Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm being optimistic about number of members/posts. :)
Also, the wide world doesn't yet know about this baby, but I have to share somewhere - I HEARD THE KIDDO'S HEARTBEAT!!!! 10 weeks today, and I replaced the batteries in my doppler and a minute later, there was that delicious little gallop. Clear as day. My husband was sitting next to my sprawled out self, and I'm so glad he was there too. :) My belly is enormous, but I was still feeling like maybe the whole pregnancy was made up. Nope. There's a person in there!
I even have names I love. Sadly, husband likes the girl name not at all. He's not sold, but not opposed to the boy name. It's still so early, I know. I find my understanding of the baby and their "self" really evolves over the course of a pregnancy, and often the names we love in the beginning are just not "right" at the end. It's fun to look and think and dream about names though, I think.
We (ok, I!) have Tallis for a boy, and Lena for a girl. The girl middle name will be Verity, although there has been talk of that being the first name. It's very set though, and we both love it (it's a family name from my incredible maternal grandmother). Our family has first names with the initials "I", "J", "K" and "M", "N", so it feels like we should find an "L", or at least keep it going with an "H" or an "O". Everyone I tell this to thinks I am insane though. :p
How's everyone doing? Feeling that 2nd trimester magic yet? Thinking of names? Teal, I'm waiting to hear that you're carrying triplets or something. ;)

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
We finally told family this week about Seven! So...that's nice to get out. No big social media announcement yet, but I'd like to do something kind of cutesy... we'll see ;)

I'm a total name nerd and always love dreaming up names (that evolve all through pregnancy and never are decided until after the birth)! Here's a list I created (and have edited) and line to add to as I hear great ideas :)

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm a name nerd too and so is my husband. Luckily we have pretty similar taste. This might sound silly to a mama on number 7 but we're kind of out of boy names! We have some we like but none that seem right enough to use.
I'm 15 weeks and finally feeling 2nd trimestery. I felt really proud that we almost had a normal day today for the 1st time since the holidays disrupted us but now I am so. Worn. Out. So maybe I wasn't ready for.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ok didn't see the triplet comment until after I posted my reply!!
I'm not an ultrasound fan, but I had an early 1 as my dating was imprecise. There was only 1 baby. I'm more than a little embarrassed to say that I'm still kind of wondering, just a little, if we somehow missed a baby in there.
I'd feel silly listing my twin signs but I will say I have quite a few of them. But in 2017, it's hard to doubt an ultrasound.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
I'm a name nerd too and so is my husband. Luckily we have pretty similar taste. This might sound silly to a mama on number 7 but we're kind of out of boy names! We have some we like but none that seem right enough to use.
I'm 15 weeks and finally feeling 2nd trimestery. I felt really proud that we almost had a normal day today for the 1st time since the holidays disrupted us but now I am so. Worn. Out. So maybe I wasn't ready for.
Haha... we've only gotten to use one boy name thus far ;) So I almost feel like I've used up the good girl names (five thus far)!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I feel like I have more girl names, but would probably feel like none were "right enough" after 2 or 3 also ?

By the way, I'm a big fan of Augustine. We've considered it for a 1st and tried to use variations of it as the middle for just about every name we've considered. It didn't work with either of my sons' names though so maybe it'll show up this time! We kind of have a letter "o" trend going that I don't want to break, though.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
I still haven't told my parents. Do I have to? Lol.

When is second trimester? Will 12 weeks count!
I figure it counts if you want it to ;) I always *want* it to be 12 weeks, but then that breaks up things to just 36 weeks... and I typically carry to Jay about 42 weeks, so equal breaks of three is 14 weeks! But! That's so long to wait, so I usually wait until getting through 12 weeks and hitting 13. Or whatever I feel like at the moment. Lol.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I still haven't told my parents. Do I have to? Lol.

When is second trimester? Will 12 weeks count!
Bahahaha. I haven't told them yet either! We have to tell my in laws this weekend, because we'll be seeing them and, well, at this point, there is no disguising the issue. Which, I guess, means I better tell my parents asap. Crap. My parents live on another continent, and I won't be seeing them until after this baby is born, at the earliest. Actually, maybe not even? I think they're planning to meet my brother and sister in law in Guatemala for Christmas, so I won't even see them then... hmmm. However, small world, and word will get round, and they will be hurt if they hear it from someone else. Sigh.
What number baby is this for you? Do you know *why* you don't want to tell? This is our 4th, and we're getting by, financially, but not exactly doing what we "should" (ie: we are still renters, only own one beat up van, qualify for aid for our kids' dental care, etc). Per most people, we should have stopped at 2. Anyway. I dare not mention that I would love to have 5 or 6! Or maybe I should, and then 4 won't be as shocking?!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is anyone on here still breastfeeding a kiddo? My supply drops around 6 weeks, and the nipple sensitivity makes me want to scream, but my kids always seem to just get more determined to keep at it as a result! Do you have any tricks to help? We tried nightweaning my almost 20 month old. It was a disaster. The nipple sensitivity is making me nutty though, and i just do not want to nurse this kid. But, I do, intellectually. Just when he asks, I want to hide under the bed or something. My others nursed until almost 4 (through 2 pregnancies), almost 3 (through 1 pregnancy), and the 3rd kid is the current 20 month old. I pushed the oldest to wean when I was carrying my third pregnancy and still nursing two - something had to give! The second kiddo self-weaned, although I think he would have gone longer had I not been working such a chaotic schedule (24 hour shifts every third day). Anyway. Solidarity? Tips?

And, so many of you must be hitting the second trimester! I'm not due until the 26th, so still hanging out at 10 weeks and change. This trimester is taking FOREVER! Especially when you consider that you're already "2 weeks" when you conceive, so we basically skipped two weeks of pregnancy. Time is such a weird thing.

Are there any other homeschoolers out there? Is anything shifting with your pregnancy? Are you making any different plans for next year because of the new baby? We've never been the sort of homeschoolers who are "finished" for the summer, but we do definitely ease way off. I'm thinking we might just try to keep going, as much as possible, through the summer, to buy ourselves some flexibility in the fall. Have you ever tried this? Our homeschool community does not do year-round schooling, so I'm not sure how to sell my kids on the idea!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I can't tag people or quote from my phone and smilies turn into question marks so sorry if I'm confusing sometimes.

Oh nursing aversion is so uncomfortable! Sorry you're experiencing that. I nursed during my 2nd pregnancy and this 1 also and am having very different experiences. During pregnancy 2, my milk immediately started to dry up gradually and slowly. My son was only 9 months when I got pregnant so I was supplementing with a big stash of frozen milk but I had a hard time knowing how much he was drinking at the breast. It took me a bit to realize he hadn't been getting enough and I felt terrible about it. I felt even worse about my nursing aversion. I wanted to yank him away everytime he latched on. And I felt even worse when he weaned at 16.5 months, especially as we ran out of frozen milk around the same time. Luckily, pumping was remarkably easy once his brother was born 2 months later. I pumped sooooo much milk in 1 session that my oldest would drink all he wanted, and we still built up a respectable stash.
I found that heavy doses of magnesium (I use the oil) helped my aversion to be almost tolerable. I have no idea why. Mag oil is known to help restless leg syndrome and nursing aversion feels almost identical to that to me so maybe there's some connection?
This time, I was surprised and so happy that I wasn't drying up at all. No aversion so far! Then last week, my little guy immediately unlatched and looked at me in amazement. "Milk tastes like chocolate!!" he told me (he really really loves chocolate and we're a low sugar family so its a pretty big treat) . I checked the other side and it was was just a drop and very yellow. I can't believe I switched to colostrum already (or that colostrum tastes chocolatey to him haha)! Last time, it was much later. I actually looked it up because it seemed impossible but its right in the normal range, just on the early end. I'm disappointed but at least his immune system will be top notch, right. He has a big need to nurse and doesn't seem bothered at all so I'm guessing we'll keep it up for a while. I'd like to get to his 2nd birthday this summer and they'll both probably want pumped milk once baby is here.
I'm wondering about homeschooling while pregnant also. We sort of homeschool- my oldest turned 3 this winter and I don't really believe in preschool generally. But he's was very eager so we're dabbling. I'm thinking of the next 2 years as practice. Since they dont really matter, I can figure out what works for us, make some beginner mistakes, and didn't feel bad at all when I stopped because I was too sick. Surely, those of you with older kids don't just stop for 2 months when you have terrible 1st trimesters?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hunh. Magnesium, hey? I've been very sporadically supplementing myself recently, but will try to be more consistent and see how it goes. I've only had restless legs a handful of times in my life, but I can see the similarities, in terms of wanting to climb out of your skin.
My older kids are in grades 1 and 3, so still pretty young, but we've mostly managed to keep up despite pregnancy. The kiddo in grade 1 has gone through 1.5 years of math so far this year, and the kid in grade 3 will finish her year tomorrow. Patting myself on the back. We ran out of science curriculum before Christmas, and I haven't managed to get back on the wagon there. We're three weeks "behind" in history, but I'm not fussed. We are not winning at language arts, aside from lots of reading. I'm pretty sure my 8 year old writes at a grade 1 level. She's got two languages, but neither one is at a level corresponding to her reading. I'm a bit baffled, but that's the beauty of homeschooling, right? You get to meet them where they are and work with their strengths. But we need to step up the writing. It's the napping (and me wanting to nap too!) that I'm afraid of in the fall with a newborn. But then the two year old will likely keep me from napping anyway, so maybe it won't be an issue! haha. oh dear.
Are you guys taking any specific supplements? I keep meaning to up my iodine, but am also a little afraid, only because the research is "newer" on it.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
My youngest is 22 months old and still nursing. I've nursed through my last two pregnancies all 42ish weeks, but never could tandem. They were 2.5-2.75, so I didn't feel tooooo terrible about it.

We homeschooled for eight years, but it got to be too much and I was terrified that I was failing my kids, so they're in their second year of public school (and, amazingly, take honors courses and are all thriving and they weren't behind in any way... the biggest adjustment was learning how to take a test). Mostly, I was feeling overwhelmed at the thought of six kids and panicked. I do dabble in thoughts of returning to that. At least with the younger ones.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had my second appointment yesterday at 14 weeks 1 day. We finally heard the heartbeat!! <3 <3 best sound ever! A strong 160! Plus DH was able to be there with me, and we didn't have to bring the toddler. It was pretty special . He wasn't able to be there to hear the heartbeat the first time with DS.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Just weaned my 1yr old. Nursing ad version always wins out for me in the end, sadly. But she got a full year so I'm grateful, and she's eating well.

We unschool and I've been doing it for 12 years now with 6 (currently pg with #7 ) I don't do anything at all schoolwise post baby as that is a lesson in and of itself. But they learn independently by looking up subjects they want to watch and learn about and they help each other which is more important than anything. Also, same goes when mom is pregnant. Basically I try to keep an education rich environment and keep an eye on things. When I saw that my dad who loved literature and was constantly being read to wasn't reading, I pushed the issue. It didn't take long to recognize Dyslexia. We did the Davis Program and are still doing it and that's brought things about up to speed, etc...

Is anyone on here still breastfeeding a kiddo? My supply drops around 6 weeks, and the nipple sensitivity makes me want to scream, but my kids always seem to just get more determined to keep at it as a result! Do you have any tricks to help? We tried nightweaning my almost 20 month old. It was a disaster. The nipple sensitivity is making me nutty though, and i just do not want to nurse this kid. But, I do, intellectually. Just when he asks, I want to hide under the bed or something. My others nursed until almost 4 (through 2 pregnancies), almost 3 (through 1 pregnancy), and the 3rd kid is the current 20 month old. I pushed the oldest to wean when I was carrying my third pregnancy and still nursing two - something had to give! The second kiddo self-weaned, although I think he would have gone longer had I not been working such a chaotic schedule (24 hour shifts every third day). Anyway. Solidarity? Tips?

