Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just started 5 days ago and I'm already catching some pees and just caught the first poo! I don't know why I waited so long (11 weeks), I had been thinking of ECing but just thought it was too much at first with my 2.5 year old requiring so much attention. And there are moments where I just can't respond to DS2 right away, but I'm taking it slow and relaxed and not worrying about misses or practicing on the go, just trying to build the communication with my baby. I'm actually pleasantly surprised we're catching on this quickly. I finally got inspired to try after running into and talking to a friend with an 8 week old who totally has it down, diaper free and maybe a miss every 4 days.

So, questions... When can I expect him to develop a "no" cue? He kind of just sits there acting happy when I hold him in position and he doesn't have to go. And any suggestions on pooping while nursing (his favorite time)? I have a bblp but that is cumbersome in the lap. Or should I stop nursing him to potty him and then resume? Thanks!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hey Shannon,
We just started at 11 weeks too! I'm not sure why I waited so long... I guess I wasn't confident in the process. We have been 3 whole days and only 1 miss on me (we are naked all day) and a few wet diapers when dh is with her. He puts her on the potty but when she doesn't go he puts a diaper on her. When I asked dh well did you sing the pee pee song to her he was like wth is the pee pee song. I haven't cued her with anything other than our pee pee song. We had one poo tonight while nursing, which is her favorite time to poo and it's never daily maybe once every few days so it's really hard to time. So I was thinking hmmm I bet she is ready to poo anytime now and she kinda started grunting while nursing. I called for dd to bring me the potty and oops too late. Good thing I had a blanket under her bum! I told her she needs to give mommy clearer signals about pooing.
Emersyn clearly signals when she doesn't need to pee and she's on the potty she gets real stiff and kinda fights the potty. Then she may signal 10 or 15 minutes later and then she pees...
I think this is the coolest thing ever, and we are just getting started!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Quote:
He kind of just sits there acting happy when I hold him in position and he doesn't have to go.
Maybe he's just enjoying himself. My DD used to do this before she could sit on her own. It was the only time she was "sitting" and she really like to do it. Now that she's sitting all of the time the novelty has worn off and she squirms to get off when she's done.

Quote:
Or should I stop nursing him to potty him and then resume?
That's what I did. And then I started pottying her before every meal but for a while she still had to stop midway.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We would also stop nursing if I could tell dd was going to poop. I wonder if they just grow out of it, though, cos she stopped doing that in the first few months. Actually, before EC nursing her was one of the ways I'd get to poop- she much prefers going in the toilet.

She started cueing a "no" soon after we started taking her- maybe a couple of weeks. now, though, sometimes she seems to cue "no" but she just wants somewhere else... wish there was a cue for that. for example, yesterday, i took her to pee in the toilet. she cued "no" so i put her over the sink, "no", so i put her over the tub and she peed.

good luck! enjoy!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by manitobamama View Post
I called for dd to bring me the potty and oops too late. Good thing I had a blanket under her bum! I told her she needs to give mommy clearer signals about pooing. !
hi ladies. yeah, this is the story of our days....We were ECing so well, I think I got a little lazy--and pooped on a lot! But also, my boy just isn't making the same pre-poo sounds and faces anymore. He used to be so predictable, until about 6 weeks or so, then no warning! Out it comes!

BTW Jolene, our babies were born on the same day!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. It's going pretty well. Like I said, I'm taking it slow. We're still using diapers but I'm just taking them off and catching probably at least half now. It is hard with ds1, Milo, sometimes I just can't get to pottying the babe on time because Milo is not cooperating.

I wish we could be at home naked more but Milo needs to get out and burn energy and do things. I am stopping nursing sessions to poop but he doesn't seem to mind. I have to be quick on the poops though. Peeing he seems to give me more time. He might be starting to cue me no a little by looking away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.