Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not the baby's- but mine! I know many people lose weight while breastfeeding, but right now, I'm gaining- a lot! I'm eating well and exercising almost enough- enough that I actually should be slowly losing a bit, but instead I'm gaining weight.

I've run into this every time I've nursed a baby, and if I restrict my caloric intake any more, my supply (already iffy) drops. This time (my third nursling) it's far worse than previous go rounds, and I'm really struggling as weaning a 5 month old isn't an option, but I need to lose some weight- for my emotional well being as well as my physical well being.

Has anyone else experienced weight gain while breastfeeding? I generally lose weight throughout a pregnancy, gain while nursing, and maintain/slowly lose while not doing either. It's a weird cycle.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I gain as do my mom and sister. Its a joke between us that our bodies hoard calories in case we were to starve when clearly that wouldnt be a problem lol. I would try a nuritionist, LLL leader or someone who could help you devise a plan before I turned to weaning a babe so young. Are you doing only 3 meals a day, or alowing yourself well portioned balanced meals along with healthy snacks?
I don't have any amazing insight as to why some gain and some loose, but I hope you can figure somthing out.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I would maybe have your thyroid tested if you haven't already. I have always had a low thyroid, but during my pregnancy, it was perfect, right after the baby was born I lost a ton of weight and then I suddenly started gaining back more weight than I had put on during my pregnancy at about 4-5 months postpartum. It was all thyroid related. My body has finally resettled, but I am still taking meds. It's worth looking into- good luck

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
For me weight loss while breastfeeding is apparently a myth. I'm trying to just accept that & know that I can lose it when he's weaned.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
i always gain while bf. this last pg i gained 11 lbs then lost 15 at birth then gained 25 in the first 2 most bf. so far i've lost ~9lbs of that but i don't expect to lose any more until at least 1 yr pp. with dd3 i kept it on for 15 mos then got pg and gained it all back!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.