Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are thinking of moving to western NC in the near future and have some ?'s. I like Asheville although it seems too expensive for us. does anyone know about the Waynesville area? how about Marshall and surrounding areas? If we lived up there(on some acreage,hopefully) how long would it take to for my dh to get to some sort of employment?(he is a food service director for an assisted living community now).<br>
thank you to anyone who can help! you can pm me if you want instead!

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Hi Jill,<br><br>
First there is no way for any of us to say when you DH may find employment, it seems really hit or miss around here. A good site to check out is <a href="http://www.ncesc.com" target="_blank">www.ncesc.com</a> its the states employment security commissions job listings for the state.<br><br><a href="http://www.haywood-nc.com/" target="_blank">Haywood County main page</a><br><br><a href="http://www.townofwaynesville.org/" target="_blank">Town of Waynesville</a><br><br><a href="http://www.cantonnc.com/" target="_blank">Town of Canton</a><br><br>
I think you are picking a super place to live as they are right atthe foot of the Great Smoky Mountains. Youll have tons of opportunities for hiking, fishing, etc living there. I suspect though that these places may be a bit pricey due to tourism and such...<br><br>
Hope these links help.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the links! sorry for not responding earlier.<br>
we are actually going to be in north carolina on november 6th,7th and 8th. we are looking for a cheap place to stay if any one knows about one!!<br>
also does anyone have some ideas about what we should do when there that doesn't cost a lot? parks?<br>
thanks for any and all ideas!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Asheville is a wonderful place to live! There are cheaper areas. West Asheville is very reasonable, the houses are a bit older though so beaware of lead.<br>
Canton i would push against. There is a pulp mill there which smells horrible! high levels of sulpher in the air.<br>
Marshal is beautiful, about twenty minutes outside of town. it's starting to grow, i'm sure it won't be long before a health food store opens up there. asheville has a wonderful community for family. so many people move here for that reason. not to mention the sub culture here is great.<br>
there's a wonderful resteraunt i recomend if you're in the area:<br>
Rosettas Kitchen. it's on lexington. all vegetarian, very very cheap. you can get a bowl of mashed potatoes and awesome nutitritional yeast gravy for two dollars. also max and rosies on lexington; vegetarian as well.<br>
i'm not sure on places to stay and i'm new to the area so i'm not good with the parks yet. but there are plenty! there's a science museum downtown aimed towards kids. haven't been but heard it's fun.<br>
hope this helps.<br>
good luck with your move wherever you go.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Green Quartz for your suggestions! we are looking at a house in Marshall when we arrive! seems like a nice area.<br>
the restaurants sound great too!<br>
we cannot wait to get away from this heat for a couple of days and see some mountains! we miss the seasons as we are originally from the northeast. florida is just not where we want to be!<br>
anyway thanks again!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
so how was your trip??<br><br>
We live in Barnardsville, north of Asheville, kind of East of Marshall...it takes my DH about 20 minutes to drive to work in Woodfin. We have an acre for a garden and got a great deal...you can find them if you look!<br><br>
WIERD...in my career days pre-baby, I worked in Assisted LIving in Florida...what company does he currently work for? Is he wanting to transfer to another ALF here? There are many, especially south of town and in Hendersonville...large elderly population. Also, with so much tourism, it seems he may be able to get a chef job-many many restaurants, coutnry clubs, etc. Did he go to culinary school?<br><br>
Yes, Asheville is a very cool place to live. We have an awesome whole foods market called Earthfare with cafe too as well as a co-op. A very cruncy place to live!!! We have a great LaLeche League that meets in West Asheville, too.<br><br>
Welcome!!!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we had a good time!we didn't want to come home!<br>
even though it was cloudy and a little chilly there we were loving it!<br>
the house we looked at in marshall was too far up a mountain for my liking and not any yard for the kids and dogs to play in. I am sure we will find something though.we did really like that area<br>
though!<br>
That is weird that you worked in asl too. my dh likes it some days and can't stand it on others.He does not have a culinary degree but is a great cook and manager!I don't know whether he will continue to work in that field.where ever he gets a job is good!<br>
He is working for a company called Edenbrook now. they actually just got bought by another company. Before that he was working at Atria.<br>
I loved going to Asheville,but I would not want to live right downtown.We ate at The Mellow Mushroom,and they grilled up some tofu for my baby.Nice!<br>
Anyway,if you hear of some good houses on the market or jobs,let me know!Thanks!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts