Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've been lurking on the GD board for a few months now. I was pretty skeptical, but I kept reading. Then I started yelling at home. Then spanking. Of course all this only made things worse. And worse. And worse. Finally I figured out that we were going nowhere fast. So I made a decision. I would not yell or spank for 24 hours. It was hard, but I made it. Then I pledged another 24 hours. We made it through. Then I checked out Positive Discipline and bought Positive Discipline A-Z. We've made it about a week now and things are SO MUCH BETTER!!!

My biggest surprise was how much I'd stopped doing things that used to work - like having my 3yo do chores. She LOVES them, and acts so much better when she feels like she has completed a grown up job. And really stopping to talk and get her input when she fusses so I know what is really bothering her instead of just focusing on making her stop whining. I used to do all this, but somehow slipped and lost my focus. Now I am aware that I need to watch myself and keep up my efforts. Plus I know I need to make sure I rest more - one of my problems was that I was getting too tired - and I'm really grumpy when I'm tired.

Thanks for being here, even when I have my doubts.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts

Before I actually had a child I never imagined I would struggle so much with Gentle Discipline, but I do. I have to take it one step at a time also. I do things like give myself a 'no yelling' goal , and when I acheive the goal set another one. Thank goodness for this board!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.