Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The kids and I were at an agricultural show this week, and stopped by a beekeeping booth. They had a see-through hive, *beautiful* jars of raw honey, lots of educational material, etc. I overheard the woman staffing the booth telling another visitor about the benefits of raw honey and natural foods. After the other visitor left, she turned to talk to us. She was very nice and friendly, and asked the children what they knew about bees. She took them to the demo hive and showed them the queen, etc, etc. We were all loving it.

That's when I saw them on a table next to the demo hive -- books by the Pearls, including "To Train up a Child".
: I didn't say anything because I knew anything I said in that situation would only make her defensive and not really change her mind about anything. Plus, I then would have had to explain to my 6 and 4 year olds why I was upset. I didn't care to tell them that this woman beats her children, and thinks other parents should do the same.

Too bad. I was all ready to buy some of her yummy looking honey until I saw that.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Well, I'd for one, be a little cautious about jumping to conclusions if you hadn't actually heard her talking about the book. I can think of all sorts of reasons why the book would be there and in her posession without her actually subscribing to any of it. My initial reaction is that someone she knows wanted to lend the book to her and knew that she'd be there today, so they stopped by to give it to her.

Perhaps instead of making the initial assumption that she's a Pearls advocate, asking a question like "Oh, I've never read that book! What's it about and how do you like it?" would let you feel out the situation. If you found that she really was an advocate, it would be a way interject some AP/GD tidbits into the conversation without her, hopefully, becomming too defensive.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Arrrggg.. the Pearls. I'm Christian they even get under my skin! What really gets me, besides the whole beat your kids with a plastic weapon
: , is also the way they "train" children, to be doormats bascially. Their philosophy about girls gets me too, they want them to be submissive doormats who bow down to their man's every whim! I read on their website that instead of leaving an abusive husband, they would rather she stay and pray! WHAT! Grr...I better stop...I can feel my blood pressure rising....

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Was she selling the Pearls books? If she was selling them I would take that as endorsment of them and definitly would have hightailed it out of there.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazydiamond
Well, I'd for one, be a little cautious about jumping to conclusions if you hadn't actually heard her talking about the book. I can think of all sorts of reasons why the book would be there and in her posession without her actually subscribing to any of it. My initial reaction is that someone she knows wanted to lend the book to her and knew that she'd be there today, so they stopped by to give it to her.
I might have thought that if there had been only one copy. But there were several copies available for sale. In addition to "Train up a Child" there were other titles (including a marriage one by Debbie Pearl) and brochures. I'm fairly certain she was advocating this crap.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by luv my 2 sweeties
I might have thought that if there had been only one copy. But there were several copies available for sale. In addition to "Train up a Child" there were other titles (including a marriage one by Debbie Pearl) and brochures. I'm fairly certain she was advocating this crap.
Oh okay! I guess I missed the fact that she was selling them! I thought that maybe it was just one copy laying on the table or something.

But from what you describe, yeah it definitely sounds like she really likes the Pearls
You're right, there wasn't going to be any constructive dialogue occuring if you said anything. I'm sorry. . .that's awful

·
Registered
796 Posts
I'm blissfully ignorant about Pearl's, but just from reading this thread I feel :puke ! I wouldn't have bought her honey either and I LOVE honey!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loves2wearbaby04
Im clueless... Can I just google Pearls advocacy??
There's a thread about them in the Activism forum right now. They're pretty horrible people. I used to have a link to the full text of one of their books online. They advocate whipping kids, even babies, any time they do anything you don't like.

I would have lost it, if I met that someone selling those books.

Here's the conversation about it in the Activism forum.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=270325

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BusyMommy
:puke

I'm so sorry & I'm so sorry for those kids.

I hadn't heard that about abused wives. That is truly sickening.

Oh heck yes. They are sickening. I saw the videos and they are horrid. I also read one book where they tell you that you should welcome your husband back with open arms, if he has molested your children and did jail time for it. I am just sickened by the whole thing.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TinkerBelle
Oh heck yes. They are sickening. I saw the videos and they are horrid. I also read one book where they tell you that you should welcome your husband back with open arms, if he has molested your children and did jail time for it. I am just sickened by the whole thing.
That's disgusting... granted I would never have to ask what to do in such a situation because anyone who did such a thing to my kids wouldn't have lived long enough to go to jail...
: Welcome them back with open arms my arse! I will never understand the way some people think, the really sick thing is, isn't Pearl a "christian" minister? (note the quotes as no Christian would behave in such a terrible manner)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CryPixie83
isn't Pearl a "christian" minister? (note the quotes as no Christian would behave in such a terrible manner)
Ya know, the whole "christian" connection just makes it that much worse. I bet if the Pearls weren't claiming a biblical basis for this stuff, they'd be in jail. The bee woman had a scripture reference under her name on her name tag and on her bee literature, so presumably she's right on board with their warped view of God. Thankfully, most Christians don't go in for this horrible distortion, but even a few is too many.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
That's just too bad.....the whole honey thing was appealing to me as well

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
I had a wacky experience in that the first person who recommended the Pearls to us was my La Leche League leader's husband.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by phathui5
I had a wacky experience in that the first person who recommended the Pearls to us was my La Leche League leader's husband.
Whoa! It doesn't totally surprise me though. Many conservative Christian subgroups -- both scary Pearl types and more normal, reasonable folks -- are very into what Mothering calls "natural living" because they see it as living "the way God intended". (There are quite a few of the normal, reasonable type here at MDC.
) As I mentioned in my OP, the bee lady was into raw honey and other whole foods. She talked about how raw honey can treat asthma and allergies, etc. I'm sure if she kept quiet about discipline issues, she'd fit right into some of the forums here on MDC.

The terms "Natural Living", "Attachment Parenting", and "Gentle Discipline" are used almost interchangably by people who practice all three of them, as most of us here at MDC do. But really, they are seperate philosophies. Someone can subscribe to some version of one of them without subscribing to the others. (We may quibble about definitions, of course.
)

ETA: I don't mean to make it sound like I'm telling you something you don't already know. I'm just chattin'!

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Quote:
They advocate whipping kids, even babies, any time they do anything you don't like.
It's even worse than that. They advocate TEMPTING babies to do "bad" things and then punishing them for it. For example, holding out a toy or something and then when the baby reaches for it, slapping his hand
It is absolutely sick
:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EVC
It's even worse than that. They advocate TEMPTING babies to do "bad" things and then punishing them for it. For example, holding out a toy or something and then when the baby reaches for it, slapping his hand
It is absolutely sick
:
Why would they do that? What is it supposed to teach?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts