Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week my DH noticed my son's hands were rough. On Sunday, they were red and peeling. It's been a week with lots of lotion, and nothing clearing up. Someone suggested it was a fungus. Before I go to dr., anyone know anything about this or experienced anything similar? Anything I should be thinking or doing?

I've thought maybe eczema (sp?) or like an athlete's foot type fungus, but don't want to just put anti fungal cream all over his hands if I don't have to and I thought the eczema would clear up with lots of lotion and dilligence.

thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Eczema doesn't usually peel. I think it sounds like a fungus. A quick way to tell is to put some anti-fungal cream on his hands at night, after he falls asleep. Then, if the rash looks a little better in the morning, that is most likely what it is. To be sure, put it on everytime he sleeps - nap time and night time. You will know for sure in a day or two because it will look considerably better by then. If there is no change by then, then it is not a fungus.

Apple Cider vinegar is also a good anti-fungal, though I don't think it works as quickly as over the counter anti-fungal cream. But, if you didn't want to use the cream, you could try acv.

If it is a fungus, whatever you decide to use, make sure you continue with it for a week or two after the symptoms are gone so that it won't come back. Also wash any gloves or mittens he may have been wearing.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, I think we'll try this, and if it's not better by Monday we'll give the dr. a call.

I have to say I laughed out loud at the mittens comment, I didn't even think of that b/c we live in AZ. No mittens here, we're still in flip flops!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Does your son have a fever or other symptoms? Sometimes that peeling and redness can be a sign of other illnesses. My nephew just developed this too but in addition to high fever and was diagnosed with Kawasaki's Disease. Keep an eye on it just to make sure it is just his hands.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no other symptoms, no fever. Not really eating great today, but welcome to toddler-hood, right?

I did notice some skin peeling today on his feet too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.