Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dd doesn't sleep if she has a wet diaper which isn't a problem if she's sleep well and soundly because she doesn't wet in her sleep. if she's sleeping well and soundly she wakes up dry and then wets her diaper. but she's not sleeping well lately and the whole wet diaper thing is making it worse. she'll wake up dry but in the nursing and the rocking she'll wake up enough to wet after she's been out back in the srib so she wake up twenty minutes later (just after i've gotten back to sleep) because she's wet. so we nurse and rock again til she's back to sleep and repeat the whole thing in a couple of hours.

what should i do? i can't take her screaming because she's wet and uncomfortable. i just feel so bad. she wears clothe diapers and i don't want to use disposables at night. any suggestions?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ouch! No sleep for the weary, huh? I couldn't stand the big, wet spot ds (1/05) was leaving in our bed every morning so I recently got him some wool soakers to wear over his regular (disposable
: ) diaper at night. I don't know if it has made him more comfortable, but I am so happy that I'm thinking of getting his big sis (6/02) some too, even though her "spotting" is more sporadic!
Laura

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Take her potty before you rock and nurse her in the night. I don't know how old your DD is, but it's never too early to start with Elimination Communication. Have you ever heard of it? It sounds like you have a baby who really, really would rather use the potty than have a wet diaper, so if you want to get more sleep, your best bet would be to take her diaper off and hold her over the sink or the potty to let her go. There is an Elimination Communication forum under Diapering, which is in Natural Family Living. You could get some more advice on it there. IMO, if your DD doesn't like wearing wet diapers, it is respectful to help her avoid them.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
can you just change her really quick in the bed? ds is dry as long as he is sleeping well, but like your dd, he will peep if he is a little awake. i can change him without him waking all the way up.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the suggestions.

i'm still not sure what i'm going to do. last night was particularly frustrating. she really woke up once, but it took an hour and a half out of my sleep with two diaper changes and and then trying to nurse a baby back to sleep who wasn't hungry anymore because she had just nursed.

i have a feeling we just have to wait for dd to grow out of it. i think the change from cool to warm night is throwing her. it does me. and we just moved. but she has gone back to giving me one three+ hour stretch. i feel so lucky.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheena
Yeah. My dd would lose her mind if I dangled her over a sink or a potty.
I don't "dangle" my DD. It is a pretty comfortable position as far as I can tell and when she does have to potty in the night, she fusses a little, I take her and she never even wakes up all the way. That's how it is for most babies who use the potty in the night. It's much less disturbing to everyone involved than the situation katebleu is describing, which is why I suggested it.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Forgive me for using dangle, it does sound negative. It just seems to me that most EC promoting posts have a tinge of negativity towards diapering. Believe me, were I to sit my dd on a potty when she is tired she would be way more upset than she is by a middle of the night diaper change.

OP, are you sure it is the diaper? Could it be teething? Are you using a wool cover?

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
I'm not negative about diapers - we still use them sometimes!
The only reason I mentioned respect is because I know that EC sounds too "out there" for some people and it helps it sound more reasonable when you phrase it in terms of doing what your baby would want you to do. I just thought that, in this case, it would be easiest to sit the baby on the potty or hold her over the sink or whatever (depending on her size) before nursing her. That way, she would pee first, then nurse back to sleep, because it seems the real problem is that after she wets her diaper she doesn't want to nurse to sleep again because she's full.

Anyway though, I was also wondering if you're using something with fleece in it. If not, maybe you could try a fleece liner in the diaper to keep her bottom feeling dry.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by katebleu
she wears clothe diapers and i don't want to use disposables at night.
I sense a slam ahead, but why are you so opposed to disposables? I use cloth as much as possible, but do choose disposables for long trips out of the house (I don't want to be dealing with poop in a bag at the grocery store) and for overnight. They're designed to help the baby not feel the wetness, right? Sounds like that's what your baby needs. One a night . . . couldn't you justify that in this case?

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I can only speak for myself but I am against disposables because they are made of chemicals and (mainstream brands) are bleached with dioxin.

There are plenty of night systems that work... no one needs to use chemical diapers.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I have a sensitive-skinned, nighttime wetter extraordinaire. FWIW, I tried disposables -- it didn't work. He wanted it changed as soon as he was wet.

Funnily enough, I have been pottying him two hours after he first falls asleep and this sometimes buys me a whole night without a diaper change. This is amazing. I used to have to change him up to nine times a night.

·
Registered
571 Posts
My son wets his diapers ALL night long, some night more than others, on rare nights he won't but it is very very rare. I used to double up the cloth diaper in a bigger cover at night but it was soooo bulky. I was also changing him in his sleep 3-4 times a night for a while when he only nursed 1-2 times a night. I then got some 16.8 ox sherpa http://www.sewzannesfabrics.com/s-sherpa.html and cut rectangles and serged (or sewed) it 4 layers thick for inserts. I use two at night and it is amazing. The second wicks the first so at very most I change once a night. It takes a LOT of pee to make it feel wet to him, and if he feels wet he WILL let me know.
If you have any questions feel free to message me. I know it can be hard at night sometimes.
As for disposables, we use 7th generations on rare ocassions when we are ot of town or at some function. I like they are cotton only but they do NOT breathe the same way. If I dont change them often he will get a rash which never happens with our cloth system.

Bleu

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I try to keep a diaper next to my nuirsing chair and check her diaper several times while nursing. If she wets, I change her and keep her latched on. This may not help you - sounds like yours s wetting after nursing, not during.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heffernhyphen
I sense a slam ahead, but why are you so opposed to disposables? I use cloth as much as possible, but do choose disposables for long trips out of the house (I don't want to be dealing with poop in a bag at the grocery store) and for overnight. They're designed to help the baby not feel the wetness, right? Sounds like that's what your baby needs. One a night . . . couldn't you justify that in this case?

oh no, i bare no ill will against disposables or their users. i am frustrated by the cost since i already have perfectly good diapers and the whole cheical thigs kind of weirds me out, but i used to use them for day trips to avoid poopy diapers in the diaper bag and having to explain what i'm doing to the other lady with a baby in the family bathroom
. (but that's another story.) i quit using them when dd started getting diaper rash after less than an afternoon in them. i didn't think sticking her in one all night sounded like the best idea. especially since it's mostly for my convience and desire to sleep more. i should have explained.

although, i put her in one last night and she went from waking up six times to twice. so i may use them at night for a while and moniter the diaper rash situation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts