Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard of solar well pumps, but they are supposed to require more maintenence. Anyone have one?

Can an electric fence be run on solar? Seems like it would lack juice at night at least.

Maybe I should hook these things into conventional electric?

thanks,
Deborah

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I haven't heard of any problems wih solar pumps, but you need to make sure your pump can handle your well depth. Solar electric fencing is pretty common; ours is a little unit that runs completely independent of the house solar and you can find them in most farm supply stores. If it has good enough charge it can run for several days in darkness. HTH

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
All the livestock catalogs have the solar fence chargers. I would recommend getting a good one if ou go that route. Mine powers up enough to go a few days in cloudy weather. I have horses and they stay away from it. I had one that lasted a year. I have one up now that is on year 4.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
There are really neat windmills for pumping water. My parents just put one in on their 500 ft well. They have more than enough water but then that of course they have a fair amount of wind to pump. sdhould you have a spell of calm weather the pump can be hooked up to a compressor.

Have you looked at the price of a good solar fence charger
:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
They work for me. You have to keep the fence line clear of weeds.

As for a water pump I would think that if you have a shallow well you are better off with a hand pump. It takes a lot of juice to get water up from a deep well ( we have a 1 horsepower pump for our 547 foot well).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts