Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4,613 Posts
pssst. I'm keeping a lid on it IRL, but thought I'd whisper it to you all. I'm planning a VBAC and working very hard on nutrition right now.

· Registered
4,613 Posts
Thanks for the welcome gals. I had a bad case of depression in pregnancy and postpartum the first time around, much of it related to my pre-pregnancy diet. I am on a very low sugar and grain diet. I am working on cutting out grains altogether (but just had 1/4 piece of homemade rice bread). The only source of sugar in my diet (besides the bread) is fruit and I try to keep that limited. I am trying to maximize my nutritional intake with things like broth which is loaded with minerals.

· Registered
4,613 Posts
Congratulations ladies. It's good to see you all here.

We just got back from a short trip to visit my sister who asked my mom almost immediately if I was pregnant. My mom (who I did tell) apparently kept it under her hat, but she was absolutely shocked by the question since I hadn't talked about ttc (and we really weren't ttc, just not avoiding). With our first, it was months of turmoil and trauma.

So anyway, my mom and sister know now.

· Registered
4,613 Posts
Ravenmoon -- those numbers are skyrocketing. Twins??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devaskyla
Can't really do much about my nutrition since we don't have a lot of money.
Some cheap/free ideas:

**Get soup bones from a butcher and make soup stock. It is loaded with minerals.

**Make your own kefir (a yogurt-like drink). You need kefir grains to culture the milk. With the grains, kefir is just the cost of milk. I've got grains to share if anyone wants some. But since it's the summer, the offer needs to wait for cooler weather for anyone far away -- they wouldn't ship well.

**Buy whole chickens on sale (I've gotten them for $3 and under US in the past). Make stock with the carcass when you're done.

**Stop eating any kind of refined items. Start with sugar (it's harder and more expensive at times to replace refined flour products). Not only do these have no nutrition, but they require nutrients in order to be digested. Thus, they are robbing your body of the nutrients you already have. You can't afford that while you're pregnant.

**Try to find a local source of goat's milk. I found two farmers who feed goat's milk to their dogs because they have such an abundance. Surely they would sell it cheap. (But the milk is raw, which is good, but might be against the law in some areas, so they might not risk selling it.)

**Farm eggs are usually about the price of store-bought eggs. They are fresher and usually have more nutrients. Look in the paper or search the countryside.

· Registered
4,613 Posts
Hi ladies.

Lisa-Marie -- here's a link with a bunch of kefir info:

http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

It is a cultured milk product like yogurt and has multiple strains of beneficial bacteria. If you don't have a good balance of bacteria in your intestinal tract, you won't be able to absorb the nutrients in your food properly. It's also got loads of enzymes and other good properties.

On the goat's milk -- in the stores here it is also ridiculously priced -- something like $3/quart. That's why I've been working on getting it from a farm. It is also more easily digested than cow's milk. But if you can get cow's milk cheap or free, that's great. I would definitely use some of the milk to make kefir
I can send some grains to you in October or so, but if you want to start before then, there is a whole on-line community with people who will send you grains (probably for the cost of shipping in that case).

Eat more eggs. It's good protein. Get dh to make more omelettes.

· Registered
4,613 Posts
For you ladies with reactions to dairy, have you tried a cultured dairy product like yogurt? I used to react badly to dairy too and, in fact, to commercial yogurt. I was on such a strict diet and so wanted dairy that I took a chance and made homemade yogurt. I had no reaction whatsoever. I bought a yogurt maker to do it but there have been discussions on MDC about just doing it the old-fashioned way. If you are interested, search MDC for homemade yogurt, particularly the Health and Healing Forum. And of course, there is kefir too.

· Registered
4,613 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenmoon
If i were to have twins i would be so happy but if it is one healthy baby i would be just as happy.
Amen

· Registered
4,613 Posts
Congrats somewhere to grow, weebitty, and 2boobs.

· Registered
4,613 Posts
Wow weebitty, what a story. Sounds like those children hit the jackpot with your guys.

Congratulations to you, muse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.