Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, since no one else has started a thread for this week yet, I decided to go ahead and do so. I believe this is the first thread I have started in this forum.
I have my monthly appointment on Wednesday and and u/s on Thursday. I am 20 weeks 4 days today. Baby is kicking and moving around like crazy! My favorite time of the day is when I am rocking dd to sleep and she's laying across my belly and the little bean is kicking her trying to get her off his/her space! It's so precious. Sibling rivalry already. And it happens every night. He/she is also very active every time I lay down to rest or go to sleep, be it a nap or nighttime. I don't remember dd being so active, but I wonder if I'm not just more in tune this time. Or perhaps it's a boy! Who knows. Okay, I've been pondering what the QOTW should be, hoping someone else would go ahead and start the weekly thread, since I had no clue what to ask. I had two ideas so I'll ask them both.

QOTW:
1. When is your baby most active? How active? More or less than previous pregnancies?
2. Are you currently working? Do you plan to go back after baby is born?

I am currently a full-time student, working on my MSW (Social Work Graduate degree). I plan to take baby to class with me for the last few weeks before break. I will get a break from my 24 hr./week practicum until after break (6-8 weeks). Then both babies will go to daycare full-time.
I would love to take a break for awhile, but dh & I have decided that it's very important for me to continue for personal and financial reasons. I will probably need to be committed to a mental institution by the time graduation comes around next spring, but I will be finished with school forever! (Unless I decide to change careers some day.
) So, that's my plan. What's yours? BTW, I'm slightly envious of those of you who are able to be SAHM's. I have been home with dd all summer, and though it is more work than I anticipated it being (both physically and emotionally) I absolutely
it! I will be so sad to send her off to daycare come fall.

·
Registered
726 Posts
hi alisha!

thanks for starting the thread. i'll be 20 weeks on the nose tomorrow, and my experience with babe movement is about how you describe--when i sit or lay down, the kicking and rolling begin. the new one also seems to be able to sense proximity--if i lean over so my belly is on my legs while sitting, i'll often get a response, and if d lays his hand on my belly, there's usually a kick for him. lately i've been noticing how far apart the kicks seem to be--there is a seriously growing and/or mobile person in there! doing laps, maybe, heh.

and, work. yeah. um. i'm working near-constantly now, cooking at the wine bar and doing freelance web work, which is happily something i can do sitting down at home. after i reach a point when i can't cook at the restaurant anymore (hopefully pretty soon before birth), i'll start consulting from home on the menu. when the babe is old enough to take out, i'll start going in once a week to keep an eye on things and keep the menu moving...and then, we'll see. i can't imagine leaving the new person, even for 2 days a week. maybe one? ach. my computer stuff i can see at least sort of continuing, although i'll plan to get everything into shape before the birth so i don't have to worry about it. and then there's catering, but my first commitment for that isn't until april. d makes a pretty good salary--enough for us to live frugally for a bit, anyway--and i really love my career, but i think i might end up taking a break from it for a little while. how's that for a long answer to a short question?

and finally! i got my first prefolds in the mail today; there's been a steady stream of covers and a few fitteds for awhile now, but for some reason the prefolds make it seem more...real. they're so teeny (infant size), and i can just imagine the little butt that will go in them...whew. it makes me a little dizzy to think about it. funny the things that trigger the oh-my-goodness-this-is-real response, huh?

hugs to the mamas,
jennifer

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
HI,
I'm 21 weeks and the same with myself for fetal movement--whenever sitting,lying down, babe starts a rollig around in there!!
I goto the doc's on the 6th, having an u/s hoping to find out the sex,and also my doctor's appointment as well.
I've noticed a bit of edema building up,hand and feet and legs,

So far my high blood pressure problem I had before I ws pg cause of my last preg, has still stayed at bay,no meds needed here!!
I'm a SAHM, I do work,just not outside of the home. Children are my fulltime job and then some!!!
I hope everyone is doing great!!!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Thanks for starting the thread, scheelimama!

I am about 22 weeks now--this is going so quickly! I can't believe it. I am loving my belly!! Oh, story of the week...I was lying in bed resting, and the baby started kicking pretty hard, so I yelled for DH to come in and feel. He did, and when the baby kicked, I said excitedly, "Did you feel that?!" He said, "Yes. You know, I've felt babies kick before." I was so mad! I said, "Yes, but not your own!! Be excited!!"
: He's been better about it since then. But I think baby heard him, because ever since then when he puts his hands on my belly, babe is silent and still. Now he says, "Honey, make the baby move!"

QOTW:
1. When is your baby most active? How active? More or less than previous pregnancies?

Babe has been moving A LOT the last few days. Mostly when I'm sitting (at my desk at work) and when I lie down. Yesterday s/he thought it would be funny to kick me in the bladder repeatedly. Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "child-friendly environment." I've always thought that meant a room w/o breakables and dangers, where a child can explore freely. I guess in this context, it means emptying my bladder and removing the temtation to kick it. :LOL

I work in customer service at a small manufacturing company. Mostly desk/computer work. I plan to work up until I go into labor (if I'm comfortable). Just last week I told my two bosses that for DH and I, day care is not an option, and that I would love to come back part time, but the only way that will happen is if I can bring baby or work from home. I was a little concerned about taking that approach, but imagine my surprise when my boss said, "Well, we would like to have you back, and I'm glad you told me that, because now we have a few months to work something out!" Yay!!! I would love to be only a SAHM, but financially it won't work for us for a couple more years. I'm so glad he was receptive to my ideas!

Have a great week, mamas!!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Hi All!

Well, I'm 18 weeks and 3 days today..I went to the midwife this morning. I've lost another pound..big deal LOL..I guess it's nice that I'm not gaining tons of weight yet

They had some trouble locating the babys hb but they finally did. he/she was just gonna move around and hide the whole time! Nice visit, really.

QOTW: Baby is moving a bit, not tons that I feel anyway. He/she kicked me good in the shower this morning and the movements are at least getting stronger. It's still early enough that it doesn't worry me too much.

My job is MOM...I am lucky enough to stay home with my baby boy, just as I got to stay home with the older kids years ago. When they reached school age I went back to work. That's iffy now..I may homeschool, but I don't know yet. I don't do anything particularly special..secretarial type stuff usually. I was in Network Admin in my last job by a stroke of luck and just learning it all because there was a need. But I am in no hurry to rush back to a job outside the home
I loooove being mom

Not much else to report..feeling pretty good here!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hello,

I'm almost 19 weeks and feeling great for the most part. I had an appointment Friday, and midwife was a little freaked that I gained 9 pounds in four weeks. But I'm very hungry! I started this pregnancy about 13 pounds underweight for height, and I've gained 21 so far, so even though it sounds like a big gain, I don't think it's too bad considering.

I'm not scared of having another big one (dd was 9 lbs, 5 oz) but midwife wants me to keep an eye on the gaining. She said big babies are fine, but it will be easier on my body (recovery) if I have a nice 8 or 9-pounder again instead of a 10+ or 11. I guess I can understand that. Gonna miss the cheesecake.

Baby moves a ton. Too many kicks to count, like at least 100 a day!

I worked until dd was 7 months. I brought her to work with me every day, but then my boss moved to a different department and the new boss said I couldn't keep bringing her in. So I quit. I will probably go back to work at some point, but not until the next baby is a little older.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Hi,

I'll be 19 weeks on Thursday.
I feel more movement when I lie in bed. I think i have started to notice movement much sooner than with my first child.
As per the work question: I work out of the house doing publicity and marketing for cable networks. There's no way I can't quit right now (i'm the main breadwinner right now) I'll take a materinity leave of 4.5 months, I'll try to work (or sort of
) till I go into labor. After the maternity leave babe will stay at home with dad and I will work a shorter shift (one hour less) until babe is one year old (there's a Right breastfeeding women have by Law here)

Friendlymama, my weight situation is similar to yours I was under my weight before pregnancy but I've gained almost 10 kg
: so far

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi everyone! I'm 22 wks here. Had dr appt yesterday. I had lost one of the pounds I had gained so that makes a grand total of 1 pound for this pregnancy. My dr didnt seem too concerned just asked if I was eating good. Maybe I should start eating a milkshake everyday. Baby sounded good and we're just cruising through the last half of pregnancy. I had about 5 different people ask me if I was having twins yesterday. My belly is sticking out there.

QOTW: This baby does not move as much as my last two pregnancies. But I can definitely sympathize with clynnr on the bladder kicks. Thats where most of my kicks occur. What a really strange feeling that is. Most of my activity is after eating when I sit back, full belly and let my food digest.

QOTW: I am a nurse and I work 7days/off 7days on the 11p-7a shift. This works out great with the kids because they're asleep when I leave and just waking up when I get home. Its like they don't even know I'm gone. And I only work every other week so it works out good. I will probably have to work after the babe is born.

Susie

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by scheelimama
QOTW:
1. S/he is most active shortly after a meal, when I'm sitting still or when I'm bending over and squishing him/her

2. I am working full time and will continue to do so (after 2 or 3 months off) after the baby arrives.

xoxo
Charlotte

·
Registered
98 Posts
I feel the baby move the most at night. Maybe because I'm more relaxed and can really sense the movement?

I work outside the home and will probably take 4 months off after the baby is born. My husband *just* finished graduate school and doesn't start working again until September.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
It is nice to hear that I'm not the only one who is starving all the time! For the past week I've been hungry non-stop. I guess I was a little underweight to start with (I am per the charts) but I thought I was perfect.
Anyway, I've gained 13 lbs so far. But that was before I became a bottomless pit!

My babe kicks and moves all of the time, mostly after I eat. It is so weird to be mid conversation with someone and suddenly get a nice big kick in the crotch area. It feels so weird, and I always pause for a moment mid sentence because it catches me off guard.

I work full time, but want to take a couple of weeks off before I give birth. I think it would help me to better prepare, both physically and mentally, and that I'll have an easier labor that way. (One can hope!) We just sold our nice big expensive house so we can move into something a lot cheaper, in preparation for me being a SAHM once she's born. I've wanted this my whole life, and am so thankful I'm going to be able to do it. I've worked for the last 15 years and it will be weird to not be working, and being at home might be a big adjustment for me. But it is really important to me while she's little. The loss of my income is going to really pinch, though!

Monica

21 weeks and counting! Mama to
: Truman and
: Febe

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi mamas~ some of your little comments make me smirk this week(is there a smily for smirk?)
im 19 weeks today. feeling little wriggles...right now...it is going soooo quick isnt it!
im working full time...driving all day (the sick, pregnant and old) sometimes starting at 4:30am...
: i hate leaving my big and little loves snuggled up in bed...but once im on the road its quite cruzy...i plan to work till the end of september...then we are off to new zealand (to see my family for the first time in 3 years~yay). still havent found my nz midwife...but getting slowely organized. i would love to stay home with my dd and this bub for a few years...we'll see.
one thing i was wondering about is coffee...is anyone else drinking any? i did pretty good with decaf and actually not liking the taste in the first trimester but now im having a cup in the morning (the morning that i didnt i had some woman lean out the window of her car and mouth "wake up" i have no idea why so i guess she might have had a point
)

have fun with the wriggles.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Well I'm about 21 weeks (I've got about a week's guess on my lmp). Just had my u/s today. Going to post about that on another thread so this one does wander off soemwhere . . .

QOTW:

Most active when I'm sitting or laying. Not very active. Just started feeling burbles about two weeks ago. Just started feeling definite kicks and pokes about a week ago. Hard to tell if this one is as active as my last two - I remember what they were like overall, but not at this point in the pregnancy. KWIM?

2. Are you currently working? Do you plan to go back after baby is born? I've been home for about 4 years since being put on bed rest with my first. I've been make jewelry for about a year and I'm try to put up a webiste for it - so I guess I'm try to switch from sahm to wahm.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I'm 20 weeks tomorrow and finally this babe is rockin' and rollin'! He's most active when I'm laying down or being still which isn't often so maybe that's why I haven't been able to feel him much up until now. With my last two pregnancies I was able to feel the baby a lot sooner and they seemed more active so maybe I've got a laid back kiddo on my hands. One can hope

I'm a sahm and have been since my first ds was born, so no plans to go to work after the baby is born, although I'm sure I'll find plenty to do around here with three kiddos:LOL

·
Registered
307 Posts
New here and really looking forward to being a part of this board!

I'm 19 weeks, 4 days.

Baby is moving a LOT, which makes me a bit nervous, because my first DD was very active in utero and hasn't slowed down since. I'm sort of hoping for a quieter kid this time around...but if the pattern is consistent, I'll just hope to sleep again in 4 or 5 years. Sigh.
She's most active when I sit or lie down (or at least that's when I feel it most) and seems to have two "peak" times - about 5 pm and 10 pm. I'm anxious for the time when people can feel her move from the outside, because DD keeps asking about touching the baby and pokes my tummy gently.

I'm a SAHM for now, and will probably keep on doing this until both kids are into elementary school. As important as I feel my time with my children is, and as much as I love it, I'm sometimes ambivalent. I do miss the intellectual challenge of working and the relationships with other adults. But I'm hoping to have that back someday.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Wow it has been awhile since I posted. We aren't home a lot during the summer and with classes I have had even less time than usual.
Babe and I are doing well. We will be 22 weeks soon. Finally told my mother-in-law that I was pg. She took it better than we thought but she is not thrilled.

QOTW: Baby moves a lot. I notice it most when I am holding still. I think when I am up and going, it lulls the sprout to sleep.

I am a full-time student right now. I will be able to finish my first two years online so I don't even have to take a break this fall but I am not sure what I will do after that. Although the older girls attend public school and we wouldn't pull them out at this late date. DH and I plan on home schooling Trapolin and the sprout so if I do get a job with my degree, it will probably be a work from home situtation. Fortunately dh works with a company that has a lot of opportunities for that type of employment. Time will tell but right now my babes are my priority.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I'm 18 weeks and 4 days.

The baby is moving so much. I mostly feel it an night and while I'm sitting. It's such an amazing thing, more and more amazing everytime.

I've been going to school to become an R.N. but taking the summer off. I am enjoying it soo much. The semester doesn't start again until the latter part of August. and it ends the first week of Dec. I'm due Nov. 28th and will most likely go over so I'll be able to spend time Dec. and most of Jan with the baby before I'll have to go back. I'll most likely only go back for a class or 2.

·
Registered
366 Posts
QOTW:

Pretty active at night when I'm reading!! He kicks at the book I think!

I've been at home for 5 years and a wahm for about 3 years. I'm planning on hiring some help pretty soon. Cutting fabric is killing my back!

·
Registered
237 Posts
QOTW:
The baby definitely reacts to sweets and caffeine. (SHHH.. a little goes a long way for this tired Momma) There isn't a regular time that I feel the baby kick. I'm sure it's because I'm chasing the phones and a two-year-old and don't get to sit down and really rest until I get home from work. DH wonders why I don't want to move off the sofa once I'm home. Hmph!

I am currently WOHM full-time. Financially it won't add up for me to continue to work with two children in daycare. I may come back to this company (now that I'm in a new department) and work from home or part-time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.