Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given, "Your baby's first year, week by week". I had just started reading it last night and got to the part of circumcision.

First of all it says, "your baby will be circumcised, if you request it" in the list of things the pediatrician does. In the section about penile care it says that for an intact penis you need to gently retract the foreskin each time you change the diaper and wash the area with soap and water.
These books are sold just about everywhere. It makes me even more determined to get the real information out there. It's sad when parenting books that first time parents tend to rely on are absolutely wrong.

I can't even bring myself to read the rest of the book now
:

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
good thing i only looked at parenting books after i had already gone through it... i would say thank g-d for common sense but i have noticed there are a lot of people born without.....

·
Registered
929 Posts
Aren't the publishers setting themselves up for some massive lawsuits here?

Imagine, if someone had that book, were following it, caused all these infections and scarring we've heard about and THEN found out the reason why it was happening? It would be SO easy to prove cause and effect wouldn't it? And the AAP give explicit instructions to the contrary for care of the intact penis.

"The foreskin usually does not fully retract for several years and should never be forced."

http://www.aap.org/pubed/ZZZ13FOPIUC.htm?&sub_cat=1

·
Registered
803 Posts

i HATE stupidity like that-was it the newest edition also??
OH ARRRRGH thats makes me so angry. people should KNOW better..
:
im going to have to get the address too and write a letter as well. hrmph.

that is just sad..and people follow it as "gospel truth",if its in that book,well then..
sigh..

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daisyuk
Aren't the publishers setting themselves up for some massive lawsuits here?
Probably not. The courts presume that people know they can't believe everything they read and pretty much follow that in all cases. There are some exceptions but not many. This is one of the places where the court would expect people to have enough common sense to confirm what they read. However, as we know, common sense is very uncommon and people do believe this stuff.

Frank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.