Mothering Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
@gabeyho I live in the California valley it is horrible right now. our lakes are dry there is simply no water. and it is soooooo hot... I bet you are real happy you moved lol.. I personally am a Californian I couldn't move. I love it here : ) . that being said I live in the northern part that will become the State of Jefferson if it passes.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
@gabeyho I live in the California valley it is horrible right now. our lakes are dry there is simply no water. and it is soooooo hot... I bet you are real happy you moved lol.. I personally am a Californian I couldn't move. I love it here : ) . that being said I live in the northern part that will become the State of Jefferson if it passes.
I'm still in California! I'm also very north, but coastal. I'm so far north, I'm almost in Oregon. My family is visiting for the 4th, and I'm supposed to go visit them in Redding in a couple weeks, and I can't say I'm looking forward to it. Except there is an In-N-Out there, so that sort of makes it ok.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
jodie: no, the lawn never got mowed. Maybe this evening....

duchess: Like Tee said, we ALL have those awful days. I like to think my kids will just forget about those as they get older.... I've had some major mommy-fail days! One time DD1 stuck pennies in the steering wheel of our van and it triggered the horn and I couldn't get the horn to turn off. I had just gotten her and DS (a baby at the time) all ready and in the van to go somewhere. It was hot as hell. I got soooo angry. I totally freaked out on the steering wheel, beating on it and screaming like a crazy person. Scared the heck out of the kids :frown:

Another time I was struggling with jealousy/envy over a good friends financial ease. We were having a hard time financially as it was and suddenly had to fix something on the car. I had had a little money set aside for something- a kids consignment sale- and we had to use it for the car and borrow some on top of it. Well, I was walking through town with this friend and she saw an expensive diaper bag in a window and exclaimed that she didn't need it but she just HAD to have it. She didn't buy it then... but I saw her two days later and she had it. I got home and had a total sobbing breakdown over it. Not the bag... I didn't have any interest in the bag. It was just that I couldn't even buy my kids USED clothing, and she could spend money like no tomorrow with complete comfort. DH and the kids must have thought I was nuts, crying and carrying on in my room.

Heck, I'm feeling totally on the line today. The kids are driving me crazy and DH has been outside cleaning the car for like 3 hours. Seriously?!?!?! Sometimes he moves like a friggin' snail and I want to shake him. Wish I could have 3 hours all to myself, even if it means cleaning something! Maybe I will take 3 hours to cut the grass today :wink:

OT: For those of you that have kids old enough to talk and whine... do they ask to eat ALL DAY LONG? Do you let them? I swear, every half hour my kids are asking for food. It's insane and we can't afford for everyone to eat all day long! Is three meals and 2 snacks a day enough? I don't remember eating all day when I was little, and I was just fine.

·
Registered
363 Posts
OT: For those of you that have kids old enough to talk and whine... do they ask to eat ALL DAY LONG? Do you let them? I swear, every half hour my kids are asking for food. It's insane and we can't afford for everyone to eat all day long! Is three meals and 2 snacks a day enough? I don't remember eating all day when I was little, and I was just fine.
my 3 year old just tarted this mess. We used to feed him whenever he asked but now he wants to eat every minute of the day. I am trying to move to a 3 meal 2 snack day but the issue is my 17 month old is having trouble getting enough calories(and waking up at 5 starving). I need him to realize he is big and doesnt need to eat as often as the baby does. Just this morning he has had a waffle, some cereal, some oatmeal(left from his sister) and some left over cheetoes... all before 10. Its so frustrating. I need to crack down.

I have only been getting about 7 hours of sleep a day. It is not going over well. I am beginning to feel super horrible all day long. I need to get some rest this weekend. My 3 year old was so cranky this morning I put him down or a nap... 4 hours early. Hoping when he wakes up daddy will be home.

We decided to get some sparklers and write out "baby" and take pictures. Then send it to a young member of our family who is visiting my Husband's family this weekend. It might be funny to send "BABY" to her and send "COMING SOON" to another person and "FEB 5" to another. That could be funny. They will all be in the same room since they will be going out on the boat to see fireworks in the evening.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I attended a birth as a doula the last couple of days. It was an induction turned csection that just reinforced how desperately I want to have this baby at home.

My 5yo eats constantly as well. He always has. I wonder if he is hypoglycemic. I have not been officially diagnosed as such, but based on certain signs, I believe that I have been at least since high school. Pregnancy aggregates it too. I feel like I am constantly eating just so that I don't puke.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Cagnew, I can't get over your van story! My husband and I love to joke that we either have Griswold days, or that we're trapped in a Seinfeld episode. The van horn is a Griswold day for sure!

I think this is going to come across as hard-core, but I put food limits on my older kids (not my babies). My 4yo out eats my husband. Yes, she would LIKE to have more. No, she doesn't NEED to have more. The litmus test in our house is the raw carrot. It goes like this,
"Mom, I'm huuuuuuunnngryyyy."
"Grab a carrot from the cripser."
"Will you peel it?"
"Nope, it is organic and that little bit of dirt is good for you."

When she is actually hungry, she eats up that carrot. When boredom is causing her desire, she moves on to nagging me about other things. And, the fact is a carrot is a preferred food. I'm not offering something she dislikes. For what its worth, I offer three meals and one snack a day for my 4 yo, 3 meals and 2 snacks for my 17mo. Our grocery bill is so high and I want my kids to eat what I spend time preparing rather than filling up on snack-y stuff.

Denton Midwife, sorry about the hard birth you attended. My doula for DD2 became a friend and we talked about how rough it is when the birth goes out of control. I hope the mama can focus on her sweet bundle and heals well (physically and emotionally).

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
@dentonmidwife, Sorry about your experience at that birth. The past two births I did reinforced the same idea. Home is where I belong.
@cagnew, I also limit my kids on food/snack. I do similarly to @DuchessTergie. We have breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner. They can eat however much they want at meal times. Snack is just whatever amt I give them. If they want to eat anything else at a non-eating time during the day, I give them two vegetable options. "Would you like a carrot or a cucumber? Oh, neither? Well, then you are not hungry. The next meal will be served in __ minutes/hours." This keeps me sane because when I was more loosey goosey about it, my kids didn't eat at meal times because they were full from grazing all day! I don't want to spend 1-2 hours cooking a nice, homemade dinner to just have it be wasted!

Reactions: dreamingtree

·
Registered
444 Posts
Our approach to grazing is very similar--they can have a snack anytime, but odds are it's going to be a carrot or some bell pepper or maybe a piece of cheese or a hard-boiled egg. It's actually gotten to the point that our five-year-old will sanctimoniously tell our three-year-old, "You are obviously not even HUNGRY if you don't want to eat _____. Hungry people eat what they're offered." It's hilarious.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Ahhh. I live an hour south of redding.. And I'm slightly worried about the 4th. Its so dry. Hopefully everyone is safe and no fires happen
Ok, so I know where you are! It was such a dry winter this year. We were talking about the fireworks just tonight, concerning the dry valley. Our little coastal town was even busier than usual for the fourth, with no vacancies in any hotels, rv parks, or campgrounds.

My husband and I were married in Red Bluff, and my sister graduated from Chico and is getting married there this next March. Exactly two weeks after my due date, so this was obviously excellent timing.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts