Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I am 12 weeks today and weigh 1 pound LESS than before I was pregnant. I had lost 3-4 pounds earlier on.. so does the 'gain' that put me back up count as the 3-4 pounds you are supposed to gain in the first trimester? I've looked around on the net and most places say that it's okay to not gain any weight in the first 12 weeks.. but I just want to hear it from normal people.. what are your experiences?

·
Registered
934 Posts
With ds#2 I had only gained 2lbs at 20 weeks! I had a very healthy 7 lb 12oz boy. I ended up gaining 22lbs all together....made the post weight come off much easier. I wish I could have replicated that pattern with the #3 and now #4
. Relax and enjoy and know that your body knows what it is doing.
k

·
Registered
425 Posts
Very normal...I lost 5 pounds in the first trimester with pregnancy #1. I was so sick I lost weight. I gained that 5 plus another 7 (for a total of 12) for that pregnancy. My daughter came 2 weeks early, but was just shy of 6 pounds.

This time around I'm at 32 weeks tomorrow and I've gained about 15 pounds. So it's a very different pregnancy (no loss of weight the first trimester!) for me.

I think many women have trouble gaining weight in the first tri because of how they feel. If you try to eat healthy foods that will stay down, and keep drinking water you should be fine!

Michelle

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I and all the other women in my family lose weight the first trimester. Even the skinny one.
I lost 30 pounds 1st tri with my first as a result of hyperemesis combined with starting out 100 pounds overweight...I finished it 10lbs down from my prepregnancy weight. I lost 10 lbs 1st tri with my second daughter, and finished up 16 pounds over my prepregnancy weight. I tend to say I gained 26 pounds with her, but oddly I always say I wound up 10 lbs down with the first.

I don't really think it matters how you call it. It all depends on the tone of the conversation/thread it comes up in. If someone's boasting about how little weight she gained, I'll trot out the "10 lbs down" thing from first pregnancy. If it's a complaint about how little weight their dr wants them to gain, I'll mention the 26 pounds "overall" I gained with my second.
I'm odd that way.

This time around, I lost 6 pounds the first trimester, & now at 22 weeks 2 days am at the same weight I was when I got pregnant. Depending on my mood, I'll either say I gained six pounds or I haven't gained any over my prepregnancy weight. Either is true.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts