Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am soooo sick of being sick. DS and I can't seem to go two weeks without getting another cold. We JUST got over a long drawn-out one last Thursday, and now we're coming down with ANOTHER one! I'm seriously thinking when this baby is born we're just going to have to stay home ALL THE TIME for three months. What else can we do???

I take raw garlic every day, I've tried sodium ascorbate, we try to keep our sugar intake down (although we slip on this one), we eat pretty well, lots of home cooking...and our vitamin D is great. What am I missing?! Is this just part of the territory when you have a toddler? I really don't want this new baby to be sick all the time too.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
wish I had advice. I never get sick, like ever, and then... this past 6 months I've come down with everything under the sun it seems. We're on week 4 (yDD and I) of a terrible cold that just won't leave.

but I don't worry about the little one being sick... when yDD was little all those awesome nursing antibodies really kept her healthy and I figure that will be the case this time too.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I tell you, when I was pg with DS, I never got sick, not once. I had people practically dropping dead of flu coming in to use my office phone and go through my paperwork and using my computer, and I never sanitized anything, and I NEVER got sick. I seriously thought pregnancy was a magic immunity bullet. Ha! Well, not this time around.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gcgirl View Post
I am soooo sick of being sick. DS and I can't seem to go two weeks without getting another cold. We JUST got over a long drawn-out one last Thursday, and now we're coming down with ANOTHER one! I'm seriously thinking when this baby is born we're just going to have to stay home ALL THE TIME for three months. What else can we do???
staying home would be nice if you could swing it, but I think you mostly just have to trust in breastmilk and baby's immune system. At least, I do. I have two kids in elementary school and another in preschool. Staying home and keeping them from bringing germs home just isn't going to happen here. We've currently got a cold, too. The coughing is killing me -- I seem to have pulled a muscle in my belly (????) and every time I cough I have really bad sharp pains in my abdomen! Just what I need at 37 weeks! Luckily, my older three were all nursed for years and their immune systems are pretty good so they don't bring EVERYTHING home. Just the nastiest stuff. ROFL.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Wow, I hate to say anything here.... but we haven't been sick at all (knock on wood!), save a two day cold. The only thing I thought when I read your post that wasn't mentioned was probiotics. I believe strongly that those help. DD (23 months) and I take some everyday.

But, I am "that woman" though that sanitizes carts every shopping trip and washes hands a lot and we do go out to the children's museum, mall play area, etc...so we are out and about....but I carry lysol, antiseptic wipes, etc in my purse. We also avoid friends and playdates if they have been sick until they have been well for many days. Pathetic? Maybe, but the last time I had the flu and was lying on my floor for two days sicker than a dog I vowed to do whatever it takes to try to stay well. Yuck!

She is still BF, and we also eat a lot of garlic, red peppers, etc... as medicine-food. Good luck, feel better, and remember the baby will have lots of protection if you are breastfeeding.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunfish21 View Post
Wow, I hate to say anything here.... but we haven't been sick at all (knock on wood!), save a two day cold. The only thing I thought when I read your post that wasn't mentioned was probiotics. I believe strongly that those help. DD (23 months) and I take some everyday.
I did forget to mention probiotics. We do take them everyday. I make sure to take s. boulardi specifically, too. Sigh.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I was thinking this today as I wiped nasty thick green snot off of my toddler's nose. We have had more antibiotics in this house in the last month than in the entire nine years I've been a mother COMBINED. Between pneumonia for the little one and strep and a UTI for me, we have pretty much wiped everything out of our bodies, I think. Add a really nasty stomach bug that the older kids picked up to the mix, and it's been a doozie of a month. I hope we can get and stay relatively well before the little one shows up. All I could think when the kids were vomiting was "I CANNOT go into labor...who would take my vomiting children?!"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.