Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, mamas! Nutritious food on a budget. How do you do it? We currently do pretty well, but I would REALLY like to cut down on our weekly grocery bill. We don't eat many prepackaged foods (only vegie burgers and canned tomatoes w/no salt) so much of our menu centers on fresh whole foods. Most of our menu is also plant based rather than meat based (hubbie's getting used to this).

What do you spend on a weekly budget? Oh, it's dh, me and 2 yr old dd.

thanks in advance!

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We buy both conventionally grown and organic produce. Our salad greens are always organic (I can taste the pesticides on the other stuff). Our beans, rice, oatmeal, (and other grains) flour, etc... are also organic and bought from a co-op.

Our fresh fruits and veggies are bought from the local grocery store. Normally we don't buy packaged foods, the only exceptions are veggie burgers, which I'd rather make myself in large batches and then freeze for later (any good recipes?).

What are cheapest (but nutritious) vegies and fruits? I realize that I probably need to research myself, but if someone could give me some ideas I would appreciate it.

Thanks for the ideas so far. I am thinking I need to incorporate a soup, bread and cheese day....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.