Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received the birth pool we rented and the directions say the thing weighs 1500 lbs when full of water. We live in an 80-year-old house, and now dh and I are debating whether our floor will hold the pool. Does anyone know where I can get more information on this? I'd be happy with anecdotal evidence from people who have used this model (called spa n a box) in an old house without problems, but I know dh wants hard evidence of the "weight threshold" of floors and such and such. It's a big pool, 5' across at 3' deep. It would be totally awesome to birth in, but I want to stay in the pool, not shoot through the floor as I'm giving birth and wind up dead in the basement. KWIM?

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I emailed the waterbirth international website, and Barbara Harper herself emailed me back! She said they've never had anyone hurt their floor with a birth pool in 20 years. She also recommended the corner business. I have a friend who was a high school shop teacher and built houses with his advanced students. I'm thinking of giving him a call to see what he says about it. Thanks for all the advice!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.