Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had everything perfectly planned out. I am due to graduate in less than 2 months. We don't have enough income to cover our bills as it is so I've been using our credit cards carefully and for bare neccessities. My DH has no income because we need someone to watch DS while I work and I make about 4 times as much as he could in this economy (he did have a business but that's long gone now and he's left with a hs diploma). I make too much to qualify for daycare assistance or any "aid". If DH got a holiday job, he would probably be making close to min. wage and the daycare around us that we would trust is $8/hr since it would be a drop in. We would lose money if he worked right now. I work evenings too so the daycare isn't open the hours we really need it and we have NO family here.
Anyway, I got a notice from my credit card company (the one credit card left with NO balance but high limit) telling me they already shut down my account because of my other accounts with high balances. Too bad I have perfect credit but I guess they only see it as a liability. So now, I have no way to feed my family next month and it's too late to quit school. I have a graduation fee of $540 due before they give me my diploma and I have no way of paying that either. without that degree, I can't get my raise which leads me to not being able to afford all of our bills. Graduating would mean about a 600 raise per month- I NEED it. I feel like walking out into the street and waiting for a car to run me over. I have the finances to deal with along with my exam coming up and it is too much to take in right now. I am SO mad~ this wasn't suppose to happen like this.

We own a house that is not beyond our means if BOTH of us had income (125K mortgage). We are upside down on our car payments as it is and I work too far away to give mine up. I stretch meals as much as possible, I need the internet for school, I don't have a cell phone. Our electricity and water are always high because of the area/county we live in. This is just so unfair.

· Registered
9,902 Posts
Can either of you get a job on the weekends? Paper route? Work opposite shifts? Have you checked out the local food banks?

I'm so sorry that things are hard right now.

· Registered
2,670 Posts
Yes unfortunately someone needs to work opposite shifts, its going to be hairy and stressful but it needs to be done. Make up a chart going every 30 mins of every day (a full 24 hr time period) and see exactly where you and DH are, see where you can fit in extra work, who can juggle what and someone will find extra work. it has to be done.

· Registered
1,386 Posts
I'm sorry you're dealing with this, especially now when you're so close to being done with school. I would have to agree though that it seems like your only option is to find a way for someone to pick up another job. You said you work evenings, can your dh work some nights? It won't be easy for sure, but if it's only a few months until things ease up, you can probably find a way to make it work. I like 1growingsprouts idea of charting your day to see who is where and when to see where you can carve out some time for work. Is there something your dh could do from home while he's with your ds?

· Registered
358 Posts
I'm so sorry this is happening to you! I would go to your school and beg and plead to everyone who will listen, schools often have some emergency money available for students. They may be able to make you a loan, or make the graduation fee go away (although this probably depends on what kind of school you attend, this advice probably wouldn't work with an online program). It is worth a try. Are you taking loans? Sometimes you can get additional loan money midway through the semester if you haven't used your full allotment.

Otherwise, do you have friends you could trade childcare with, so your DH could work part-time, and then watch friends children part-time. Is there anyone you could borrow from? I had borrowing, but you are so close to graduating!

· Registered
2,482 Posts

Two suggestions: #1 see if you can get a loan from your college. I know that my college gives short-term loans of $1000 or less. So at least you can pay for your college and get your diploma.

#2 Go to fasfa.gov and apply RIGHT NOW for a student loan. You might be able to get some money to get you through.

Another
, I am so sorry. I know how you feel! I was just turned down for the fellowship that I thought would pay for my daycare and credits for my LAST semester of grad school.

Good luck, mama!
I hope things get better for you.

· Registered
5,300 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maryeliz View Post
I'm so sorry this is happening to you! I would go to your school and beg and plead to everyone who will listen....
This is the first thing to do. No school wants to have an almost-graduated student out there begging for graduation money. As soon as your classes are over, your transcript will say "degree requirements complete". Take thta to employer and nicely ask for raise

Next, go to Amazon.com and sell every textbook you are not in love with. If you sell them now, you may be able to raise $$$. The publishers are bringing out new editions every year or two, so selling promptly is a good idea. Amazon will deposit $$$ in your bank account after about 2 weeks.

Finally, ask relatives for a short term loan

· Registered
4,382 Posts
They used to give emergency loans when I was in college, maybe you could get one?

How about another credit card? It'd probably have a horrendous interest rate, but maybe someone would take you on?

· Registered
5,946 Posts
in addition to the other stuff that has been recommended, i know that in the long run this sin't great advice, but just to get you through, can you try calling the credit cards you still have and ask them to up their limits a bit? it sounds like even a $1000 hike would get you through....or else, if your credit is good, just try and open a new credit card??? You have to do what you have to do...

· Registered
1,115 Posts
I don't have any wonderful advice but I want to say that we are in a very similar situation. I graduate next week (pending one final) and I had a credit card limit drop last month. We are both in school full time and schedule classes opposite each other so we don't need childcare. Also $540 seems high for a graduation fee, mine is only $25.

Is there any overnight work your husband could do? or weekend? Whatever comes in will help. Have you applied for help and been denied?

Good luck. You made it this far, you will make it the rest of the way.

· Registered
683 Posts
What about applying for a grant through Modest Needs? I think this is the kind of situation that they help with. I'm not sure if you qualify, but it's worth a try.

Good luck!

· Registered
8,569 Posts
You could apply for a different card or two; they may give you a low balance but if each gave you $500 of credit you would be able to meet your expenses.

I'd also fill out a FASFA online ASAP. You may not qualify for grants but you may be able to qualify for a student loan.

· Registered
1,371 Posts
At graduation time, if things haven`t been figured out I would definitely consider going to your company and explain that you need to pay the graduation fee to get the raise, and see if you can get an advance. It depends on what your work situation is like, but you can be the judge of that.

Does your school have a student union? I don't even go to a brick and mortar school, but I still have a student union that offers emergency assistance and other bursaries.

· Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been working on 1 at a time. My school doesn't have any assistance to offer but they did tell me I can do payment plans and graduate after it's paid. That didn't help much but at least there is a payment plan if I can do that.
I already sold all of my books on amazon and ebay a few months back when my battery died. I am currently going through everything to sell on craigslist and ebay but there aren't as many buyers these days. I applied to modest needs (that's for that suggestion- I feel optimistic on that). The school is recognized by federal funds but not for the program I am attending so I can only get a private loan for that (which I already have one). Although my credit is "perfect" as in no late payments or deliquencies, the high balances on my credit cards brings down my score. I was denied for a credit card I applied for so I feel like crap
I've done everything right as far as being on time and managing my money but when I'm down the most, no banks are there to help.

· Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also, we have looked into a night schedule for DH. Any suggestions on what jobs hire for nights? He had already applied for stocking positions at various stores, UPS is not hiring, gas stations are not hiring, I don't know where else to look? I just saw a post about being a waiter.. perhaps he can try that route but has no experience with that. I'll have to send him off to see what he can do again.
I work crazy hours and a crazy schedule. I take work when they have it (I an on an "as needed" basis). I work 16 hours some days (then takes me 1.5 hrs total of communting back and forth) so he can't work a full 8 hr shift a lot of times and I have minimal notice of when I can work- I also work weekends. He just put out flyers for cleaning cars and got a call so that's $20 coming this weekend. This is SO damaging to someone's self. I feel aweful knowing he is scrubbing someone's car but $20 is just that $20!

· Registered
8,569 Posts
Well, as a pp said you could try asking your job for an advance for the $540 graduation fee.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.