Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know alot of us aren't weighing ourselves but for those of us who are tracking our weight on a weekly basis or so:

How are you gaining the weight? About three weeks ago I put on four pounds (seemingly overnight) and stayed at that weight for about three weeks. Then (again seemingly overnight) I jumped again - this time eight pounds.
: I can't understand how I am gaining so fast, I am practically weighing myself on a daily basis but really only comparing weekly weights. It just seems wrong to me. Anyone know what could be going on? I'm not swelling badly, it doesn't seem to be water weight.

· Registered
258 Posts
i have a very fancy scale that tracks what percent of your weight is water. i have also had some weird jumps overnight and every time it's been water. i don't think it's even possible to gain 4-8 lbs. of fat, muscle, or baby overnight. at least i hope it's not possible - i ate pudding, ice cream, and two cookies yesterday!

if you can, i suggest getting a scale like mine. it makes me feel so much better!

· Premium Member
15,163 Posts
Yeah, the overnight weight gains are almost always water (unless you have gone on some sort of binge eating spree).

I did that, jumped four pounds over night, and the only thing the nurse could say was that she was glad I had "gained my weight back" (because I had lost five pounds over the course of a month).

I have just jumped another four pounds over night, so I am watching my water weight and swelling very carefully.

· Registered
4,196 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by whoabethy View Post
i have a very fancy scale that tracks what percent of your weight is water. i have also had some weird jumps overnight and every time it's been water. i don't think it's even possible to gain 4-8 lbs. of fat, muscle, or baby overnight. at least i hope it's not possible - i ate pudding, ice cream, and two cookies yesterday!

if you can, i suggest getting a scale like mine. it makes me feel so much better!

I have a scale like that and it metions not to use the special features (%water and % fat) when pregnant.

I too have jumps, usually just a lb or two.

· Registered
420 Posts
I don't even own a scale but weigh myself at my MIL's every 3 weeks, the day before my midwife appt. In one span, I gained 8 lbs and the next 3 week span I only gained 1.

· Registered
1,642 Posts
I gained 30 lbs last pregnancy, and all of it was in jumps like that.

Overnight I'd gain 5 lbs, then 10 lbs, then another 5 lbs. It was NEVER (weirdly) in intervals other than 5 or 10 :p

My midwife said not to worry about it, everyone gains weight and everyone gains it differently. Some people are gradual and some aren't.

I'm hesitant to say it was water, since 2 days after DD was born I had only lost 7 lbs, and then it took me 6 months to lose the rest of the weight.

· Registered
3,706 Posts
I don't have a scale, but have put on weight in my thighs & rear end
I bet I have gained at least 8 to 10 pounds. I'm 19 weeks.

· Registered
5,516 Posts
Until the last month, my weight gain is usually in jumps like that. I wouldn't worry about it.

· Registered
3,544 Posts
With my first I lost 25 pounds to start (didn't know I was pregnant and was thrilled to have a loss of appetite...easiest diet ever! DOH!)

Then in the next three months I gained about 5 pounds total...then in the last trimester I was gaining weight like crazy, 5 pounds one week 8 pounds the next and I SWEAR I wasn't eating unusual amounts of food and if anything I was more active...okay not as fast, but I was walking everywhere! I was perplexed and my doctor refused to believe that I wasn't stuffing my face with Croissants and ice cream covered with pasta.

At the end I had gained about 25 pounds more than I had lost in the start (so depressing!).

I was then truly convinced that during pregnancy I have absolutely ZERO control over how much weight I gain or when, unless I resort to starving myself and my baby...so I give up.

As long as you are eating right and limiting excessive salt (my major weakness) and getting plenty of water you're probably fine.

· Registered
723 Posts
I've been weighing myself on a weekly basis, roughly, and I always weigh in the morning before breakfast and after peeing. Oh, and naked. Just making sure I get the lowest number possible

I gained 5 lbs in the first trimester and have been gaining an average of a pound a week since. I'm 19 weeks and up 10 lbs, but I'm trying to get back into a regular workout schedule because I've definitely noticed my bum and thighs growing, much to my dismay. I have a tendency towards saddlebags and I hate them with a passion, so I'm trying to kick it up a notch to avoid it. But I've noticed that my bum and thighs are getting dimply
Also I was supposed to go to the gym today but took a nap instead, whoops!

The good thing is I've gone up two cup sizes and seem to have so much boobage I'm not sure what to do with it! DH isn't a boob man, but still I'm loving it.

· Registered
341 Posts
I've been gaining very slowly this pregnancy. It's very odd for me. In the 1st trimester I gained 4-5 lbs. I've only gained a total of 8lbs now, at 20 weeks. It's been about a lb every 3-4 weeks although last time I lost a lb.

· Registered
557 Posts
I lost a couple of pounds the first trimester, then gained 4 by my 4 mo. appt. so ahead 2 altogether. But in the last two weeks it 'seems' like I've gained about 4 pounds! I don't really trust my scale, though, because sometimes I'll weigh myself a couple times within an hour having consumed or 'lost' nothing and get different results. I *did* eat a sugar covered donut last Sunday, though.

I don't know if this is totally hard and fast, but my understanding is that one pound equals about 3500 calories. Therefore, to gain a pound you have to consume 3500 calories more than you expend. There are websites with little calculators where you can put in how much time each day you spend active or sedentary and it will give you a base amount of calories you probably burn a day, and then you add in any extra exercise or whatever. So, when I was losing weight, I would make sure I ate 500 calories less than I burned each day [or burned 500 more than I ate, if you want to look at it that way] to lose a pound a week.

But I don't know how pregnancy affects that formula, or if it does. Or if there are any other variables...because I've heard that some people with more beneficial gut flora burn more calories just b/c of that.

· Registered
246 Posts
With my first and second pregnancies that is exactly how I gained, in quick jumps. Once it was on, it was on to stay, so it felt like true gain. I also lost weight that way after births. With my second, I lost 30 lbs within the first ten days. That still blows my mind. I lean more towards thinking that is the way by body does it, although maybe the babies grew in spurts too and I just matched! This time at 21+ weeks I have gained five pounds thus far... which I find so, so strange but I'm going with it.

· Registered
1,136 Posts
I'm kissing 24 weeks and I'm still down about 19 lbs.

· Registered
557 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoSoxMama View Post
With my second, I lost 30 lbs within the first ten days. That still blows my mind.
Yeah, I lost 40 pounds in the first 2 and a half weeks after I gave birth. [found out later I had postpartum thyroid problems, unknowingly had hyperthyroid at the time].

I was just thinking, too, during pregnancy, maybe some water weight gain is permanent, because of the increased fluids [blood, amniotic fluid, etc.] in pregnancy. Water weight that we would normally pee out, stays in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.