Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First official full chat thread of the new year! It feels sooooo good to be into January now. I've really struggled with Oct.-Dec. these past couple of winters (especially last winter!) but always, once I hit January, it's smooth sailing. The days get longer and I feel like spring is inevitable.

My snowdrops are up by about 1-2" already in the front garden! For some reason, they always surprise me even though they always come up in January. A couple of winters ago, we had crocuses blooming on February 9th and I even snapped some photos of honeybees pollinating them! In early February! I'm hoping we have another mild winter like that one...
Last summer we dug up our pussy willow because it was so hard to mow under and I'm feeling guilty. Last February (after a record brutal winter) our pussy willow was in stunning full bloom with those silver catkins covered in yellow pollen and you could hear the buzzing of thousands of bees from inside the house. It was probably the only source of early nectar for the bees and I imagine they'll come looking for it again this year. :(

Was it rainy and miserable yesterday where you live? It was awful here! Started around 11am with freezing rain, a dusting of snow and then rain. It was SO dark all day! I was so bored that I actually laid down and dozed for two hours, waking at 4:30pm to almost total darkness. It was really hard to function for the remainder of the day. Amazingly, I went to bed at 8:30pm and slept pretty well, waking around 4:30am for the day.
It's supposed to rain all day again, but the temp is supposed to hit 63 degrees which is ridiculously mild - but I'll take it! I think I'll throw open all of the windows if we get a break from the rain.

There are some local consignment stores that sell maternity clothing that I'd like to hit today. I MUST get out of the house!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
It's been snowing here. The beautiful kind. We haven't gotten much snow this winter, so I'll take it. It's supposed to get bitterly cold this week though, like a high of 5F on Wednesday. Ew.

·
Registered
695 Posts
It is snowing beautifully here too. I spent 100 at a maternity consignment shop and got clothes to last me through July (tanks and tees with cardigans, jeans and pants) plus I found a few maternity shorts on clearance at old Navy that will work when it gets really hot, if my thighs don't get big. Maybe I should have sized up on those

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So envious of the winter wonderlands! I have to go look to see where you all live... It's warm and balmy here today but we're in for a wicked cold week, too.

It is snowing beautifully here too. I spent 100 at a maternity consignment shop and got clothes to last me through July (tanks and tees with cardigans, jeans and pants) plus I found a few maternity shorts on clearance at old Navy that will work when it gets really hot, if my thighs don't get big. Maybe I should have sized up on those
Envious!! I went to Old Navy and got two shirts - one long sleeve and one short sleeve. Didn't make it to the consignment store I wanted to go to....maybe this week.

I have to get a picture of myself in my new shirt - holy baby belly! It's fitted and stretchy and super comfy/cute, but there's no hiding that belly.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I live in CO in the suburbs at the foothills of the mountains so we get wild weather swings here. I just always wear layers - so my maternity wardrobe is easy. I just need a few of everything and then pile it on until I am warm enough (and then take off layers as the day warms up). However, last year it was mild all winter, and the year before that it was snowing when we went out for recess the final week of school before summer vacation. It is almost always sunny here, though. Lots of bright/cold days, which are my favorite.

I got lucky at old navy. They said someone had gotten a ton of maternity clothes online for christmas and returned them ALL and since they don't sell maternity in that store, they put them on the clearance rack at half price. And they happened to be my size. :)

Reactions: eternalw

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in CO in the suburbs at the foothills of the mountains so we get wild weather swings here. I just always wear layers - so my maternity wardrobe is easy. I just need a few of everything and then pile it on until I am warm enough (and then take off layers as the day warms up). However, last year it was mild all winter, and the year before that it was snowing when we went out for recess the final week of school before summer vacation. It is almost always sunny here, though. Lots of bright/cold days, which are my favorite.

I got lucky at old navy. They said someone had gotten a ton of maternity clothes online for christmas and returned them ALL and since they don't sell maternity in that store, they put them on the clearance rack at half price. And they happened to be my size. :)
That IS lucky! I love when stuff like that happens. :) Our Old Navy, that does have a maternity section, didn't have very much. They had some shorts on clearance, but didn't look comfy to me. I have a pair of denim maternity shorts from Target from my last pregnancy and I'll just wear them. I'm much more of a skirt type of gal - and maybe even sun dresses this time since my 4 year old won't be nursing during the day.

Layers are a great idea. I'm mostly cold right now because we keep our thermostats pretty low but I get hot at night with the thermostat at 62 and I stuff a bath towel down the heat vent in the bedroom so no heat comes in at night but I still get hot under the down comforter next to my toddler. (Holy run-on sentence, batman.)

The mall was really tough yesterday. I had my coat on but took it off while waiting in the horrendously long line at Old Navy and was still SO hot that I started to feel faint. I only had on a thin 3/4 length sleeved shirt and leggings. But out in the halls, it was drafty and chilly so the coat went back on. Ugh. I feel like I need to wear a tank top underneath everything for those moments like in Old Navy. Being over-heated = instant nausea + faintness for me.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Hey everyone! I also bought some maternity clothes this week! I had a gift card for H&M and got a couple pairs of their organic leggings and stretchy tanks, then got a bunch on clearance at Old Navy. I think I am all set until it gets hot (which isn't until like May here, haha)! So fun. :love

It is SO SNOWY and SO COLD here right now. It's -40C (which is also -40F I just discovered after looking up for you Americans) which is just beyond cold. Thank God for the floor length wool coat I purchased last year that allows me to get in the car for births at 2am straight out of my warm cozy bed. It won't fit me beyond probably 20 weeks but the worst of the cold will have passed by then and I have a really old too-big down filled coat I'll wear after that for the rest of winter. :)

Speaking of births, I had a really long and physically demanding one this week... was called at 1am, stayed with her after 4am and she birthed at noon the NEXT day. Omg. I thought I would die by the end but the amazing victory of that baby coming out safe and healthy made it all worth it. That was yesterday, and I can barely walk today. My ankles, hips, lower back, and shoulders are really sore. :( Amazing how a little prune-fetus can wreak such havoc on your physiology!

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey everyone! I also bought some maternity clothes this week! I had a gift card for H&M and got a couple pairs of their organic leggings and stretchy tanks, then got a bunch on clearance at Old Navy. I think I am all set until it gets hot (which isn't until like May here, haha)! So fun. :love

It is SO SNOWY and SO COLD here right now. It's -40C (which is also -40F I just discovered after looking up for you Americans) which is just beyond cold. Thank God for the floor length wool coat I purchased last year that allows me to get in the car for births at 2am straight out of my warm cozy bed. It won't fit me beyond probably 20 weeks but the worst of the cold will have passed by then and I have a really old too-big down filled coat I'll wear after that for the rest of winter. :)

Speaking of births, I had a really long and physically demanding one this week... was called at 1am, stayed with her after 4am and she birthed at noon the NEXT day. Omg. I thought I would die by the end but the amazing victory of that baby coming out safe and healthy made it all worth it. That was yesterday, and I can barely walk today. My ankles, hips, lower back, and shoulders are really sore. :( Amazing how a little prune-fetus can wreak such havoc on your physiology!
I need maternity leggings. I'm still wearing regular leggings (with the waist rolled down to my pubic bone...which allows my butt crack to stick out...)
Did you see any stretchy knee-length or just above-knee skirts at either store? Leggings are comfy, but I don't always like my butt on display in spandex and I LOVE skirts. And, I could even wear them in warm weather. I love wearing leggins underneath stretchy skirts in winter with boots and a sweater. :)

I don't know how you get out of bed like that in the middle of the night. I feel SO nauseous when I get over-tired.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Blissful_maia. 40 below! Ahhhh! We are at -5F today and it is more than cold enough. Getting up in the middle of the night in the dark and cold sounds so horrid!

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Blissful_maia. 40 below! Ahhhh! We are at -5F today and it is more than cold enough. Getting up in the middle of the night in the dark and cold sounds so horrid!
I have to wonder if at some point, it all feels the same. You know?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I have to wonder if at some point, it all feels the same. You know?
I used to think that. But after last winter I can unfortunately tell the difference. We walk to and from school everyday and I have learned that there is a difference in the rate at which nostrils freeze. Even though anything below 10f ifs horrid, there are indeed worse levels of horrid.

·
Registered
547 Posts
We had a cold snap today, but not as cold as @blissful_maia! It's still making me long for spring and it's only January...a loooong way to go yet! Other than that I have a serious case of the Mondays today and I'm counting down until I can leave work and go home and nap.

·
Registered
583 Posts
@blissful_maia, I hope you have support from other midwives and students who are picking up where you need to drop. 1st trimester births are rough, especially with a busy practice and not enough recovery time. Whew. I am not doing births right now and am so thankful. I would be in a rough spot if I were. I have, however, missed the sweet, quiet and dark nights out with the ladies at births and always, the births and mamas themselves. Best recovery to you!

Umm, -40. I cannot imagine a wool coat being enough for that weather. How does one stay warm at any time with that kind of cold. Does this last long every winter? Talk about getting rid of bugs!

It is mild here in the temperate rain forest of the pacific NW. We have had rain and, right now, it is cloudy with a beautiful mid-winter peach horizon.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
0High of 34 F here today and VERY windy. I took the kids to the playground and they lasted 45 minutes (I sat in the car for part of it so I was only out for 25 minutes.) The boys would have stayed out longer but my daughter asked if we could leave and I think I said "YES!" before she even finished her sentence!

Supposed to be in the low 20s the rest of the week. Ugh.

I MUST find something for us to do for the next couple of months that involves running around. Maybe I should look into the Y again... We paid some discounted rate last time we were members but then I was pregnant and dropped it because I felt like crap and didn't go enough.

·
Registered
210 Posts
So envious of the winter wonderlands! I have to go look to see where you all live... It's warm and balmy here today but we're in for a wicked cold week, too.

Envious!! I went to Old Navy and got two shirts - one long sleeve and one short sleeve. Didn't make it to the consignment store I wanted to go to....maybe this week.

I have to get a picture of myself in my new shirt - holy baby belly! It's fitted and stretchy and super comfy/cute, but there's no hiding that belly.
Ugh, maternity clothes. So far that's my least favorite thing about pregnancy (well maybe second to throwing up every day for the whole first trimester). Target and Walmart are the only places here that have anything in-store and their sections are really small. I'm also finding out that I can't cram my boobs into anything Target has to offer and their maternity pants and jeans are all six inches too long for me (5'7 but with a long torso and short legs so I usually get pants in "short."). I have a feeling I'm going to have to do mostly online shopping with a lot of returns. I'm really committed now to not starting out my next pregnancy borderline plus size so I can actually find some cute maternity clothes, right now I'm gonna have to resort to a toga when my belly pops.

·
Registered
195 Posts
-40 is soooo cold! It's about -4C here not sure what that is in Fahrenheit. I find it cold! We got about 3 feet of snow in the last 24 hrs my 2.5 year old is having a blast. We pulled her in the sled to the park where she went skiing :) shes loving playing in the snow and I love how it tires her out! I guess walking hip deep in snow would do that. I feel like I don't look like I need maternity clothes but pants are sooo uncomfortable. I admire you guys for having the energy to shop! I am putting it off. I tried using one of my silly belly band things for a couple of days but it just keeps riding up and I am so worried about not noticing and just walking around with my button gaping! I switched to my maternity jeans and more comfortable even though I don't feel like I "need " them. I am 12 w 3d and last night I started filling out my pregnancy journal which was so nice. It just made everything more real. A few hours later I felt the baby! It feel just like when I felt my daughter only slightly lighter. I wonder if I could be a little bit further along.

·
Registered
509 Posts
It;s cold here, too. Thankfully not THAT cold. haha I am finishing up a BG diaper snap conversion order. It is killing me. Lack of motivation and such. The mama has been so sweet though that I may serge her up some flannel wipes for being patient with me. :)

I am also trying to wait patiently for mt Harmony results. The New Years Day slowed it down I think. My midwife had two births back to back yesterday. I am hoping she can call and check in with the lab today.

I think I might make oatmeal cookies later.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I just finished the biggest day of my first trimester, work wise. I was nervous leading up to it since I am still in the throws of MS- I cannot wait to call this over!

(((Warning- total TMI))))

I will start off by saying that I woke up at 3:30 to eat, no big deal. I finished my turkey and water and a teeny tiny little droplet of my last sip went onto my wind pipe. No biggy, right. I cough. Damn. I ended up projectile vomiting all over the bathroom- water and bits of turkey at 3:45 in the morning. It was so over the top that I actually laughed once I got done with the vomiting and shaking and heaving. the walls, floor, toilet, all the stuff in there- everything was dripping. Completely over the top.

To make it worse, I burped after vomiting and it tasted like turkey and I convinced myself that I still had enough food in my stomach that I could just crawl back into bed. Wrong. I spent the next hour trying to get to sleep before finally deciding that was not happening.

All of this to say, this began the big day where we had to drive 6 hours total, there and back, to go meet with some potential new partners and take them through a facilitated process. So this meant being 'on' all day. it also meant that I had to eat in front of everyone, constantly. So, I brought a decoy bag of snacks for everyone. It worked. Everyone ate. I was able to pull the day off and while my body is sore from all the driving and I am really tired, I am also feeling so thankful that I got through it and that it went so well.

Small things here but wow, if others who are going through this MS stuff of first trimester can relate, it is so unpredictable how things will go. I seem to scope out the garbage cans and any other receptacle I could possibly make it to at any given moment. I have to have as many food choices as possible in case the one I was hoping will work, does not. It is a crazy way to live! Please let it be over soon!!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
It keeps changing from way below freezing (-20C) to just above freezing -in a day. Hard to know what to expect.

I'm back on cutting up leather jackets and making shoulder bags with waterproof linings that could be used as a diaper bag. I cut up a cool belt to finish yesterday's bag :

And I'm halfway done on today's bag, a simple black one. It's been nice to get back into sewing! Almost a month off due to holiday traveling and houseguests.

Need to finish planning our basement renovation. I have an actual guest room for my mom down there which is also a sewing room the rest of the year and I want it done and furnished and lovely before my mom visits in summer!
Feeling cautiously optimistic about feeling less nauseated..... Still food does not sit well but I'm slightly better most of the time. I'll take it.
Today's the last day of the first trimester for me!! Woot!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts