Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd got a bug bite on the back of her shoulder several days ago. For a few days now it has had a big red area around it. Probably 1.5 in. in circumference. I haven't worried about it too much, but it seems to be getting bigger and now the red area is all rashy. It is small raised bumps all over the red area. The bumps aren't any darker in color than the rest of the area. I did not see what bit her. And she has not been itching it. Probably because it is in a hard to reach spot. She has a lot of bug bites all over that she got several nights ago when we set up a new toddler pool for her. Most of them are mosquito bites. So any ideas what this is from and if I should worry about it?

ETA: She also came down with a fever yesterday afternoon and it hasn't let up much. I haven't taken her temp, but I'm guessing around 101-102. Right now it's down a bit, but still higher than normal. There is a virus going around our area though that causes a fever, so it may not be related at all.

· Registered
2,937 Posts
Does it look like a bulls eye? If so a tick might have bitten her… If lyme is a concern in your area I’d give her doctor a call.

· Registered
5,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it doesn't. However I decided to take her into the dr. anyway later this evening since she's got the fever too. Lymo disease is a concern in this area and we have lots of ticks and spiders in our backyard. We've also seen a fair amount of brown recluse spiders in our house.

· Registered
966 Posts
My dd was treated for lyme disease last summer. Her rash didn't really look like a bulls eye to me, more of a growing red circle and she was running a low grade fever. She wasn't tested because the ped said that even if the test came back negative, she might still have lyme. Deer tics are really prevalent around us. I also had it at about the same time. (I've already picked 4 off her this year!) YUK! Good luck.

· Registered
5,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wouldn't I have seen the tick though, if she had been bit by a tick. We've picked two off of her this season already, but I don't remember ever seeing on one her shoulder. We'll see what the dr. says.

· Registered
5,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the dr. didn't think it looked like a tick or spider bite. She did think it looked like the skin was getting infected though and she was pretty certain that the fever was related to the bug bite. So, she prescribed some antibiotics. I'm not a fan of antibiotics, but it does seem to be getting worse and I don't like seeing her so miserable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.