Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was NIP my 2-year-old in a very public place surrounded by thousands of strangers. Shortly after DS was done nursing, an older man came over and sat down next to me and said, "I'm next!" I had no idea what he was talking about (it didn't even occur to me that he was joking that he wanted me to nurse him), so I must have looked at him like he had three heads. I think he was embarrassed that I didn't laugh at his joke.

Anyway, he stood up and said, "But seriously, I just wanted to say what a wonderful thing you're doing for your child, and that you must be a fabulous mother." Only then did I understand that he had approached me because I had been nursing, so I smiled really big and thanked him for being supportive. Maybe next time he will just give the nursing mom the compliment without prefacing it with the odd joke.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts

When I was at BIL's wedding (in Texas) and DS was the ringbearer (and two weeks short of three) apparently the Mother of the Bride was overheard telling people how she couldn't believe I was still nursing. Anyway, the Father of the Bride was like, "Why didn't you tell me?!?!? I wanna see"

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
A bit creepy, the first comment is.

Nice to have some accolades though isn't it?

I have had some very nice comments over the years, while breast feeding in public. It was especially nice when I had my first and was not so confident nursing in public. I remember an older lady looking at my son and saying how he looked so happy that he must be breast fed. She said breast fed babies always look happy. That really made me feel good during a rough period, when I really needed someone to say something positive about nursing to me.

When my first was 2 I saw a woman nurse her similarly aged child in public. I mustered some courage and walked over to her. At first, by the look on her face, I could tell that she thought I was coming to scold her or something. I told her how nice it was to see someone else nursing their 2yo and that mine was also a nursling, etc. She smiled and we are still friends now, almost 4yrs later

·
Registered
19 Posts
We have a rather ... rude? ... crude? ... offensive? ... "friend" that shows way too much interest in breastfeeding mothers around him and always cracks that joke.

"Oh! I'm next!"

"Can I have some?"

"Mmm... Daddy wants some too!" (He's not the daddy.)

My hackles go up everytime I hear someone makes a joke like that.

·
Registered
607 Posts
!! That is um, an interesting way to give kudos, but at least it was a kudos right? I'm always so wary about approaching moms NIP because I have seen people say just leave me alone, I don't need your approval etc. So I just try to catch their eye and smile really big. They still might think I'm a psycho.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I think its pretty darn funny...the comment.

I guess I'd have to "read" the guy, but it sounded like harmless sillyness.

Benjamin Rogers- However, YOUR comments you posted about that guy ARE CREEPY!!!! BLEEEECH! What a freak!

I had a UK older couple sitting next to me on a plane ride accross the pond, My DS was 1 at the time and the wife sat next to me, but while the boy was nursing the hubby leaned over and rubbed his hair and smiled. I felt VERY happy that my BF didnt bother him or phase him. It made me feel really accepted. Kinda cool.

My DS is now almost 2 and the size of a three year old (LOL) and I'm starting to really be nervious about NIP. Which stinks, I thought I was stronger than that. I still do NIP if he wants but I wish I didnt feel so "secluded" the way I do now about it.

Anyway...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts