Mothering Forum banner
41 - 60 of 109 Posts

· Registered
4,613 Posts
Ravenmoon -- those numbers are skyrocketing. Twins??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devaskyla
Can't really do much about my nutrition since we don't have a lot of money.
Some cheap/free ideas:

**Get soup bones from a butcher and make soup stock. It is loaded with minerals.

**Make your own kefir (a yogurt-like drink). You need kefir grains to culture the milk. With the grains, kefir is just the cost of milk. I've got grains to share if anyone wants some. But since it's the summer, the offer needs to wait for cooler weather for anyone far away -- they wouldn't ship well.

**Buy whole chickens on sale (I've gotten them for $3 and under US in the past). Make stock with the carcass when you're done.

**Stop eating any kind of refined items. Start with sugar (it's harder and more expensive at times to replace refined flour products). Not only do these have no nutrition, but they require nutrients in order to be digested. Thus, they are robbing your body of the nutrients you already have. You can't afford that while you're pregnant.

**Try to find a local source of goat's milk. I found two farmers who feed goat's milk to their dogs because they have such an abundance. Surely they would sell it cheap. (But the milk is raw, which is good, but might be against the law in some areas, so they might not risk selling it.)

**Farm eggs are usually about the price of store-bought eggs. They are fresher and usually have more nutrients. Look in the paper or search the countryside.

· Registered
4,607 Posts
Thanks for the tips, Amanda. Might be able to get bones from Safeway's meat department, that's the closes thing I have to a butcher.

I've never heard of kefir, what kind of nutrients does it have? Or should I just look it up for myself?

Whole chickens are pretty pricey here for some reason. I'll keep my eyes open for a decent special, though.

I've cut back on the sugar, but it very hard to get rid of it entirely. We've just managed to mostly get rid of trans fats, so I think we need to adjust to that before we do much about anything like sugar or flour.

There is one kind of goat's milk sold in the store, but it's a lot more expensive. I'm not sure there's even anyone my mom knows who has goats. And I can get coupons for free cow's milk. At least up here I don't have to worry about growth hormones in it.

My mom sometimes gets me farm eggs. We don't eat a lot of eggs, though. Although, when I was pregnant with Brandon I had a craving for soft boiled eggs for several weeks, so I might get that again. Horrible thought, I only like eggs poached, to make French toast (which we don't have very much) or in stuff, though I'll occasionally eat an omelet if dh makes it.

I really need to eat more veggies, at least, even if they're only the frozen kind. From what I've read, frozen is the next best thing to fresh and it's a lot cheaper. I wish I had a garden, even though I really don't like gardening, I love fresh from the garden veggies. I really don't think my landlord or the other tenants would like me to pull up the grass to plant one, though.

· Registered
560 Posts
I actually told my mom today and she acted more excited than I thought she would. Of course it ended with her telling me I really needed to watch my health etc...this time around (like I didn't last time). Morning sickness struck me this morning but I think it's the milk. Can any of you guide me to calcium rich foods that are not dairy?

TIA!

· Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Dairy makes me really sick too.I can eat cheese though.Calcium can come from the dark leafy greens and broccoli.They are rich in calcium.I take extra calcium supplements as well.

I've been feeling ok.My nausea comes and goes and i spend a lot of time
sleepy though.

I took another blood test which should be my last if it looks good.I won't know the results until Tuesday though.As far as my numbers go i hear it can be normal for some people to have higher numbers.If i were to have twins i would be so happy but if it is one healthy baby i would be just as happy.

Happy 4th everyone

· Registered
1,559 Posts
Good luck Kate
I should call the dr. too, I just cant decide where to go. I will be moving to AZ in January, but am in CA now. I love my midwife here, but I really wont be able to stand staying behind for 2 months without dh waiting to deliver. I was thinking of calling arond in AZ and then making monthly trips to them for my prenatal care, but I love my midwife here so I just dont know. I could always alternate months so I have a rapport with both caregivers jik......hmmmmm decisions decisions

· Registered
4,613 Posts
Hi ladies.

Lisa-Marie -- here's a link with a bunch of kefir info:

http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

It is a cultured milk product like yogurt and has multiple strains of beneficial bacteria. If you don't have a good balance of bacteria in your intestinal tract, you won't be able to absorb the nutrients in your food properly. It's also got loads of enzymes and other good properties.

On the goat's milk -- in the stores here it is also ridiculously priced -- something like $3/quart. That's why I've been working on getting it from a farm. It is also more easily digested than cow's milk. But if you can get cow's milk cheap or free, that's great. I would definitely use some of the milk to make kefir
I can send some grains to you in October or so, but if you want to start before then, there is a whole on-line community with people who will send you grains (probably for the cost of shipping in that case).

Eat more eggs. It's good protein. Get dh to make more omelettes.

· Registered
4,613 Posts
For you ladies with reactions to dairy, have you tried a cultured dairy product like yogurt? I used to react badly to dairy too and, in fact, to commercial yogurt. I was on such a strict diet and so wanted dairy that I took a chance and made homemade yogurt. I had no reaction whatsoever. I bought a yogurt maker to do it but there have been discussions on MDC about just doing it the old-fashioned way. If you are interested, search MDC for homemade yogurt, particularly the Health and Healing Forum. And of course, there is kefir too.

· Registered
4,613 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenmoon
If i were to have twins i would be so happy but if it is one healthy baby i would be just as happy.
Amen

· Registered
229 Posts
Hey Mamas!

Thought I'd check in here again. I've been on pin and needles and trying not to think baby so have been staying away. Then it hit me yesterday... OMGosh! I'm gonna have a baby!!! LOL Despite the 4 mc's I'm feeling causiously optimistic about this baby. I'm already nauseous ALL the time, I'm exhausted and boy am I moody! All good signs of course. Had my first appointment on Tuesday. I LOVE the 'other' doc that I actually wasn't going to see until I had to on Tuesday. He's now all I'll be seeing at that clinic thank you very much! LOL Very on top of things, supportive and HILARIOUS! Humor is vital!
My Beta on Monday at 10dpo was 82.5 and yesterday is was 243.
Yay! And my progesterone was normal! That's a first! I had to be supplimented with both Koen and Gretchen. I talked with him again today and he's been talking with the perinatalogist that he likes up at Bethesda and put in a referal for me to see her. They're supposed to call in the morning to book the appointment. It's supposed to be next week and she'll be starting me on Lovenox then. Not at all nervous about the injections. Actually makes me feel good that we're doing everything humanly possible to keep this precious baby growing!

Hhmmm... is there anything else.... lol my brain is on vacation.

Oh and my next appointment is on the 21st with my new fav Doc, I'll be 7w1d so HOPEFULLY we'll get to see a heartbeat!
:

Kate- I'm also hyper aware of every little twinge and pain! Very nerve wracking but trying to keep the faith.
I also check the tp every single time too!

SHannon- Hey! Whatcha on? Have you had any side effects? Needles don't bother me a bit so it seems like it wouldn't be a big deal at all. ANything to keep the baby right. WAHOOOO about the heartbeat! That is so wonderful!!!

Raven- WAHOO on those numbers!

Ok, I can't remember what else I wanted to post and really need to get to work. I'm at the point I'm no longer functional past 930 which is just no good! I normally work from the kids bedtime until 2-3am! lol

Oh I remember what I was gonna say!
About people's reactions. We just had a miscarriage June 1st. I was only about 5 weeks along and I ovulated just 2 weeks later hense the March 8th due date. Karl announced at a bbq with half the base present that we were pg. I wasn't too thrilled about that but was happy that he was so happy considering we weren't ttc. He of course had to then spread the word that we lost the baby. Everyone has been wonderfully supportive. But now that we're pg again so soon people are... kinda weird. Over all, happy for us but worried. I was worried about telling Karl. We had decided, really he decided and I respected his wishes, not to ttc for at least another year. Decided that 3 days post O! lol He just laughed when I told him and since he's been a bit distant about the pg. I know the mcs have hurt him more then he tends to show me so I think he's just trying to protect himself a bit. He's starting to warm up more. Hopefully soon, maybe after we see/hear a heartbeat, he'll come around more and get excited.
My folks are coming to visit for Koen's 2nd bday next week. I had a "I'm a Big Brother" t-shirt made for him and that's how we'll tell them. While I know they'll be thrilled, they will be VERY worried. My mom is big on letting my body heal... I've been pg and/or nursing for the last 4+ years... so I know she'll say something along those lines. Which is fine but I really just want to be HAPPY. I'm pg! I'm sick! My levels look great! Let's be happy for however long it lasts!!!!

Oh and anyone have a feeling as to the flavor? I've had a feeling for a very long time that our 3rd would be a girl. And now, I feel it even more. lol Maybe it's just wishful thinking! LOL There aren't nearly as many adorable clothes and diapers for boys! lol Obviousely, whatever flavor we get is a blessing!

Ok, really am going to stop now. I may not post often but when I do.... watch out! lol

everyone!

· Registered
1,559 Posts
LOLEva we are already having the flavor debate here. I think its going to be another boy, dh thinks girl. He as been right every time, so I may just be very happil suprised. It doesnt really matter either way, its a blessing any way I look at it

· Registered
229 Posts
LOL Karl thinks/wants boy and I'm sure it's a girl. LOL Karl's such a goof. Gretchen is such a Daddy's Girl and I know he really enjoys that relationship with her but he can't wrestle with her like he can Koen. And he wants to wrestle 2 boys at once! LOL Hopefully it really is a girl then he'll want to try again for another boy!

· Registered
76 Posts
Okay well, I said I wasn't too apt at message boards and I see I have already messed this one up by starting a new thread to introduce myself instead of replying *here* like I meant to do!!!! Please be patient with me, I will get it eventually!!! How embarassing. Is there a way to delete that?? I didn't see a delete option in the "edit" section. =-/

· Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Hi fiercelove,welcome

I bought maternity clothes yesterday
: My belly is growing already and all of my shirts are riding up.My pants aren't buttoning either.So i am wearing everything drawstring and some of my 'fat' pants but my 'fat' pants are huge in the legs and tight in the belly so they look funky.Maternity tank tops are great because they fit below the waist.This is my 4th kid in 6 years so my belly knows what to do.Plus it needed an excuse for me to stop sucking it in

I do not want to wait until tuesday for my blood results.I just want one more good result and i will be very happy.

Galeforce i was talking to a twin mom about her HCG levels and ours are nearly the same
so whoa,maybe.Won't know till the U/S.

Is anyone else here having an early U/S?I am only becasue of my miscarriages.But i will opt for the 18 week also for reassurance that everything looks alright!

· Registered
229 Posts
Fiercelove- Welcome and don't worry about it! You'll get the hang of it!
Congrats!

Ravenmoon- I had to lol about you belly knowing what to do! LOL My belly has always popped out early. 9 weeks with Gretchen, 7 weeks with Koen and now at 4w with ??? it's already out! LOL Pretty much just look bloated and fat but it won't be long I suspect till I start getting comments. LOL Fine by me, that's one of my fav parts of pg!

I should be having an u/s on the 21st at 7w, plenty old enough to see the heartbeat. Then I'm supposed to have monthly u/s for the remainder of the pg and probably some NSTs at the end again as well. We didn't want to find out Koen's flavor before birth but he didn't give any other choice cause he flashed us every chance he got during the u/s's! LOL We'll see how this one does.

· Registered
11,617 Posts
Hi all,
Eva, I'm on Heparin, progesterone and baby aspirine, as well as still on my prednisone, we won't be weaning off it until the 3rd trimester, even if my arthritis goes into remission. I'm in hospital now because of the morning sickness, I got very dehydrated and my electrolytes are all out of wack. It sucks--big time. Still feeling pukey even with all this gravol in.
Hope everyone is doing well, back to bed (gotta love a laptop)

· Registered
6,247 Posts
Shannon!
How did I miss that you were in the hospital? You poor thing. How long do you have to stay there?

I have done absolutely NOTHING this whole week. I feel so crappy. The house is so trashed. I'm embaressed but don't know what else to do. The OB gave me unisom? Said it would help with the m/s. Anyone ever tried that?

· Registered
4,607 Posts
I've been feeling for the last week that this is another boy. I got a psychic prediction in my e-mail today (long story) that also said boy. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but I'm going to be very surprised if this is a girl.

Gale Force, thanks for the info! and I'll try to force myself to choke down eggs a little more often.

· Registered
11,617 Posts
Elblad, unisom mixed with vit B is the same as Diclectin that we get here in Canada. Many people find the b vit alone is enough--someone was talking about doses on our Feb thread. It helps me, but of course if I can't keep it down in the first place, it's not much good. Gravol suppositories do help me--but between them and the progesterone I feel like I spend all day "inserting" things
: I'm hoping to be out of hospital tomorrow afternoon which should be a go if my potassium is back to normal.

41 - 60 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.