Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know my son can't be the only one who brings weird things to bed with them at night and will NOT go to sleep unless he is holding them. Last night it was a cough drop bag that actually only had hard candies in it (DH had been swapping him hard candies for the cough drops earlier in the night). luckily DS doesn't appear to realize they are eatable and all he wanted to do was take them out of the bag and put them back in and then take them back out again and eventually take the wrappers off and have me put them back on, then proceed to put take them off again put everything in the bag and put it back again. He had a fit when I sealed the bag (ziplock) and turned out the light insisting it was time to nurse.. he shook the bag in frustration and then still clutching the bag nursed to sleep.

In the past he had also brought baby proofing items (the round things that go around the cords for the venetian blinds), empty pill bottles, blocks, and he tried to bring a pen.. I'm sure there have been more but my brain is blanking..It's always interesting when he is trying to nurse while holding onto three items and suddenly gets upset because he lost a piece, so I have to go fishing in the bed for it and he is certain I have the item because I am trying to take it away from him!
Ahh the joy of toddler logic..but I love his goofy self!

So what sort of weird things have your kids brought to bed with them??

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I once rolled over at 3 a.m. onto a frying pan. (No my 2 year old is not trying to cook me) She has also brought to bed: stapler, bouncy ball, balloon (then she got mad because the balloon would not stay in bed) numerous books, mirror, and my personal favorite; lipstick (it had melted overnight and was a MESS in the morning. She brings these things to bed after I go to bed early on Friday and Saturday nights (I am a paramedic and an RN so on weekends I work weird night hours so I go to bed earlier) I just wonder why Dh has not stopped her, I guess he thinks it is funny.
:

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
My oldest DD used to bring really weird things to bed. Around 1yo, she really got attached to oranges and had to have one with her at all times, even in bed. When visiting my mother she, horror of horrors, had no stock of oranges, but had a basket full of onions. So DD carried an onion everywhere even in bed. She's brought balloons, silverware, random laundry items, hard toys, spice jars. She would brink cooking pots full of something, like wooden food. She "normaled" out a little since then, but now DD2 is picking up the slack. I recently woke up with a spoon stuck to my body.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Mine don't bring anything too crazy to bed, but one likes to sleep hugging her sippy cup (water) and the other can often be found wearing a tutu over her jammies, and one night a tutu and an old outgrown winter coat.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramama View Post
My oldest DD used to bring really weird things to bed. Around 1yo, she really got attached to oranges and had to have one with her at all times, even in bed. When visiting my mother she, horror of horrors, had no stock of oranges, but had a basket full of onions. So DD carried an onion everywhere even in bed. She's brought balloons, silverware, random laundry items, hard toys, spice jars. She would brink cooking pots full of something, like wooden food. She "normaled" out a little since then, but now DD2 is picking up the slack. I recently woke up with a spoon stuck to my body.
Mmmmmm, I bet the bed smelled nice after the onions were there!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
My then 2.5 yo brought his new bike into the bedroom and was very upset that he could only sleep NEAR it, and not on it. Also, pie plates (the mini kind about 6 of them) pictures, books, once he insisted on sleeping in his fathers work shirt over his jammies, i was panicked all night thinking it was going to strangle him. that's about it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
my nine month old has brought remote control, telephone (she loves buttons), water bottles, linking toys, balls, her boot - whatever thing she happens to be in love with before she goes to bed. Thanks for the thread...I needed the smiles after many nights of sleep deprivation! It's good to remember how danged cute they are!

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have a really cute picture of DD sleeping next to her open book.

She's brought play food to bed. I have another picture of her cuddling an ear of corn.

Her real obsession is water bottles. Not like baby bottles filled with water, but the bottle I carry my water in. She snuggles right up to it. This started during night weaning. Good to know I was so easily replaced. lol

·
Registered
437 Posts

A little OT, but Eloisa really likes to be holding food in her fingers whilst in her carseat. Generally a cookie, cracker, cheerio or breadstick. She sometimes eats it, but it also seems to be a sort of a security for her to sleep. We went U-pick blueberry picking once and Eloisa insisted on holding a blueberry in her little fingers for the ride home. She pitches a fit if I try to take anything away from her before she is completly asleep.

Usually she wants her stuffed bunny or puppy, but she sometimes insists on clutching other odd things. Toy cars and trains, books, toothbrush, she would bring her shoes to bed with her, but I have a very strict rule about no shoes in the bed.

Eloisa once got really attached to an onion also. But didn't try to bring it to bed with her, thankfully.

·
Registered
260 Posts
my son insists on bringing the tea kettle to bed with us. for about a week now.

he is attatched to pears. he reads stories to them. and they must be present for the bedtime story. it's too bad pears aren't sturdier!

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaGG View Post
my nine month old has brought remote control, telephone (she loves buttons), water bottles, linking toys, balls, her boot - whatever thing she happens to be in love with before she goes to bed. Thanks for the thread...I needed the smiles after many nights of sleep deprivation! It's good to remember how danged cute they are!
My 3-yo DD likes to wear her shoes to bed. And she's recently developed a fondness for a certain Thomas the Tank Engine (or as she says, "Thomas the Tank-and-Jim") book that has buttons that play music when pushed. You roll over on that in the middle of the night and suddenly there's alarm clocks ringing, trains whistling and parade-horns blowing.

MamaGG: your little one was born on my birthday!
:

ETA: my oldest son, who's now 11, used to bring Hot Wheels into bed when he was 3... by the double-handful. I would find six or seven every time I made the bed. Always different ones.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
My niece, 2 1/2, was given a Christmas tree ornament by the Santa at the mall. SHe said she was going to give it to my DS (her own idea). SHe's still saying that...but she's also taken it to bed with her every night since she got it!

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I should add, DS has tried to bring all manner of things to bed, but I've always discouraged hard objects because I worried he'd roll over on it and wake up. We have a history of difficult sleep, so I didn't/don't need anything to make it worse!

·
Registered
2 Posts
taken to bed coloring, a plastic camara, pens, hard toys, mini books, magizines, playdough...the list goes on lol!

__________________________________________________ _______________
Doyle Vernon Rockwell
August 9,2005 12:04pm 8lbs 19 1/2 inches long OFC 33cm
maconium asperation.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Is it bad that I'm almost crying I'm laughing so hard internally while trying not to wake DD who is sleeping in a wrap on me?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.