Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw my MW today whom I adore but the appointment was weird. She started off looking at my charts from my previous OB/MW and my Pre E info. She then started questioning whether or not she needed me to get a letter from my previous MW saying that it was safe for me to have an out of hospital birth given my history of Pre E. Sooooo, I spent the first 20 mins of my appointment talking with her a bit while she looked up whether or not it would be safe for her to deliver my baby at home b/c of this history. She was looking it up via her liability etc. So I TOTALLY get why she was doing it and I'm ok with it, I wouldn't want her to risk anything by delivering me if she shouldn't with this history. But I just wish she had done this before I showed up KWIM? It turns out things are fine, there's nothing in her paperwork that says anything about Pre E as a history just that if my BP gets to be 140/90 she'll need to consult with a physician but we already knew that.

So I'm relieved but a little ticked off cause I spent the first 20 mins of my appointment feeling like and thinking I was being let go. There aren't any other midwives in my area that do homebirths except for one that I'm really not comfortable with so if my MW had dropped me today we would have been looking at a definite hospital birth. Honestly, I won't be surprised if we end up with a hospital birth given my history but I'm hoping we don't and it felt too early (17 weeks tomorrow) to think "We can't do this." I don't have any signs of Pre E yet and didn't with DS#2 until 36 weeks so I'm still very optimistic.

I guess it's just hard when you have your birth envisioned in your head and then something threatens it. So, I was a little shaken up when we left today but I'm still in love with my MW and the rest of the appt went well. We scheduled our ultrasound for next Thursday too so pretty soon we'll know what we're having hopefully!

TIA to anyone who's read this whole rambling post. Sorry to be soooo long winded, I just needed to get this out in a supportive area. Thanks again mamas!!!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I'm glad it all worked out for you. I can see why it was just a strange appt., but I'm glad she figured it out.
I seem to get very emotionally invested in my appointments, so I can see where you are coming from.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I totally understand where you're coming from. At the end of my last pregnancy, my bp got up to 140/90 (usually 110/80, 115/80). I was nervous about pre-e, but my mw was comfortable with the numbers as that was as high as it went and I bought a bp cuff and was able to usually get readings throughout the day a bit lower (like 135/85). I was scared I'd end up at the hospital, but having faced that possibility at 41 weeks, I think I'd rather have a while to prepare for that possibility, even if it's not what I want. At least she's willing to work with you and it sounds like things are back on track. Sorry it stressed you out, I'm totally the same way. I get anxious when the pee stick colors aren't an exact match!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'd be ticked, too.
I've had plenty of weird appointments. One was a regularly scheduled first appt and supposed to last an hour, but I had called in two days before with bleeding and a sonogram the next day showed everything fine. But then I got rushed out of my appointment at 30 min because before they got the u/s results they had figured I was miscarrying and wasn't going to be coming in and scheduled someone else! I felt a little hurt. Try not to take it personally, though, I know they're busy.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
YK after my DD's birth I realized that sometimes life doesn't go the way we always envision it. I planned a waterbirth in our local baby friendly hospital and after 30 hours of labor ended up with an emergency c/s and now have a t-incision on my uterus creating my destiny of having another.

I'm just saying it is good to be prepared for whatever may happen. I know we all have visions of what we want the future to be, but sometimes it isn't what we expect.

I mean right now I am on basically bedrest and had a bleeding episode, I never expected that. My pregnancy may become high risk, didn't see that one coming. I'd be glad that she was concerned about your situation, there's a lot of providers that would take things with a grain of salt.

Having a hospital birth isn't the end of the world. I mean I am having a planned c/s, but have the hopes that it can and will be a wonderful day still. I get to meet our baby and share a special moment with my DH(and a whole room full of people
). sometimes that's just life.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Hugs, I hope things work out for you!

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just want to clarify that I TOTALLY understand that there's a good chance that I'll end up having to transfer to a hospital to have this baby because of Pre E. That wasn't the issue yesterday. The issue was I thought she was dropping me from her care because of the legal aspect of caring for a mom with a history of Pre E and that the history of it meant I shouldn't even entertain the idea of a homebirth. She was also figuring this all out in front of me which made me feel uncomfortable and like I was waiting to find out if I was being dumped.

I'm ok with having to go to the hospital if it comes to that, but I want this MW with me and yesterday that all came into question. That was the concern.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yeah I can see how making chit-chat with the mw while waiting to see if you're going to be dumped would be rather uncomfortable and annoying! Glad it worked out though, and I hope you stay pre-E-free!

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leilamus View Post
I just want to clarify that I TOTALLY understand that there's a good chance that I'll end up having to transfer to a hospital to have this baby because of Pre E. That wasn't the issue yesterday. The issue was I thought she was dropping me from her care because of the legal aspect of caring for a mom with a history of Pre E and that the history of it meant I shouldn't even entertain the idea of a homebirth. She was also figuring this all out in front of me which made me feel uncomfortable and like I was waiting to find out if I was being dumped.

I'm ok with having to go to the hospital if it comes to that, but I want this MW with me and yesterday that all came into question. That was the concern.
Oh I get it. She should have figured out all her own liability issues beforehand, I just wanted to say that sometimes things just don't go as planned. I hope that you can have a peaceful homebirth. I wish for me that my situation could be different, but it's not and it seems to get weirder by the day. I may have to get dropped by my Dr if things continue with my placental issues(which I have the feeling won't and it will heal). That would turn me into high risk and my options for a Dr here suck. The high risk OB in this county I would never step foot in his office, so I can understand the issues.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys! it was just that initial feeling of oh crap, I'm being dumped. But things are resolved now and look good. so here's hoping the Pre E stays away and we get to have our homebirth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.