Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few months, I have been dieting and exercizing while breastfeeding and though I have done well on my weight loss (about 20 pounds in 3 and 1/2 months), I am a little concerned about my son's drop in gain. Cessation, in fact.

He is six months old and for the last two months has not gained an ounce. He eats at will and has even begun some bits of real food (not much) but has stayed steady at 17 pounds.

About six days ago, I decided to stop my diet for a while, and although he has gained a little bit of weight, I have gained three pounds already.

Weight loss has always been intensely frustrating for me. I am very confused about what to do. I do NOT want to lose ground for what I have worked so hard for. (I was actually up to 290 lbs at the end of my pregnancy and currently weight 233... which is my start weight).

HAs anyone been in this postion? I was eating 1800kcal and walking two to four miles a day. Now I havent walked in a week and eat about 2100 kcal a day.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
i don't think a cessation in weight has much to do with you. A lot of babes do that. My son weighed about 19 pounds at about 8 months and weighed 19 pounds at 13 months.

Your increase in calories is fine but I'd stick with the walking. As loong as you are eating healthy your milk is still good to go!!

Congrats on the weightloss so far!!

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by its_our_family
i don't think a cessation in weight has much to do with you. A lot of babes do that. My son weighed about 19 pounds at about 8 months and weighed 19 pounds at 13 months.

Your increase in calories is fine but I'd stick with the walking. As loong as you are eating healthy your milk is still good to go!!

Congrats on the weightloss so far!!
These words are good to hear! I'm glad to know that his lack of gain is seen in other perfectly healthy infants.

gracias. I've never been so steady about weightloss before. What keeps me going is the desire to be healthy for my son.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Ummm, I just saw your sig.... Man, you've got some good MILK!!! Your babe started out so small. His weight gain in that amount of time and for a premie is awesome!

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by its_our_family
Ummm, I just saw your sig.... Man, you've got some good MILK!!! Your babe started out so small. His weight gain in that amount of time and for a premie is awesome!
I think that's why I started to feel that my dieting was detrimental... because as soon as I started dieting steadily, his weight dropped off. I am going to try 2000kcal and see how that works. He's still a fatty though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If it makes you feel better, my 7 month dd weighs 15 lbs (even though she is in the 80th % for height), and the docs seem fine with it. Maybe your son is just taking a breather. He'd let you know if he was hungry

Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts