Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm not looking to be fussed at. I'm hoping some bigger, experienced moms can give me some feedback.

We are twelve weeks today. Things are going great. No health concerns, no worries. My weight has held steady four pounds less than when we had our bfp [the tww always kills me and I gain, so this makes sense].

Over the course of these ten weeks I've weighed myself multiple times per week, always the same time of day, same outfit, same scale, same everything. I've fluctuated within three pounds, between +1 and up to -2. Generally staying exactly the same.

This thrills me because I'm very, very overweight. To be frank, I could loose 100lbs and still be able to loose ten more. To be in a healthy range. I am short so I don't look huge and people often freak when I say that. Point being, plenty of extra.

So I'm eating everyday. Multiple times per day. All day long. Good, healthy food. Before becoming pregnant sweets were my kryptonite. Any time I could eat them. Not hungry, over hungry, bored. In addition to healthy food, I love healthy food. Since about week 6, sweets and I don't always get along. I'm not eating them all. the. time.

And now I'm down two more pounds. Completely fine by me. I'm not concerned. But my wife is unsure and thinks I'm obsessing. I'm hoping some other fluffy mamas, hopefully who have had healthy term babies in the past, can shed some light on this subject.

Thanks, H.

And I wanted to mention - I'm not trying to loose weight. Not even a little. I'm just trying to be aware of it.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Well, I dont have any experience being a mama before, but I am quite fluffy, could definitely lose 70 lbs and be at me "ideal" weight that the BMI scale says is right for me.

But, I see a nutritionist every 6 weeks, and she doesnt consider me as "obese" as the average charts do, so that's nice.

and noooow, my point:
I've lost about 7 lbs since the beginning of pregnancy (and now i'm 13w2d). I'm not sick; and I only have aversions to most vegetables, which I used to really like in most forms. I don't feel the "need" to have something sweet after dinner every night, which was my huge downfall before pg, so maybe that's it?

The nutritionist isnt concerned at all. She doesnt want me to lose weight overall... but, if I maintain, or only gain like 10-15 lbs total, she said it wouldnt be the end of the world, but it woul dbe OK of I gained 20-25. Even women who are considered "very overweight" are still expected to gain some weight, since the baby and all it's associated fluids, placenta, and mom's breasts all have their own mass.

Add that to the fact that our metabolisms are working overtime extracing as many nutrients out of our food as possible, and using our own fat and energy stores to sustain and grow the baby, and it's possible to have some first trimester weight loss since we're not increasing our calorie intake greatly.

I wouldnt worry if you're only off by a couple of pounds. 10 lbs or more, and I'd definitely talk to a health care professional.. But, think of all the women who are SO sick that they can't eat at all, and lose up to 15 lbs in the first tri- and they do have healthy babies too!

There are lots of sources online for this same information, and your own MW might also share this opinion, so you and DW can rest easy. and have a snack.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I appreciate it. I did have a fluffy friend who was so sick her first trimester she lost 25lbs. But the end of pregnancy she was only up one pound. I haven't been sick so first trimester weight loss wasn't a concern. Holding steady was.

When I spoke with my midwife she wasn't concerned. She wants me to ignore the scale and try to gain 20-25lbs. But I think it's tough because I don't look morbidly obese [seriously my bmi is 41!] and so people assume I'm just obsessing.

We talked about a 15-20lb weight gain as I've read 15lbs for obese and actually lost 20lbs last year and kept it off. So I know I can function fine 20lbs heavier. Obviously having it all in my tummy-region will be challenging, but you get the idea.

I guess I was just surprised. It's weird to be eating all the time, not exercising as much as I know I should, and be loosing weight. It is what you say though, not feeling I 'need' something sweet after every meal. And I live an extremely active lifestyle. I spend 50 hours a week with a seven month old, live in a third floor walk up, have an energetic dog [understatement] and rarely sit still. It would make sense that I'd loose.

I'm breathing. That friend who lost 25lbs actually had a full term, healthy 10lb baby. So it's okay, as long as I keep eating.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried. Weight gain/loss isn't concerning unless it is substantial. Perhaps the cutting out of sweets and being pregnant is contributing to the weight loss. You're body is used to the sweets + the healthy foods. Sweets really cause weight gain. When you cut out the sweets (even if you are replacing then with nutritional food) + the normal amount of healthy food you eat, it is still a decrease in daily caloric intake. Your body is used to the extra sugar etc. and now that you aren't eating it anymore, its natural to lose weight, even pregnant. The baby is still getting all the nutrients it needs because you are eating healthier. Look at it this way. You could eat crap food all day long and gain a ton of weight and the baby would be sort of struggling to get anything good. You eat healthy and give your baby exactly what it needs even if you are losing a couple of lbs.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I've been up and down within a few pounds of my pre-preg weight but am now holding pretty steady at a one-two pound loss. It actually makes me nervous since I'm looking for any signs of real life in there, but as long as everything is ok with baby, I'm happy I'm not gaining yet. Plenty of time for that later! I'm about 35lbs over my ideal weight, so a slower/lower weight gain is fine with me.

Oh, and I haven't been sick at all and haven't been exercising at all. I've been hungrier than usual (and eating more than usual) at times. In the beginning I didn't want any sweets, but last week had some major cravings and indulged some. But overall, I'm probably eating a bit less sweets.

·
Registered
261 Posts
DDC crashing from July -

Osker - based on your comments I'd guess we're at a similar weight/BMI and between my 4 midwives (I see a group practice), 3 were for little or no weight gain and one was all for loosing (at a reasonable rate) over the course of the pregnancy.

All of them gave exactly the same advice as far as how I should proceed: eat a wide variety of healthy foods to my level of hunger and ignore what the scale was doing.

(I think the difference between their 'loose' or 'hold steady' advice had to do with their guesses as to what my body would do when I followed the 'eat healthy' advice.)

I am now 18weeks and down 2-3 pounds.

I do weigh daily because this works for me, and if I see myself either going down or up too quickly I can look at my diet and ask myself whether I'm eating enough/too much or whether I'm in a growth spurt/slow down.

As long as the answer to "am I eating enough and with a good variety of healthy foods" is yes, then the number doesn't bother me (whether it's up or down).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.