Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am very new to the TF forum. I have recently had an experience eating beef that I found interesting. Perhaps someone could help enlighten me?<br><br>
I suffer from depression/PPD that is currently treated with meds. My PPAF returned about six months ago, after which I felt a horrible lack of energy and very low spirits. One evening I had to make supper and I decided to have steak (just the kind from a regular grocery store). We rarely eat red meat in our family. Usually we eat ground beef if we do, and it is usually part of a casserolle, mixed in with sauces or vegetables. Anyway, I ate like, two steaks because they were sooooo good! The next day, I felt wonderful, happy, and full of energy. I still feel good! That was a week ago. I am wondering if the steak had anything to do with this. I know I am not low in iron, and I eat a lot of chicken, legumes, and I also take a mltivitamin. I really feel this steak I ate has something to do with why I feel so good, or maybe it is just coincidence?<br><br>
I used to have a coworker from kenya who told me that when a woman in her community gives birth the other women in her life make her a beef broth soup that she must drink everyday for three weeks post partum. Is there a connection between the vitamins and minerals in beef and how eating it could have made me feel so restored?

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
There is definitely a link between iron levels and depression. When I'm in a "funk", I'll usually start craving steak. The iron in meat is easier absorbed than the iron in vegetable sources. The reason you don't get the same effect from the ground beef is that you're not eating a whole lot of it. If you sit down and eat a steak, you're getting maybe 4-10 oz of meat. If you're eating it in a casserole you might get 2 oz.<br><br>
You can also try liver for iron if you can stomach it.<br><br><a href="http://www.bchealthguide.org/healthfiles/hfile68d.stm" target="_blank">Here's</a> a comparison of the amount of iron in different protein sources. Note the considerable difference between beef and chicken, and beef itself is halfway down the list.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Zinc and B vitamins could be a factor, too. You get a boost of those from a big ol' hunk of red meat.<br><br>
Unless your multi is totally food-derived and carefully formulated, you're probably not getting a lot of benefit from it (especially in terms of minerals, because certain ones interfere with others), so eating that much red meat at once could give you a real charge.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts