Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keira went to daycare yesterday (she's just turned a year old, is fixed), and as I checked in on their webcam, it seemed like she was constantly being mounted by other dogs. I was thinking of talking to the daycare people, as they're usually pretty on the ball about stopping that sort of behaviour right when it starts.<br><br>
When I went to pick her up, one of the staff asked me if she was spayed. I said she was, at 3 months when we adopted her. He said they wanted to know as she had quite a "following" all day long by the male dogs and they were worried.<br><br>
Now, Keira's generally a big weenie, on even the best of days. And her weenieness generally brings out the worst behaviour in more dominant dogs that don't *know* how to be politely dominant. So I chalked up the mounting to that, but why so bad on this day?<br><br>
I also don't know if she should keep going to daycare. We've pretty much stopped going to dog parks because she just freaks out and runs around at top speed, enticing the other dogs to chase her and nip her, which then makes her roll over and scream like she's being killed. It gets everyone upset and all the dogs get riled up. I liked daycare because they introduce her slower and they're pretty good at shutting down crazy dog behaviour. But I can't imagine she had a good time, trying to escape from all these dogs trying to mount her, and she's got some scratches on her belly and inside back legs.<br><br>
So was this just a weird day, or is there a health issue I should be worried about?<br><br>
~Julia

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I'd give it another chance. Maybe it was just an off day. But if it still happens at the next visit I would pull her...why go to a place where she's just going to be annoyed all day?

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Check her vulva for any discharge--she could have a bit of an infection that's making her smell like she is in heat.<br><br>
If she's having fun at daycare, keep her there. It's SO good for dogs to have access to and relationships with other dogs, as long as there's no aggression involved. So if she's playing *and* being mounted, I'd still keep her involved. If she's just freaked, I would talk to the staff.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update:<br><br>
Well, you were right Joanna, she's very red and irritated around her vulva and has been licking it a lot. There's also a lot of darker areas that look like dirt or something caked on her skin. She had a vet appointment today and they think it looks like urine scald. A preliminary urine test didn't show anything but they're sending a sample out to another lab.<br><br>
They think that maybe when she pees, if her vulva pulls in, it can create a pocket for urine to get trapped in. Not sure what this means long term.<br><br>
So for now we're cleaning the area once a day with wipes, applying and ointment/cream several times a day to sooth and heal her skin as well as to keep new urine from getting on her. Plus rymadil (sp?) twice a day for pain.<br><br>
Does that sound like something that could have been causing the mounting? She's been licking her private bits for a few weeks now, but I didn't think anything of it and it was only this one day at daycare that the other dogs were really harassing her. She won't be going back until this gets cleared up I guess.<br><br>
~Julia

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Any kind of vaginitis will smell attractive to many male dogs (savvy stud dogs know the difference, but most males just think she smells weird and good and maybe they should try something). Sounds like they may be describing a tipped vulva, which does trap bacteria and become infected. Hopefully once you're over the hump of this infection, a daily cleaning will be all that is needed.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I did forget to ask what long-term treatment would be. Tipped vulva sounds just like what she was explaining to us.<br><br>
How could you tell if she has this by looking? When she's rolled on her back she *seems* normal looking (though I'm not an expert!) or at least nothing looks really weird.<br><br>
Would you only be able to tell by looking/feeling when she's standing or squatting?<br><br>
~Julia

1 - 6 of 6 Posts