Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My partner and I are very excitedly preparing to travel to adopt our baby from Ethiopia. We will travel in early April. Hard to wait!

Her medical form says she was 12.5 lbs when she was examined in mid-Dec. at age 6 months, 1 week. Of course we would like to get some baby clothes ready and our friends are dying to buy us baby clothes. I am trying to guess what sizes she will wear when we meet her and for the coming months after that. Also wondering what sizes for slings, etc.

Any help or advice, experiences, appreciated and welcome!
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
12.5 pounds would be 3-6 month clothing, wouldn't it? Depending on the outfit (shortall onesies, etc.) you might be able to stretch to 6 months, but I think they'd be pretty baggy.

It's been a while since I've had one that little though
. I'm sure the other mamas will have lots of good advice. Mostly I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!

Can't wait to hear about your trip!

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Like the pp said 12ish lbs is a 3-6 months in most sizes. Did they say how long she is? I'd go to the next size up. Gymboree & Carters both list weights and lengths on their tags. Hanna Anderson goes by cm's.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
That's almost exactly the size and age of our daughter when she came home 5.5 years ago! Size 3-6 months should work fine...but only for a short time! You might want to tell people to get you 6-9 months or even larger - she'll grow.

and grow. and grow.

Congrats!

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
Like the pp said 12ish lbs is a 3-6 months in most sizes. Did they say how long she is? I'd go to the next size up. Gymboree & Carters both list weights and lengths on their tags. Hanna Anderson goes by cm's.
Gymboree tends to run very big and many kids don't match the weight and lengths printed on the tags.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DynamiteA View Post
Hello! My partner and I are very excitedly preparing to travel to adopt our baby from Ethiopia. We will travel in early April. Hard to wait!

Her medical form says she was 12.5 lbs when she was examined in mid-Dec. at age 6 months, 1 week. Of course we would like to get some baby clothes ready and our friends are dying to buy us baby clothes. I am trying to guess what sizes she will wear when we meet her and for the coming months after that. Also wondering what sizes for slings, etc.

Any help or advice, experiences, appreciated and welcome!
Thanks!

Slings aren't sized to the baby, they are sized to the adult that is wearing it

·
Registered
352 Posts
Congratulations! ITA and wanted to reinforce what a pp said about the fact that she will grow and grow and grow! My strong advice would be to hold your friends off till a bit- she will be the size she is for about a minute (if that) once you get to her. That love and yummy nutrition grow them like weeds...

DS was 10 pounds at 7 months of age. We had a few clothes and CDs for him at that size (leftovers from dd) and brought not enough with us to Rwanda, as we soon found that he puked more than we could have anticipated and also had total giardia blowouts, but literally as soon as we got him home he went up a size. At 8 months he was in a 6M, at 9 months a 12M size, and now at 15 months he is 22 pounds and a 18-24M! We are sooo glad we only had a few of each thing until now as we would have wasted so much money and resources.

People were DYING to buy us clothes, but I couldn't stand to let them... we had seen so much need in Rwanda and just couldn't justify people going out and buying new little clothes- we got by with hand-me-downs until now- and encouraged folks to give donations to the orphanage in lieu of gifts.

So... expect rapid rapid growth. I never had luck with buying things big, as I live in a 4 season climate and could never judge what season/what size would coincide.

HTH! So excited for you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.