Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies!
Just wondering what everyone's plan was for loosing the weight after the baby. With my daughter I gained 35lbs. on top of my 150lbs. start weight. This time I'm 26 wks and have gained 34lbs. on top of my orginal 144lbs. I'm freaked. I remember feeling EXTREMELY fat after having my daughter and it took me 2yrs to get to 144lbs. I'm going to start watching what I eat and drinking more water and hope that helps so I don't over do it!

·
Banned
3,341 Posts
I gained 100lbs even with DS #1 and now pregnant with number two looks like I'm going to be in the same boat again.

This time, once the nursing is going well I plan to start using fitday.com (it is free! and tracks calories, workouts, nutrients, percentage intake of fat/carb/etc. ) right away. That was key to losing the 100 lbs with DS #1 before his first birthday. At first I was using way too high a calorie intake and nothing was happening, then I talked to a nutritionist and realized that for my height I really needed to cut down to 1400 calories a day. Once I stuck to that, the weight came right off. (combined with running)

I feel so huge right now, but it feels good knowing I can and will take the weight off again!

ETA: I am not really watching what I eat now, I just eat what I crave. Lots of water is a good idea in any case, but don't restrict yourself, enjoy the pregnancy, don't stress over the weight!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
With my second I gained about 65 pounds, which is a lot on my usually 115 pound frame. After about a year it seemed the last 40 pounds was just not planning on going anywhere even though I was eating healthy and walking daily. So I switched three of my weeklly walks to runs, and the weight FLEW off. This time I have vowed not to gain that much to begin with, and I'll be running just as soon as I can after having this babe.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
With my first i gained 30.5 pounds... lost it all nursing within 5 months

With my second I gained 42 pounds and lost most of it... still had about 12 to go then i had dd and gained 34 pounds... lost most of it... still had about 12 pounds to lose

now with this surrogacy I have lost a total of 8 pounds I have at least 8 weeks left (hopefully more) and am wondering if I can gain the 8 back? but i hear twins and gaining is different.

I did pilates for whimps .... got it through blockbuster

·
Registered
720 Posts
i feel your pain, as i'm feeling pretty huge myself... make sure you're still getting all the nutrients you need though... pregnancy is really not the time to start dieting, your baby needs you to eat! i actually started using fit day a week ago (i'm 19 weeks) not to lose weight, but to make sure i'm getting as many nutrients as i can from my diet - it tracks all of the vitamins (even ones i hadn't heard of).

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow! A free website! That's great! I'm trying to eat healthier foods. I mean if I'm hungry I'm gonna eat! LOL! I just want to cut back on chocolate and things like that for now and see if that makes a difference. I don't want to lose weight right now, just maintain a little bit.

I am so scared of running... I don't know why.
: I guess I had some knee problems, however that was due to lack of muscle tone to hold the knee cap in place. Isn't it ironic.. My dad is a personal trainer and yet I'm freaking about all this! He's going to be opening his own "gym" and hopefully he'll get some really good treadmills. I really enjoy exercising indoors so maybe if I start out with just walking on the treadmill after the baby is born and gradually working my way to running I'll have better results?

I bf my daughter and will be bfing this baby as well... But I don't know if that really made a difference since I probably ate way too much anyway! I just know I can't feel like crap after this baby about my weight!

Thank you ladies for your ideas this really helps me!

·
Banned
3,341 Posts
I totally understand being wary of running. Most professional fitness "gurus" will tell you not to run more than twice a week because of the massive damage it can do over time to joints. I did it anyway because I was on a time crunch, but if you've had knee problems in the past maybe just longer periods of walking or swim areobics would be safer.

FWIW, I .on't think nursing always helps that much. For me it was really hard to diet and make sure DS had the right amount of nutritiuos food going into/coming out of me. If that makes any sense.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
I'll keep the house temptation free and see how it goes and how much I'l loose through delivery and postpartum sweating the first week first.

After recovery I'll walk the baby daily and hope that this and good eating habits will do the trick. I'm nearly 200 pounds now and want to be 140 next summer
:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I know that changing eating habits alone will make more of a difference than only adding exercise, so that's going to be my focus initially (more because of circumstantial stuff than because I don't want to exercise, though). I'm thinking I might do the whole weight watchers points for nursing and then add in exercise as I'm able to work it in with the new babe and the move we'll be making.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone!
pumpkinsmama -- I too have the same feelings about getting enough nutrients to the baby while nursing... I always feel bad if I'm not eating for them. Oompa loompa
: LMAO!! That's hilarious! I'm only 5'3" and weigh 178 with 3 mos. left. Not a pretty picture! I would like to be at 125# by 11-25-2007, my due date next year. We'll see. We should definitely start a club! The Big Mama's club LOL!
It sounds like we would all like to lose some weight post-baby and in a short time. It would be nice to stick together for support through journey's. I'm trying to eat healthier foods now. Infact, we're on our way to the store for more produce!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
yeah, definitely wondering what's going to happen with being pg with #2. with #1 i started about 25lbs up from my ideal weight, then gained 30-35lbs during pg... lost most of it quickly, but then put back on a good fraction again before the 1st year was up. so now i've been holding at 50lbs up from my ideal weight, and got pregnant. i'd hate to tack on another 25lbs because of this!

so far this pregnancy though i've been able to control my morning sickness better by eating protein frequently instead of continually cramming carbs in... so i haven't gained anything yet at all of 6.5 weeks
and i am still nursing, so pg+nursing uses a lot of calories!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well since I was diagnosed with gd I've been trying, notice I said trying, to be more careful with what I eat. I've been logging daily with babyfit to keep an eye on what I"m eating. I'm hoping that by starting now, it wont be so difficult to drop from 2200, to 1800 cals a day. Seriously what's that? A glass of milk and half a pb sandwich? Before I got pregnant I was losing very well at 1300 cals a day and since I'll be bf I know I need to add 500 so I figure 1800 will be a good number. Who knows I may end up having to stay at 2200 while I'm nursing in which case I'll just have to add some exercise. Pre-pregnancy and knee injury I was doing 1/2 hour eliptical each day along with 2 miles walk away the pounds and about half hour strength training. Since babe is due the ninth of november I figure I can slowly start back to my routine around dec. first.

I dropped 30 pounds, in three months, and was at 227, 5'10", when I got pregnant. Unfortunately I'm back up to where I started pre-diet, but it's all worth it. I'm hoping that by my birthday, may 30th, I can get all the way down to 200. That's my goal before we start trying for #4. Although I definetly want to go lower, I'll be happy ttc again at 200. 170 is my ultimate goal though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.