Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been cloth diapering my son for the past 3 months or so and i've been using a dry pail the whole time. i know some people prefer wet pails over dry pails and visa-versa. what do you prefer and why? i dont know much about wet pails and i was wondering what works best for you guys. also- can the type of diaper you use determine what pail method to use?

·
Registered
306 Posts
We have used only a dry pail (aside from a stint with a wet pail during a month-long visit to Bangladesh) for the past 13 months. We got the pail liner bags (2 of them) from green mountain diapers, and it's been great. Wet pails pose a drowning hazard, and I imagine it would have the potential create a sloshy, nasty mess when time to empty came along.
We used a wet pail in Bangladesh b/c the washer didn't have a soak function (it was a front-loader) and we had a shower stall we emptied the pail into so we didn't have to transport it with water. I didn't really notice any big benefit (we soak for at least 30 min with baking soda before running dipes generally at home).

Oh--we use mostly pockets and stuff them with flats, prefolds, microfiber towels and the occasional ready-made insert. In Bangladesh it was flats and prefolds with wool covers.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
We use both! I have a wet pail for poop and it works wonders for keeping stains away. For pee only, I use a dry pail. I use prefolds only. HTH.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I used wet pail exclusively for 2 children, then wet for poopies and dry for wet only for 2, then exclusively dry for these last 2.

Wet pail was NASTY!! It was heavy to carry, messy to dump and stunk way worse than dry! It also grew mold on the top if I didn't wash often enough - which was mainly when they were PLing.

I'd never go back to wet pail!

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
nak
we do both and dry pail wet and dunk/swish and wet pail poop diapers. cuts down on stains, smells and its really easy.

we keep a plastic trashcan in the bathroom w/ tongs for the wetpail after time spent soaking in the toilet. we use a trashcan w/ a lid for the dry pail sort of like the kitchen type.

it's been working great for us years.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenSizzled View Post
we keep a plastic trashcan in the bathroom w/ tongs
We have "poop soup" tongs too!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have a toddler, so no bf diapers to worry about, but I've only done the dry pail. Its just soooo easy, I can't imagine having to worry about soaking. Plus my son would have the pail turned upside down two seconds after I put water in it (murphy's law). I can't even begin to imagine trying to clean that up. At least this way if he gets in his pail (it has a snap on lid), the worse that will happen is he needs a bath and I give the carpet a surface scrub.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
O yes... meant to mention, the plastic trashcan for wet pails is on the counter and he's never even tried to play in it. But safety does need to be a concern. As for carrying wet diapers, you poor the poop-wet-water into the toilet before carrying to laundry. We do laundry every 2-3 days so no mold or stink or whatever. I find the amonia stink in the dry pail is actually worse than the poop pail, but thats prob b/c the diapers are practically clean by the time they get in "the poop pail."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.