Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sweet little 2 1/2 girl who was 9 lbs. 14 oz. at birth and lost about a pound promptly in the hospital. When we weighed her at her one month, she was almost 10 lbs but not quite. I haven't been worried about her weight gain becasue she has seemed like she is nursing well and isn't really hungry all the time or anything ( nurses about every 2 hours, maybe a little more). I just took her in for her 2 month (a little late!) check up with the pediatrician and she really scared me about her weight. Apparently she went from the 99th percentile to the 38th since her last visit (in weight). She went from the 70th to the 68th percentile in height though. I have had some people comment that she looks lean or thin, but she seems like sh ehas a lot of baby chub on her (because I see her naked and I see the chub!) but she is just a leaner baby. I'm wondering if maybe because she was two weeks late she put on a lot of weight that made her SEEM like a big baby but really she is more petite...does this make sense? SHould I be worried? I started taking fenugreek to boost my milk supply in case that was the problem and I have tons of milk now, but she seems like she is nursing less rather than more now that I've taken the fenugreek. Has anyone had there baby drop in percentile like this? Were you worried?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I didn't have that problem, I had the opposite, but I ate a TON of oatmeal cookies. They say Oatmeal can increase milk supply. I have a really yummy reciepe if are interested PM me, cause I may not check back to this thread.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Look for these "red flags."

Continued drop off the charts in the months to come.
Lack of head growth.
Lack of developmental milestones.
Appears dehydrated.
Cries, refuses to nurse, poor sleeping, arches back during or after feeds.

If she is not doing any of those things, and she appears to be nursing normally, satisfied after the feedings, developing fine, and her head is continuing to grow in proportion to her body, she's probably healthy.

I have a couple of friends who had bigger babies and it took those babies a few mos to find their natural size. One of them has turned out to be on the smallish size but perfectly healthy as a toddler. I have two lean babies. One was fine, just small, one had Failure to Thrive and feeding problems.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Well, my DD was a bit like that. She started off 6 lbs, 10 oz according to the midwife's "fish scale." The next day at the ped's office she was 6 lbs, 3 oz. So either she lost that much or she was really closer to that in the first place, not sure. So she was in about the 10th percentile for weight. She went down to about 6 lbs the first 4 days, then started gaining and gained about a half ounce a day or a little less.

She grew about an average of 4 oz a week, (per my weighing her regularly at home, didn't take her in to the ped again for a well baby visit until 6 months). However, she hit 27 inches at 6 months, and her head circumference was 41 cm, so I checked the growth chart info at kellymom.com and she had actually increased in the percentiles for length and head circumference. I think she just sprouted lengthwise, and also she really slowed down and thinned out at about 4-5 months, I think because she was getting really active--rolling over, kicking, jumping in the jumperoo and just moving all the time. I was a little concerned about her weight (and my supply) but also she was happy as a clam, nursed well with obvious swallowing, peed and pooped well, and was bright eyed and bushy tailed and meeting all her developmental milestones. So I think that she is just a long lean baby. I will say however, that since she started on solids (at 24 weeks, beginning of May) she eats like a little piggie, and her weight gain really increased from then to now--she went from 12 lbs on May 4 at the ped's office, to about 16 lbs now. So who knows?

I did do some research, and it seemed from what I read (Dr. Sears, Dr. Jack Newman, kellymom.com) that slow weight gain, particularly in a baby who doesn't poop often as you would expect but has plenty of wet diapers and nurses fine, can be about insufficient hindmilk. I started doing breast compressions and switch nursing to try to increase the hindmilk she was getting. you can look this up on Kellymom.com.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
What growth chart is the ped using? If BF babies are compared with FF babies, BF babies "appear" to gain weight faster at first, then slower later. (I say "appear" because BF babies are the biological norm even if FF babies are the cultural norm - so technically BF babies develop normally and FF babies grow slower at first and faster later).

My baby was like 10th percentile at 3 days (nursing problem) then 75th percentile at I think 2 months then dropped down again, now at 40th. The ped peered at her last time and said "Well, she doesn't LOOK underweight." Well, she doesn't, she looks fine. My ped doesn't use the WHO charts, which use BF babies as the baseline. So she is being compared to FF babies.

I don't want to just reassure - if it's a problem, it should be looked at - but if everything else seems ok to you, just this doubt brought up by the ped and the dumb growth charts, she's probably ok. On the other hand, if there are other problems, mostly the red flags a PP mentioned, yeah, it's time to get that addressed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts