Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting SO close to July! I feel like I'm on this ride and I can't get off! Sort of like a roller coaster. :D

Got my car seat all cleaned up yesterday, just need to put it back together. I actually submerged the strap in water to clean it (very gently) but when I Googled the manual, it specifically said NOT to submerge it because it can weaken it. Wondering if I should get a new one or leave it alone...

I also washed and lanolized my wool covers. :love

Fathers' Day! (Yep, I moved that apostrophe, too.) Anyone doing anything special with Dad? My DH still hasn't said anything specific other than a vague "Maybe we should go to the mall." It rained like crazy all night long and it's insanely humid and wet right now - and not supposed to clear up for a while... I suppose walking in the a/c wouldn't be so bad...

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I feel like submerging a strap ONE time can't possibly ruin the integrity of that strap *that* much, but I'm sure all the car seat experts will insist on a new strap. I feel like a strap would show some signs of wear, like fraying edges, before just completely busting. But...I'm no expert!

We are having my family over for dinner, well my mom is making everything, but it will be at our house. Before that my husband and son are going on a long bike ride and the girls and I are meeting them with a picnic. Seems like the weather should cooperate.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel like submerging a strap ONE time can't possibly ruin the integrity of that strap *that* much, but I'm sure all the car seat experts will insist on a new strap. I feel like a strap would show some signs of wear, like fraying edges, before just completely busting. But...I'm no expert!
I know, me too. But the entire point of the seat is to protect my baby in a crash, so I guess I figure if I specifically did something that the manual says NOT to do, I should take it seriously. But I know what you mean...seems kind of intense for just submerging in water... If my baby puked all over the straps (which has happened in our other seats a gazillion times), the straps would be totally saturated in vomit (which is acidic!) and I actually removed and washed all of those harness straps... I guess it's a gamble and yet another decision I need to make. I already emailed the company and am hoping they'll just offer to send another harness (free of charge!) It would probably be better than taking the chance and if we ever did have a crash, at least I'd know the harness wasn't compromised by something I did.

DH just took Sebastian for a walk then we're going for brunch (even though the kids and I have been eating all morning so far and we're not hungry... He was out helping a neighbor with something.)

Still washing diapers.... And knocking out these homeschool portfolios!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Happy Sunday everyone! I made Asa breakfast today and delivered him coffee in bed. I used to do this all the time but I think this is a first since getting pregnant. We mowed and did yard work today. I ran the weed whacker for like 15 minutes and it totally destroyed me. I'm like a zombie now. I made all the food for our dinner picnic yesterday; pulled pork, potato salad, cut up watermelon. We had Asa's dad out for a bit. He's in a nursing home at 60 something, 67 maybe? He's physically well but had a brain tumor the size of a softball removed as few years ago and now has no short term memory. Really sad!

The dog rolled in crap behind our house in the woods today so I had to give dog baths. Not mg favorite chore.

Yelled at my stepson in the yard yesterday. Kinda feel bad but honestly kinda don't. He is so incredibly lazy sometimes. Every time he is asked to do something, after asking 20 times if he is done he yet and about 25 minutes he either has to crap (which he will literally spent 45 minutes in the bathroom), needs to eat or has a headache. Yesterday I just had mg fill. I was so pissed. Then today we found two of his toenails on the carpet. Eh. So frustrating. He goes back to his moms for a few days tonight and I think the break will be good for me.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I had a totally different day than I planned. I had prepared to go swimming in a swimming hole nearby. I had also planned on sleeping well. But, instead, I woke up feeling not so good and grumpy and hungry. Yesterday I was on my feet all day until 11- I was SO beat and I didn't eat enough to boot. I got on Dh for all the things we need to do that I need his help with and so he decided yesterday was the day to get started- we cleaned all the moss off of 2 sides of the house and it was a day long project- starting with the hardware store and needing my constant attention so while I was nearby, I was weeding and pruning and running all over the place to get things and turn water on and off etc. Wow. Then, I went out to my HS reunion. It was great to see all those faces of people and to hear what they are up to! I stayed way longer than anticipated and needed to have eaten but the food sucked and I was so wrapped up in the moment it did not happen. I drove home wondering at the safety of my driving because I felt so weird. Thankfully, Dh had made dinner and it was still warm and totally great.

Anyhoo, today, the day I had thought I would spend outside swimming and hiking, instead I woke up early and made breakfast, starving and tired, having not slept well at all. Then I went to go get dressed and instead laid back down and didn't wake up until 2:30! WOW, I was tired. I was completely out. And i woke up feeling a new person. I do love days like this where I catch up on much needed sleep but I must say that it is a bummer to miss out on a whole beautiful day. Especially because tomorrow is Monday and so I have to wait another full week for the weekend! Boo!

I have a watermelon problem! I cannot stop. Help me!
@Metasequoia, Your trip sounded perfect. Good for you for making it happen but not staying too long. Giving yourself and the kids a chance to do it but not getting over it like can happen when you're sleeping terribly for a whole week on a bad mattress!

Happy Fathers' day to all your sweet dh's!
@catladymeow, how did I miss it that we are due date buddies this whole time! That is so fun! And FTM's too!

I got a lot of sweet compliments from people last night. It was really nice and completely unexpected. Only 1 other pregnant mama that I knew of. I didn't actually get to see everyone though as I had to cut out and just could not endure being on my feet any longer and not eating.

Enjoy the week all! Gosh, we are waiting on 2 birth stories! So fun! Such anticipation! I am not anywhere near giving birth yet, I just feel like I will be growing this baby for a while still. But, I will be turning 35 weeks this Tuesday and I always celebrate this because it means that there is a home birth certainty from here on out, barring anything unexpected, baby is big enough and ready enough to be born at home!! :grin:

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I took DD to this cute midsummer festival yesterday at this "stables yard" place (direct translation) that has horses/carriage/pony rides and a cafe, live music, and playground and handicrafts shop and chocolatery. My friend who is 34 weeks pregnant with a similar age daughter was there too. DD had a great time and I...was on my feet a lot. Then did the grocery shopping and made it home, was out and about for 4 hrs and felt like my lower back and hips were going to give out on me and crack open! I felt so sorry for my aching body that I wept the whole drive home while toddler slept in the carseat.
Father's day is in November here so DH just needed to work from home and mow the lawn and he cleaned up around the house some.
I'm going to visit a pregnant mom friend today (our daughters are 6mo apart in age and these next babies will also be) and maybe go to a park if it does not rain.
I am so sick of 55-60 degree weather and raining!!!! I want it to warm up enough to go swim in that lake I can see from my living room window!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I hope everyone had a good weekend.

Wildrose and Rcb215, sounds like you were both super busy!

We had a nice weekend too. Saturday we had to do the grocery shopping for our son's preschool. We walked around our neighborhood afterwards. The sun would shine and then it would start raining. We ended up running home in a down pour.

Sunday was better we went to a street food event at our local market hall for brunch. And then walked around the neighborhood going from playground to playground with DS. He ended up naked and covered in sand, but it was fun to see him having such a blast. It was nice spending some of our last time together as a family of 3.

I'm 37 weeks now and it all feels so surreal. I just can't quite grasp that I'll be having another baby soon!

I ordered all the baby things we still needed. Now I just have a whole long list of things to clean and organize before baby gets here. I'm hoping to launder and wash everything that needs it this week. Ideally I want everything checked off my list by 39 weeks. Then I can sit back relax and wait on baby.

Oh and I found out I'm GBS negative this time around! So yay! Now I can labor at home for as long as I want before heading to the hospital.

·
Registered
122 Posts
But, I will be turning 35 weeks this Tuesday and I always celebrate this because it means that there is a home birth certainty from here on out, barring anything unexpected, baby is big enough and ready enough to be born at home!! :grin:
I was just wondering about the cut off week for homebirth the other day and read a lot of conflicting things when I googled. Most websites said 36/37 weeks. Some midwives said no HB till 38 (!) weeks onwards. Anything less than that is risky and irresponsible. In your opinion /experience, 35 weeks is good enough for safe HB?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I'm also addicted to watermelon now! It's so so so refreshing and sweet!

Today is better than yesterday, I'm not in tears sitting in the living room, counting the hours, like I was at this time yesterday. I have had such a bout of prenatal depression these last few days, just really having dark thoughts cloud my head and for no other reason than I am miserable and hate being pregnant with a passion and feel so sorry for my own discomfort. Such skewed vision when hormones drag you down into an emotional pit!

I thought about a pedicure or hiring a cleaner to come scrub my house or some sort of pampering thing to do that might, just might, cheer me up. Instead I got convinced (by the other discussion forum community i belong to) about how great Japanese and Korean skin care is even for Caucasian women and I have been out of everything for months, haven't bought any this year, so I ordered up a whole kit of top selling (&recommended by my group of online lady friends)products on amazon : two types of cleansers, an "essence", a toner, a serum, an exfoliator and a sunscreen. Way over a hundred dollars for those seven products including shipping but buying here off the shelf anything but the cheapest possible brand would be at least 20/item so it's about the same. Just feels very splurgey when I have not bought any skin care in seven months and I have been using plain coconut oil (mixed with sugar&rinsed to exfoliate, no sugar to moisturize) for ages after my last purchase of Olay products ran out (which were not cheaper even buying off the shelf at Walmart last December). I am actually really jazzed about trying a more elaborate skin care regime and hoping to actually see results. I don't actually have any skin issues to solve at this point in my life (3 years ago I finally took medicine which cured my adult acne issues so have some faint signs of old scars but no new breakouts in foreeeeeever), so I usually get discouraged by packaged skin potions when I see no difference and I go back to soap, coconut oil, etc.... Because it's cheap and simple and I get the same results. But after reading a lot of raves from the ladies in my other online community, I just had to try. Hopefully I will start seeing the products in a week or so arrive and I can try them. It's equally irrational how much this little splurge cheered me up, as my weeping so much yesterday was irrational! But hey, whatever works!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've been absent fora few days! We had a nice weekend that was sunny and hot. Saturday we did chores around the house and went for a couple of walks and then on Sunday we went to our friends' house for a bbq. They have a nice backyard to sit in whereas we just have a balcony off of our appointment so I like going there in the summer.

Other than that not much to report. Busy busy busy at work trying to get everything wrapped up in the next 3 weeks for maternity leave starts!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Today I get to meet baby Mack! My friend just had her baby at home a week ago yesterday. I am taking them dinner tonight. I have a medley of deliciousness to take them. I have some of the pulled pork I made, watermelon, potato salad, lactation cookies (that are soooooooo damn good) and some iced mother's milk tea sweeten with maple syrup. I asked her yesterday if she needed anything from town and she asked me to pick up some Seventh Generation disposable newborn diapers....it took me 6 stores before finding them! I couldn't believe it! It's like 85 here today so I was this giant pregnant lady waddling around to all these different stores. I eventually found some at Target and a different type at Wegmans (right next to each other) so I bought three packs. Haha. I kept thinking, I DON"T WANT her to have this same run around if she comes to town. Three packs should last a few days.

This is the recipe for the cookies I made:
http://www.justmommies.com/blog/2013/02/the-best-damn-lactation-cookies-youll-ever-eat/

I used spelt flour instead of regular wheat flour and recipe says to add eggs one at a time but the eggs aren't in the ingredients list. You don't need the eggs. The flaxseed meal serves as the binder. Oh! I also added frozen blueberries that we picked last year. They are so, so good! I have eaten far too many! I am dropping the rest off at a friend's house who has a 4 month old that she is nursing.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I was just wondering about the cut off week for homebirth the other day and read a lot of conflicting things when I googled. Most websites said 36/37 weeks. Some midwives said no HB till 38 (!) weeks onwards. Anything less than that is risky and irresponsible. In your opinion /experience, 35 weeks is good enough for safe HB?
Hi Missmuffet, the laws are different in each state in the US! So aggravating, no?!

Yes, babies at 35 weeks are typically just fine born at home. If there is any cause for concern, i.e.- the dates are wrong, then one has to make a good judgment on this. Are you having a home birth?

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yelled at my stepson in the yard yesterday. Kinda feel bad but honestly kinda don't. He is so incredibly lazy sometimes. Every time he is asked to do something, after asking 20 times if he is done he yet and about 25 minutes he either has to crap (which he will literally spent 45 minutes in the bathroom), needs to eat or has a headache. Yesterday I just had mg fill. I was so pissed. Then today we found two of his toenails on the carpet. Eh. So frustrating. He goes back to his moms for a few days tonight and I think the break will be good for me.
I really admire your grace in raising your stepson, @rcb215. :hug It must be difficult to balance everything you have going on right now. I know I've been feeling extremely guilty about my lack of involvement with my kids lately and just generally not feeling like a "good mother." I imagine the dynamic is a bit different for you and with the discomforts of pregnancy added in, I think you're just amazing.

My midwife has always said 35 weeks to me...

I asked her yesterday if she needed anything from town and she asked me to pick up some Seventh Generation disposable newborn diapers....it took me 6 stores before finding them! I couldn't believe it!
I couldn't find Seventh Gen. newborn diapers either! Wegman's didn't have them... I just wanted one pack for the meconium and so that I wouldn't have to worry about doing diaper wash immediately postpartum. I ended up buying Naty Diapers from our little local whole foods store instead.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I may have figured out a piece of my headache puzzle...

I woke up this morning feeling a bit off, like I had a headache brewing but it wasn't there yet. Within a half hour, I got the migraine aura! I immediately took 2 ibuprofen and laid down. This time I stayed calm and just rested, slept a teeny bit and then took a long, hot shower. I feel MUCH better.

So I started thinking about what I ate yesterday and DH picked up the groceries for our cajun chicken linguini last night. Rather than the usual local grass-fed cream that I'd get, he got an organic, pastured but ultra-pasteurized, sort of mainstream heavy cream that also had carrageenan. I was a bit concerned about it when I read the ingredients but threw caution to the wind and we used it.

So I Googled 'carrageenan headaches' and these were the very two hits that came up:

http://amateurfooddetective.blogspot.com/2010/05/link-between-migraines-and-carrageenan.html

http://relievemypain.blogspot.com/2012/06/carrageenan-sickening-thickener-is-it.html

I guess I can't be laid back about food even if it's organic and pastured... Better to stick to the local stuff from farmers I know and trust. Sigh.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi Missmuffet, the laws are different in each state in the US! So aggravating, no?!

Yes, babies at 35 weeks are typically just fine born at home. If there is any cause for concern, i.e.- the dates are wrong, then one has to make a good judgment on this. Are you having a home birth?
I'm not familiar with HB laws back home in the US actually.. All my births took place outside the US in 3rd world countries where homebirth is totally unheard of even though it was the norm up until twenty yrs ago! That said, I was blessed with a rare gem of a homebirth mw for my last birth - an old Palestinian woman who has combined ancient midwifery knowledge with new. You know, the kind who sits in the corner and knits. I was curious about HB safety prior to 38 wks because I'm barely 35 now and was experiencing some whopper Braxton hicks for a few days in a row. So 35 wk Olds can typically do well on their own if born at home??

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'm not familiar with HB laws back home in the US actually.. All my births took place outside the US in 3rd world countries where homebirth is totally unheard of even though it was the norm up until twenty yrs ago! That said, I was blessed with a rare gem of a homebirth mw for my last birth - an old Palestinian woman who has combined ancient midwifery knowledge with new. You know, the kind who sits in the corner and knits. I was curious about HB safety prior to 38 wks because I'm barely 35 now and was experiencing some whopper Braxton hicks for a few days in a row. So 35 wk Olds can typically do well on their own if born at home??
Yep. The key is to have accurate dates. Babies born at 35 weeks have developed the lung capacity to breath on their own. They don't have fat like they do full term so being sure that one takes care with temp regulation. I always also think about nervous system development at this age and being very aware of overstimulating with many people, voices and experiences too early. Some of these babies do great, some need an extra few weeks in the dark room with mom and the nipple just to feel ready to explore more of the world. I worked in many 3rd world countries where one would not know there were home birth options. Most of the time there are but they are hard to find and there is a language barrier. Unless you know your conception date, it is really hard to know the gestational age with accuracy. So, airing on the side of caution is a good idea in this case. Once for sure you are past 36, 37 weeks, I would not question babies choice to come earlier (or later!!). I am a strong proponent of also assessing pregnancy length too- some babies and mom's need more time than 42 weeks and this is normal. ( not all, but many!)

Oh and, mama's bodies getting ready for labor also help babies lung capacity develop. Unless there is a sudden birth caused by trauma or some other stimulant, the body will work with the baby to develop lung capacity faster in order to be ready to breath. We will see this in the case of a disease process developing in later pregnancy, babies are getting ready to be born earlier than they typically would be.

And while I am at it, evolutionarily, the capacity of the body, particularly in a time of extreme growth like a baby, is to favor certain areas that are needed over other areas deemed not as necessary. We see this in studies done of historical medical data during times of famine, crisis and abundance.

I could go on! Living organisms are so miraculous to me!

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Wild Rose, that's all so fascinating! Babies are so much more capable than we realize and so much more in control of birth then we could ever imagine! :love

It's like we lose so much of our wisdom and intuition as we age...

So I just read a scary birth story over in the June DDC. I think my last placenta had a lobe or two, can't remember. I never had any trouble with it though (or with any of mine, thank goddess.) I'm trying to do some positive thinking and affirmations about the placenta and delivery of it and that all goes well. That's actually the most worrisome part for me for some reason. I guess when it comes down to it, it would be unimaginably difficult to lose a newborn, heartbreaking and life-altering, but for my four children to lose their mother is a whole different story.

Okay, somebody start some positive discussions!!! Please!

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.