And, so many of you must be hitting the second trimester! I'm not due until the 26th, so still hanging out at 10 weeks and change. This trimester is taking FOREVER! Especially when you consider that you're already "2 weeks" when you conceive, so we basically skipped two weeks of pregnancy. Time is such a weird thing.

Are there any other homeschoolers out there? Is anything shifting with your pregnancy? Are you making any different plans for next year because of the new baby? We've never been the sort of homeschoolers who are "finished" for the summer, but we do definitely ease way off. I'm thinking we might just try to keep going, as much as possible, through the summer, to buy ourselves some flexibility in the fall. Have you ever tried this? Our homeschool community does not do year-round schooling, so I'm not sure how to sell my kids on the idea!
That mag thing is so interesting...I might do it, what dosage were u taking? As for homeschooling, just take it as it comes. It's about relationships and style of living, ultimately.
I can't tag people or quote from my phone and smilies turn into question marks so sorry if I'm confusing sometimes.

Oh nursing aversion is so uncomfortable! Sorry you're experiencing that. I nursed during my 2nd pregnancy and this 1 also and am having very different experiences. During pregnancy 2, my milk immediately started to dry up gradually and slowly. My son was only 9 months when I got pregnant so I was supplementing with a big stash of frozen milk but I had a hard time knowing how much he was drinking at the breast. It took me a bit to realize he hadn't been getting enough and I felt terrible about it. I felt even worse about my nursing aversion. I wanted to yank him away everytime he latched on. And I felt even worse when he weaned at 16.5 months, especially as we ran out of frozen milk around the same time. Luckily, pumping was remarkably easy once his brother was born 2 months later. I pumped sooooo much milk in 1 session that my oldest would drink all he wanted, and we still built up a respectable stash.
I found that heavy doses of magnesium (I use the oil) helped my aversion to be almost tolerable. I have no idea why. Mag oil is known to help restless leg syndrome and nursing aversion feels almost identical to that to me so maybe there's some connection?
This time, I was surprised and so happy that I wasn't drying up at all. No aversion so far! Then last week, my little guy immediately unlatched and looked at me in amazement. "Milk tastes like chocolate!!" he told me (he really really loves chocolate and we're a low sugar family so its a pretty big treat) . I checked the other side and it was was just a drop and very yellow. I can't believe I switched to colostrum already (or that colostrum tastes chocolatey to him haha)! Last time, it was much later. I actually looked it up because it seemed impossible but its right in the normal range, just on the early end. I'm disappointed but at least his immune system will be top notch, right. He has a big need to nurse and doesn't seem bothered at all so I'm guessing we'll keep it up for a while. I'd like to get to his 2nd birthday this summer and they'll both probably want pumped milk once baby is here.
I'm wondering about homeschooling while pregnant also. We sort of homeschool- my oldest turned 3 this winter and I don't really believe in preschool generally. But he's was very eager so we're dabbling. I'm thinking of the next 2 years as practice. Since they dont really matter, I can figure out what works for us, make some beginner mistakes, and didn't feel bad at all when I stopped because I was too sick. Surely, those of you with older kids don't just stop for 2 months when you have terrible 1st trimesters?

·
Registered
246 Posts
The homeschooling info is very interesting to me! Thanks for sharing! There's a real possibility I'll never be pregnant when we're really homeschooling, and my babies have always done really well when worn but it's good to hear what it looks like from btdt moms.

Just to be clear, I've never heard of magnesium helping anyone else with nursing aversion. So it might just be something weird about me haha. Also, most people I've known take magnesium orally and I use oil. That shouldn't make a difference but maybe it does. I don't worry about dosage since my skin will only absorb what it needs. I can say I use a lot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.