Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when I am chopping veggies or fruits up, I toss the dog a piece to see if he will eat it. I never knew he would like so much, lol.

A few of my pups fav's are

cucumbers
cantalope
carrots
snap peas
apples
grapes(made this discovery today after Dash got into ds's grapes before he did, lol)
green beans

Does my dog secretly want to be a vegetatrian
?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
503 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SevenVeils View Post
Don't let your dog eat grapes.

Or raisins, chocolate or ONIONS. All of these items can kill your dog, some quickly, some slowly.
Shoot, what's wrong with grapes? I don't think A grape is going to kill your dog.

OP- My dog will eat ANYTHING that I am eating! Once she was giving me 'dog eyes' while I was eating a pickle and DH is like, "give her a piece so she will know it's sour and she doesn't want it'. So I did and she LOVED it! She drools when I bring out the pickles!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,418 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by femalephish View Post
Shoot, what's wrong with grapes? I don't think A grape is going to kill your dog.

OP- My dog will eat ANYTHING that I am eating! Once she was giving me 'dog eyes' while I was eating a pickle and DH is like, "give her a piece so she will know it's sour and she doesn't want it'. So I did and she LOVED it! She drools when I bring out the pickles!
http://www.pethealthforums.com/forum...food-dogs.html

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/grapeandraisin.htm

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates/...m?Story_No=257
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I know about the grape/raisin/onion thing. I didn't mean to for him to eat them, he swiped them off ds's plate. He had loose stool today, poor guy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,132 Posts
My dog gets very little people food (unless something drops from the table accidentally), but I trained him with carrots, and he still adores them. I can't teach him any new tricks, because if he sees me with a carrot, he will run through every trick he knows, trying to please me enough to get that carrot!

His weird food is grapefruit. I gave him a piece once (to see if he would pucker),a nd he LOVED it. It is the only food for which he will beg, and he will drool over it. Interestingly, he doesn't like oranges nearly as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,046 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SevenVeils View Post
Don't let your dog eat grapes.

Or raisins, chocolate or ONIONS. All of these items can kill your dog, some quickly, some slowly.
This is SORT of true. The amount it would take is a LOT. Our dogs have had chocolate and grapes and onions... all with us knowing the small risk. All is fine. Just don't let them eat a whole semisweet chocolate bunny or a bowl of french onion soup...


Oh, and forgot to add...

Radishes
pickles
oranges & grapefruit
lettuce
tomatoes (right from the garden--- I thought they had a red ball!)

This isn't one dog, it's many dogs over many years. But some of them really surprised me. I used to use pickles to bait the one dog for showing. Gross... but the garlic... oh, the garlic. He adored them.

Forgot coffee! I had a puppy who got a taste of my Starbuck's and loved it forever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts
I don't know about "a lot" - I know chocolate can vary in what it takes to make a dog sick. My IL's scottie ate like a half-pound of M&M's and was fine, but they say it varies by dog, and the raisins, poison control claims as little as 7 raisins can be toxic. Better to avoid entirely, I should think.

My keeshond we had growing up adored cantelope - begging, drooling, etc.

And I know this thread is dogs, but one of my kitties was completely bonkers over roses - we couldn't have any in a vase unless it was somewhere he absolutely could not reach, or he would eat each petal, lovingly....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,046 Posts
Ooooh, I had one litter of puppies that destroyed ALL of my David Austen rose bushes. Ate everything... flowers, stems, hips. They adored them.
 

·
Registered
3
Joined
·
3,771 Posts
My dog, Princess, loves Apple Martinis.
: I'm sure they're very bad for her, and of course I never GIVE her any. She's usually a very obedient dog- won't take anything she's not given- but bring out an Apple Martini, and leave it unattended, even for a second or two, and you're likely to find her drinking it as fast as she can. She's a really strange dog.

My dog, Tara, eats everything. EVERYTHING. Food or not food. she ate a roll of toilet paper last fall.

We used to have a dog who stole food off the table on a regular basis, so one day, my Hubby left a hamburger with hotsauce all over it. Didn't work- only made the dog love hotsauce.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Our dog loves dried banana chips. We started getting them for the birds and one fell. Buster was all over it. Instantly hooked. If he feels it's been too long since he was given a chip, he will stake out the bird cages hoping one will get tossed his way (our parrots like to throw food).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,418 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
This is SORT of true. The amount it would take is a LOT. Our dogs have had chocolate and grapes and onions... all with us knowing the small risk. All is fine. Just don't let them eat a whole semisweet chocolate bunny or a bowl of french onion soup...


Oh, and forgot to add...

Radishes
pickles
oranges & grapefruit
lettuce
tomatoes (right from the garden--- I thought they had a red ball!)

This isn't one dog, it's many dogs over many years. But some of them really surprised me. I used to use pickles to bait the one dog for showing. Gross... but the garlic... oh, the garlic. He adored them.

Forgot coffee! I had a puppy who got a taste of my Starbuck's and loved it forever.

Even small amounts of onion, over a period of time, can cause hemolytic anemia. This is not something to be cavalier about, and it does not go away. I actually have hemolytic anemia and it is not fun. It is chronic, life threatening, requires high doses of prednisone for the rest of my life which causes its own set of problems in addition to the HA.

It's easier to prevent your dog from eating some foods, than to treat some of the things which they can cause.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,046 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SevenVeils View Post
Even small amounts of onion, over a period of time, can cause hemolytic anemia. This is not something to be cavalier about, and it does not go away. I actually have hemolytic anemia and it is not fun. It is chronic, life threatening, requires high doses of prednisone for the rest of my life which causes its own set of problems in addition to the HA.

It's easier to prevent your dog from eating some foods, than to treat some of the things which they can cause.
SO not likely, though. I understand your concern, but it is just not something I would freak out about if my dog had some onion. Garlic can cause this, too, but garlic is in tons of dog food and treats. I make tuna brownies for my dogs with tons of garlic and they adore them! I wouldn't withhold something they love and that has so many benefits just because of a small risk. I don't think people should go out and feed tons of onion to their dog, but if the dog gets some, no biggie. The amount it would take is a lot.

Of course I am so sorry for your condition, and do not mean to make light of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,651 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crystal_R View Post
DD didn't finish her eggs tonight so Stinky ate scrambled eggs with breast milk. He seemed to enjoy them lol.
Dogs love scrambled eggs. When I make egg omlets, I make Dusti the last one sans onions with eggshells crushed up in it. MMMMMmmmmmmmm
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top