Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Babies!!! I woke up thinking that any day now, we're going to start having BABIES! Like, regularly spaced babies, coming one after another! So exciting!! Now we have our first baby girl! :love

I had The Best Day Ever yesterday!!! We went to an Amish picnic, a "customer appreciation" picnic and it was as lovely as could be.
We arrived at 10 am which turned out to be a bit early so DH played ball outside with all of the kids while I sat inside with the women and de-stemmed strawberries and chatted. :love

When we first met this family, I think we had three kids and they had two and then they surpassed us with their fifth baby 8 months ago and here we are "catching up." Their youngest is such a sweet and adorable baby girl and we all couldn't get enough of her - especially Sophie, my 12 year old, just didn't want to leave her! Thankfully I could assure her that within the next month, she'd have plenty of baby girl to hold whenever she desired. :love

The food was incredible and I ate SO much that I could barely move. Raw, whipped cream from that morning's milking with just-picked strawberries, chicken, beef, potatoes, cottage cheese, and loads of butter that was nearly orange with nutrients, and sour cream, homemade kombucha and kimchi, and they even brought out every flavor of ice cream they make!

A group of bikers showed up from Philly with sleeves of tattoos, there must have been 20 of them, men and women, and the camaraderie was a beautiful thing! What a sight to see, extended Amish family sitting around the lawn with a group of bikers, thoroughly and genuinely enjoying one another's company! Made my heart melt a bit and think that the world ain't such a messed up place after all.

DH and I ended up latching on to one of the first few guests to arrive, a couple in their early 50s who recently gave up their city life and bought 12 acres in the country and a cow! I was in heaven, talking cow for hours on end! I've always dreamed of having a cow and these people have researched every single little detail that has crossed my mind, right down to A1/A2 genes! We swapped phone numbers and they invited us out for a visit as soon as baby is here and we're settled.

We spent SEVEN HOURS at this picnic! Pure heaven! On the way home, we spontaneously decided to stop by our CSA around 6pm to pick strawberries. So Sebastian slept in the car while Sophie and Samual played basketball right next to him while DH and I spent a little over an hour in the twilight magic down in the fields.
We picked 23 quarts of berries, not including all of the ones we stuffed into our mouths! The perfecting ending to the perfect day!

So today shall be a day of kicking back in the sun by the pool. Sigh. This is the life. I love summer. Though I have to admit, coming home from a day of no electricity to the a/c-cooled house and a nice shower was pretty amazing. :lol
I was romanced by the off-grid life of the Amish all day, day-dreaming of living a similar life, but being 9 months pregnant without a/c in a PA summer can't be very comfortable.

Everyone leaves for camp today. Can you believe my oldest, who threw the biggest tantrum about going to camp in the first place asked me last night if she could go with my sister? The nerve! :lol It's still not out of the question that we'll head up maybe Tuesday and come home Thursday, just to see everyone for a quick visit, but I am not committing to it, just leaving it up in the air.

What's on everyone's agenda this week? Getting ready for baby, I imagine!

·
Registered
219 Posts
@Meta, do you mean YOU were squatting down picking strawberries?? Holy cow. I can't imagine! I just squatted for a minute to transfer laundry from the washer to the dryer above and my ankles can barely take it!

So thrilled for @LittleKind!! And a bit jealous : ) Congratulations, mama!! Can't wait to hear how it went and how your 4 yo is adjusting!

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Meta, do you mean YOU were squatting down picking strawberries?? Holy cow. I can't imagine! I just squatted for a minute to transfer laundry from the washer to the dryer above and my ankles can barely take it!
Yep! For almost 2 hours last night and for about the same on Tuesday! The only bit that bothered me was my actual belly because I was squishing the baby. If I tried to stand and lean over, I got tons of reflux. I picked at a snail's pace compared to DH... There were *so* many strawberries though that I didn't have to waddle down the rows very quickly; I could stay in one spot and nearly fill a quart container. :yum

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Ahhhhhh your day sounds SO dreamy @Metasequoia! :love Sigh. I am similarly amazed by your squatting to pick berries for hours though. I can barely squat down to switch my laundry from the washer to the dryer lately and frequently enlist my daughters or dh for help. :lol

I'm having a mother's blessing today and am super excited! I'm getting my belly painted and having a feast mmmm! Curious to see what everyone brings. :) I will post a pic later!

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm having a mother's blessing today and am super excited! I'm getting my belly painted and having a feast mmmm! Curious to see what everyone brings. :) I will post a pic later!
Oooooooo, this sounds wonderful!! :love I can't wait to hear all about it! Have fun!

·
Registered
145 Posts
We went strawberry picking yesterday! My husband was at a work retreat all day, so it was just me and the girls- we just picked up our farm share and then picked about 6 quarts of strawberries! I wasn't sure I'd be able to pick any, but we went early enough that the heat didn't make me dizzy and my two oldest girls did a great job of picking! Then we visited my almost-93-yr-old grandma and gave her some of the freshly picked strawberries! It's always so sweet to see my girls interact with her- my 8 year old takes selfies with her and explained Instagram, my 6 year old showing off all her dance moves and acro tricks, and my 2 year old just being her freshly adorable self. I am due a week before my grandmothers 93rd birthday, and I am having my best friend, (who is an extemely talented photographer, and took pictures of my last birth and will this one too) she's going to come over when my grandmother comes to meet the baby! I can't wait to have these beautiful pictures of the extremes of life and age!

·
Registered
145 Posts
@blissful_maia

That sounds wonderful!! I am sure you will enjoy it! I have been wanting to get some henna done on my belly this time, but am unsure where to get it done.

@metasequoia
What a fun day!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
That sounds so nice @blissfulmaia !!

Our yoga teacher led a nice little circle today at the end of class where we each chose a rock and passed them around to one another and with each one we thought of a wish or intention we had for that Mama. It was really beautiful and actually quite emotional. It's very cool bc we are almost all at the end of out pregnancies (between 35-37 weeks). I think I'll take my rock with me when I have our baby so I can have all those lovely thoughts while I deliver. I really love this class. I think I'm going to miss it a lot once baby comes!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I think last week it was renovations as the theme and this week is STRAWBERRIES! We had a great weekend. Asa set up the crib and changing table in our bedroom which has been kind of nagging me lately. I just wanted it to be done. And now it is. And now it feels impossible to get in and out of bed. :/ But at least it isn't on my mind anymore. I processed 25 half-pints of strawberry jam and froze 8 quarts of whole berries. Unfortunately, my jam only half set up. I have no idea what the issue was. I don't have the motivation to recan it either so I think we will just live with it.

DH and my stepson worked outside and weeded the garden a bunch this weekend. All of this hot and humid weather is making the garden OUT OF CONTROL. Our tomatoes are as tall as me and our snow peas are about 7 feet tall. Crazy and awesome. We are also pulling a ton of broccoli out of the garden. I made these yummy broccoli, egg, cheese and onion muffin things to freeze for once the baby comes. They can be consumed with one hand and apparently freeze well. I am thinking I am going to make another batch tonight for this week to just grab on the go. My stepson has a fencing camp at school so he is riding in to work with me and then biking over to his school. He may enjoy a nice egg cup. :)

I steam cleaned our one rug (rest of the house is hardwood) and my car also this weekend. It was soooooo satisfying to see the dirty water. And now our rug doesn't smell like dog. Which, btw, I was the only one who could smell it but it was driving me crazy!

We also went to a Mexican themed potluck on Saturday! So good! So much food. I was stuffed but comfortably so. I can't wait to hear what the next theme is. :) Hopefully not Indian as I cannot stomach Indian food right now. Haven't been able to this whole pregnancy. I dream of saag being back in my life....

I have also started going to the pool. Holy cow. Like a freaking dream. I feel so heavy and huge and uncomfortable right now and the pool takes all of that away! It's so amazing. It does give me indigestion. Probably because I do summersaults in the water to try to get the baby to flip....

My friend who was due June 16th had her baby this weekend! I healthy baby boy born at home! We have been prego buddies. I am so happy for her. He's beautiful. I can't wait to meet him! :)

On the agenda for this week.....just trying to process food from the garden and eat as much delicious food as possible. I want to work on a c-section birth plan just in case. That's a good project for at my desk. :) I decided to be done with work on June 26th so my two week countdown starts today! Woohooo!

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@rcb215 ~ I'm amazed you've been processing anything! We have these 23 quarts of strawberries that I need to do something with... I'm even thinking of just mashing them, putting them in 1/2 pint Ball jars and freezing... Then we can just thaw them out and serve them over whipped cream or make ice cream or a syrup for pancakes, etc.

Pick-as-much-as-you-want is continuing all this week! I hope to get out 2 more days to pick... I'm not sure I'll be able to pick as many tomatoes as I usually do all summer at the CSA so I'm focusing on strawberries!

The pool is weird, right??! I got in yesterday and had tootsies poking out of my side. A little boy asked why my belly was so big so I told him a baby was in it and he asked if it was going to die. His dad was mortified! But his mom was quick and said that she thinks he asked because he can't imagine how a person can live inside of a belly without air, etc. And he lost a pet recently and will likely lose his grandfather soon so he's processing a lot of death - and how can you separate life and death?

Today is gray and we're expecting thunderstorms this evening. It stormed last night and really, there's a chance of thunderstorms every day this week.

Oh - grossness! Thank goodness this happened after I left the pool, but somebody pooped in the water! Like big floating log! Ewwwww!! I think we'll wait a while before going back...yuck.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
@Metasequoia, that farm sounds amazing! Those picnics are great.
@blissful_maia - I hope you had a fun time yesterday
@rcb215, I can't believe how huge your garden is already! Our seeds are sprouting and are about 3" tall now. We have been getting tons of rain, but hardly any sun. We usually don't get tomatoes until August it seems.

This week for me will be a relaxing one. We have a quick appointment today, a picnic park playmate tomorrow, and Wednesday is the busiest day. 39 week check up, coffee with friends, and a night street market in the evening. No plans right now for Thursday or Friday, but maybe we'll get to go swimming if the weather cooperates.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Oh, two more things on my mind. One is planning a baby shower for my sister in late August. I'm trying to get a lot done now before baby comes. The other is finding outfits for everyone for the August 1st wedding they are all in. I asked for outfit info MONTHS ago, with the hopes of finding clothes in the spring when there is more "formal" wear available at regular stores. Apparently this was way too far in advance for the bride and groom and now we are not finding much. So frustrating to me because I'm not spending hundreds of dollars on kid's outfits they will only wear once.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I'm about to put Ana and myself down for naps, but I was just reading this and one of the girls has my scale. I want to know how many of my dates is in the 100g the nutrition info states on here. I'm eating 6 a day as best I can for the last nearly week. Sooo anyway, here's a link to the nutrition info on dates.
http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/dates.html

The lady at the health food store (when I got the dates) said she always took a good dose of magnesium when she went into labor and it helped move things along better. I wonder if it made a gut reaction from too much and thus triggered stronger contractions? Anyone heard this?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I'm about to put Ana and myself down for naps, but I was just reading this and one of the girls has my scale. I want to know how many of my dates is in the 100g the nutrition info states on here. I'm eating 6 a day as best I can for the last nearly week. Sooo anyway, here's a link to the nutrition info on dates.
http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/dates.html

The lady at the health food store (when I got the dates) said she always took a good dose of magnesium when she went into labor and it helped move things along better. I wonder if it made a gut reaction from too much and thus triggered stronger contractions? Anyone heard this?
I have Tunisian dates. There were 18-19 in 100 grams.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
@Emanresu I have no idea what type these are. She sells them bagged in 1 lb bags as "Organic pitted dates"....

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
@tomsmom31, that is a beautiful ritual in your yoga class and I totally think that you should bring the rock to the hospital. :heartbeat

@Metasequoia and @rcb215 you two are killing me talking about ripe fresh strawberries... mmmm. It will be little while until berries are in full swing here. LOVE them. And Mexican food, I have been obsessed since like 6 weeks pregnant and still going strong. :lol What kind of things did they serve at the party @rcb215?

@Metasequoia, that is a crazy question from that little guy! But I agree given the circumstances in his life (and apparently he's not a big brother yet?) that it's a natural thing to wonder! Awww.

@Emanresu do any of the thrift/consigment stores in your area sell formal wear? We have one here that has a great section and it's perfect for situations like that where the kids will only wear it once or twice and usually the people who consigned it only wore it once too! Something to look into anyway.

@MrsKoehn, I'd say the most common dates are Medjool, weird that the bag doesn't specify! Are they dark and squishy or firmer and more shiny/glossy on the outside? Re: the magnesium in labour I would think that it's the bowel effects as well because otherwise it would be relaxing to muscles (including the uterus) which I would think would slow things!

AFM, my mother's blessing was amazing. I'll upload a few pics in a new post (they're on my phone). I had my belly painted with flowers and fairies, my feet soaked in a hot foot bath with arnica oil and flowers, and everyone made me a birth bracelet and we did a candle ceremony so they can all light a candle for me and baby in labour. :love The food was DIVINE! Several different salads, stuffed peppers, delicious eggplant with herbs, sweet and savoury salsas, gooey fresh mozzarella... I could go on. What a treat.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Wow, what a treat to come on here and read about the celebrations and all the fun things people are doing!
@blissful_maia, you are BEAUTIFUL! Such a lovely celebration! SO cool.

What an awesome day to read about @Metasequoia! I love the imagery you've invoked! I love how much good people, good company and a good day can make a huge difference in how capable we feel to keep up with things! I know that I would have been really beat after a day of being out and about but can imagine being fed in body and soul in such a way that the whole family is at peace. Sounds lovely!
@tomsmom, what a sweet class ritual to be able to be a apart of! It sounds like you all had the "it" of a good class! So nice to have the camaraderie of other woman (in person!)!
@Emanresu- 39weeks! What?! I am totally behind here at 34 weeks tomorrow BUT, that is amazing- you are so close! I am ecstatic that we are already getting babies!!! So fun to know that yours is not far behind!
@MrsKoehn, we have mom's on magnesium regularly in pregnancy and it is not just for symptoms in pregnancy. A big reason we use it (over here in these parts!) is for labor. It has shown to decrease pain and increase efficiency in labor. Read- one "issue" is precipitous births. There is a clear correlation between high levels of magnesium prenatally and precipitous births or really fast, faster than otherwise would be. So, on our end, if a mom has already had precipitous birth, and she wants to avoid this, we will recommend decreasing or going off of it on the last month or more, depending on the other symptoms she is having and using it for. The most I can say off the top of my VERY pregnant and hot brain is that magnesium helps the body's smooth muscle contraction efficiency. If we have maximum levels of magnesium in our body at the time of birth, it is said and I have also found that labor is "easier". Do you like the quotes here?! I could go on but I am not sure I need to. As far as type of magnesium, as a community of midwives, we started with Mag aspartame and came to find that the whole spectrum was helpful and important. If I had a mom in my care who has had really fast labors in the past and wanted to slow things down, this is one way to go about doing it and vice versa!

So, I went up and visited my 8 month old nephew and his dads this past weekend. The drive nearly killed me! But that sweet boy made it all worth it. I got funny looks as I was carrying him around- no more of the oh, how sweet baby or awe, you're about to have a baby. Instead I got the embarrassed looks of people taking in my big belly with this little baby and looking away! It was really funny and sad! I had to have fun with that though! I cannot imagine having babies so close together. ALL my respect goes out to mom's who have done this! WOW. Hard work that would be. Just leaning over or getting him into a restful state over my big belly, so much work! But, so worth it. He is so sweet and awesome.

I am jealous of all the strawberry perfection everyone is enjoying too! I have lovely strawberries ripe and delicious in my yard but I was recently tested allergic to them. It happens every time this season rolls around! Tomatoes too. Poor me! But, I also have delicious blueberries that I have to get to before the birds do and I have been absolutely needing to restrain myself around watermelon! Watermelon is amazing. I love it and could eat a whole one every 2 days, if I let myself! Something about the heat here and cooling off with juicy cool melon! Delicious!

My baby has stolen my heart over here! This little one is just so darn cute and awesome and amazing. I have come to relax in the time I have left. I feel so grateful for it! I need this time and still it feels so short! I have come to embrace the lovely fact that I am going to get significantly bigger! I have to start mapping out my trips out of the city to the watering holes soon though! I have so much to do, contrary to all of you moms with your relaxed 4th and 5th babies! I really really need to clean out the cupboards and the fridge and freezer and bake some things- just like you @rcb215! I also have to go through all of the baby stuff we have been given and organize it to put away for when baby is bigger, wash all the diapers and assess what we have- oh no, you all don't need to hear my long list!

I have not been able to eat dates. I love the idea. DH eats them more than me. They just are not making it onto my plate. They are just not tasting good to me. darn it!

Have a great week all! I cannot believe how quickly time is passing! Amazing, right?!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
@Wild Rose - I'm due the 24th of June, but fully expecting to go at least 41 weeks, which is July 1st. :)
@blissful_maia - not sure on the consignment shops, but I will ask around. I am more of a rummage shopper and a clearance shopper so I don't get to consignment shops often.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts