Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My toddler is weaned, has been for about a year, but I'm still nursing my babe. I have a very big supply and a huge stash frozen in the freezer.

The last few days my toddler has been on a hunger strike, he'll only drink cow's milk (we can't afford soy) but refuses to eat anything. I let it go a couple days, but it's really bothering me now. I'm half tempted to start giving him cups of pumped milk to drink so I feel at least somewhat better, but here's the rub. He insists on chocolate milk. I have no clue about adding chocolate to breastmilk, it just seems odd. Has anyone else done it? Is it ok? *sigh* It feels so wrong to add chocolate to breastmilk, but I really want him to have something during this hunger strike.
:

ETA: I use nonfat chocolate, just a drop for taste. I try not o, but during his strikes anything to get something in him.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I'd definately try the breast milk over cow's milk. If he'll drink it, that's great! All I can say is try adding the chocolate. Could you add cocoa instead?
Or, I've never used it, but what about ovaltine? For extra vitamins I guess. All I know about ovaltine is what I've heard on the commercials.

I know you said he's weaned, but could you try nursing if he won't drink it from a cup?
Just some thoughts!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I wasn't sure about adding anything to it. LOL He hates the taste of it plain, he's asked to try a few times since ds2 was born but just makes a face and spits it out. Funny, he used to drink it nonstop.

At lunch (which he still didnt' eat) I gave him a cup of pumped milk with a squirt of chocolate for flavor and he drank it all. I feel so much better now, even if I'm ruining the perfection.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I think it's a really creative way to get something good for him down his throat!!! Good for you!

Besides, what are you going to do, ruin the taste of breast milk for him? It's not like he's going to have a lot more chances in life to drink it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.