Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 12 month old DS has a TERRIBLE rash that i can't identify. it only happens in cloth, not sposies. he has approximately five large [dime-sized] blisters on his bottom. they ooze a pus-like liquid and seem to hurt quite badly. he also has one on his scrotum.

we've tried EVERYTHING. stripping diapers, boiling them, creams and balms, switching to stay-dry inners, then all natural fibers, changing literally the SECOND he wets or poos, so forth. the ONLY thing that has helped is putting him in sposies. ugh. worse, i can't set him on the carpet without a diaper because the fibers stick to the oozing sores and he literally gets stuck to the ground. same thing if i sit him on a prefold.

does anyone know what this might be? he's been cloth diapered since birth and this is the first time he's been rashy like this. it's been happening for a few weeks.

edit: right now we're using fuzzi bunz [brand new, bought last month] stuffed with prefolds and microfiber towels. they've just been stripped as well. before that, when the rash began, we were using prefolds under wool.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we use planet powdered ultra detergent. before that, we used simple green and washing soda. he's been rashy through both washing methods. i cut TTO out thinking it might be the cuprit. so far, no change.

planet's website says "powdered laundry detergent contains no perfumes, dyes, enzymes or optical brighteners."

so it's not enzymes or irritation to perfumes or dyes. it doesn't seem to leave a residue either because when i stripped the diapers, they were barely sudsy at all and really didn't NEED to be stripped. we don't have hard water.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
do you have an ammonia smell when your ds pees in a diaper? There really should not be any ammonia odor in a freshly peed in diaper. Ammonia occurs when bacteria (already in the diaper) and urine combine. This is usually the result of diapers not getting clean enough. If that is the case try using more detergent. I'd let him wear disposables at night until he heals and let him go coverless during the day. Poor guy
I hope he heals up soon!

Oh, one more thought...I don't know what you're using with your wipes, but I wouldn't use anything other than water.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
actually, yeah, his diapers have a strong ammonia smell when he pees in them. by laundry day they smell TERRIBLE. perhaps i'm not using enough detergent? i use about 1/4 cup, sometimes less if it's a small load. yikes! maybe i should try using a bit more. i'm confident it's not leaving a residue so i'll try.

we use plain warm water for wipes.

thanks, mamas!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Good to see that it's not your detergent at fault!

If you find that you can't get rid of the ammonia smell no matter how much detergent you use, you may want to try boiling your dipes in a big stockpot on the stove. I have this problem with my pocket inserts and boiling them really kills whatever is in there! Of course, I have to do it regularly (about once a month or so) but I'd rather take the time to do that than have stinky dipes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.