing two brothers 2years apart together and I get all
. It will be so much fun. I'm feeling more movement, but my placenta is slightly anterior, and the tech said that was a good thing the way bean was moving, seeing as I need a cushion from all the movement he was doing. Good to see and hear. I don't get myself weighed at m/w's, but according to my parent's scale I'm only at 2lbs weightgain. Which is okay seeing as I lost like 10lbs during m/s, so I have gained that back +. And I'm not exactly skinny to begin with. Just glad that I can eat most of the time now, and bean is healthy and growing, measuring almost a week ahead from the dates I saw the tech punching in. Looks like another big boy is on the way (10lbs+).

s

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Well, I just got back from my appt, and I only gained 6 pounds! I was so surprised! I thought it would be way more, especially since it's been five weeks since my last appt.

**Let me just note for the record that I am not obsessed with my weight gain. I just expected to gain about 10 pounds due to vacation eating. (Did I mention that DH gained 15 over vacation?!?!
) I'm just letting my body do what it needs to do, and it's doing great!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi Mamas, I've been out of the loop for a while, not having the energy to write, but feel so much better now! My headaches have finally abated!!!! I have my U/S next thurs. and can't believe how psyched I am to find out the gender (midwife joked that she wants to make sure there is just one in there, as I was measuring large). With dd we found out her gender at the birth, and although it was a surprise, the REAL surprise was that an actual human baby had been growing in me!! :LOL

QOTW: I am planning on CD this time. With dd we lived in a washerless apartment. But I am lucky to have a home now with washer, dryer and clothes line, so no reason not to CD. I am still shopping around, but really like the motherease line.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
Had the ultrasound on Wednesday, its a boy! We taped it this time, its amazing to watch. The picture was so good, it looked like a little skeleton in there. When I made that remark during the ultrasound dd (almost 4 years old) said "mommy does he have skin?". She also kept asking "is he alive mommy?" and "im going to have a brother! I hope he shares my toys with me!".

I've finally started CD shopping. We are going with prefolds/covers/snappis/pins. The best package deal I've seen so far is atBum Wrap . I think right now I will get 1 newborn size package deal, it's only 3 covers but I'm hesitant to buy more then I need right now because money is so tight. And if newborn covers happen to be too small its easy enough to get small size fast, in fact I may order 1 small just in case. I dunno, it's still all up in the air, but this seems to be the best deal so far. Maybe 1 package and 1 dozen more prefold diapers.

Morning sickness is back, i'm still puking 1-2 times per day. I'm SO sick of being sick! But I feel good otherwise. Having a hard time finding a comfortable position to sleep, so I end up sleeping on the couch which is very comfortable. Something to do with the way the couch seat slants back makes it easy to sleep. But I don't like sleeping there, I miss sleeping next to dd and dh.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
QOTW~ Are you planning to cloth diapering and what is your favorite cd? Yup, I just started about 3 months ago with my - now - 19 month old. Right now I only have mediums and larges. So I'm the one snagging all the newborn sizes I can off the tp. I'm getting a little of everything since I don't know what I'll like - mainly fitteds and covers (pul so far), hoping for wool and fleece. I'm hoping to only use cpf during the meconium phase. I really don't like them for my toddler.

We have an u/s tomorrow. I had one with my first, but not ith my second. I'm iffy this time, but agreed to it. We've never found out the sex before but my husband really wants to this time. We have 2 boys, so this one is either going to make 3 or our first girl.

I've also not gained much weight. 6 lbs so far and I'm 21 weeks. I usually gain about 20 lbs in one month around 5 or 6 months so we'll see what happens this time. I weigh much more than I did getting pregnant either of the other times so I wouldn't mind not putting on 40 lbs - again. But I eat when I'm hungry, which lately, has been all the time!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts