Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey mamas,
just wanted to let you no my 3yr old came down with a 103.5 temp wed. morning and with in a half hour had every symptom of swine flu (except vomiting, but he thought he was going to), called the ped. and he said it is the flu thats going around right now so most likely he has it. Then i found out the get together we were at the sat before he got it had over 30 ppl who came down with it the same week.

logan is doing much better, he has been taking homeopathic remedies and colloidal silver and herbs, and he is probably 50 % better at this point. I was getting nervous from all the media, but it really isnt horrible. its a good flu that knocks ya down, but nothing to fret over.
The one thing that i was told would help him is NEW CHAPTER'S IMMUNITY TAKE CARE. they are tablets they suck on, they taste great, and you can disolve and give to babies if needed. IT has worked amazingly, i swear by it. no need for all the junk in tamiflu, this traps the virus and doesnt let it spread, then by drinking liquids it flushes it out.
hope this helps and eases some minds!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for the update and info, mamatwig, because I think swine flu is visiting us, too. We were recently accidentally exposed to the brother of a toddler who had it badly (not hospitalized, but nearly). Also went to camp this week, and lo and behold, my middle boy has got a 102 fever tonight with a good cough. I am waiting and watching but I am glad to hear about the Immunity Take Care. That's probably just what we need right now. BTW, do you have other children and are you keeping them apart? Hope logan keeps doing well, and you all stay well and strong!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
It's definitely in the area. 3 of my neices and nephews have it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have another son, he is 9 months, i am trying my hardest to keep them apart as much as possible, but thats nearly impossible with a 3 yr old and a crusing baby. im hoping the baby doesnt get it, i no it could be more serious with him.
the baby that you knew who had it and was almost hospitalized, how old was he? why was he almost hospitalized, dehydration?

·
Registered
41 Posts
The toddler is actually pushing three, now that I think about it. (Time flies!) It began with cold-like symptoms that very quickly turned into pneumonia. Only 100 fever. But he couldn't breathe well. His mom is very academic and vigilant and she suspects that's why they let him be treated at home. He was also still moving around and playing, so the vitality was there. But here was a 'natural' mama giving her son steroids and albuterol and round the clock antibiotics. It was serious and needed the big guns. They were really happy not to have to go to the hospital. He took about a week to recover and is now his usual self. This fella had RSV as a babe and illnesses seem to go to his chest, even though he has no "pre-existing conditions" per se. They are pretty sure it was H1N1 because his dad was flattened with the flu for a week solid. There are two other children in the family and they and mama had bad colds -- that was it. I tell you all this not to create fear but just so you know that the younger ones can have atypical symptoms and change course quickly, but of course they're great healers.

I understand how hard it is to keep everyone separate. It's feeling impossible here. DS2 wants to be with his family; DS1 and he are joined at the hip, and of course little sister wants to be where the action is. DS2 has a 'perfect' fever of 101 and a really incredible barking dry cough, but his energy level is good. Keeping my fingers crossed for my older boy with autoimmune issues.

Sending good health to you and yours - salut!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the iinfo. lets hope none of us have to deal with that. i think the immunity take care cuts it in half, logans on his third morning with only a 99.9 temp and back to himself, back to eating, very little cough...i was giving him 3 tablets a day ( along with tons of other stuff) but i think it does wonders, im pumping the baby up with it now so if he gets it hopefully it will be a real mild case. good health to you all!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
How's it going, mamatwig?

My boy is recovering well, as yours did, on day three. Mild fever, heckuva cough, but energy almost totally back to normal. And no sickness in anyone else (cross fingers), though I'm a little scratchy-throated, but not concerned.

Gesundeit!

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I have moved this to Health and Healing.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
My kids had swine flu a week ago. They were sick for two weeks. Seriously sick. The fever was horrid, hovering at 103-104 and not responding to anything. It was pretty scary to see them so sick.

Two neighbor kids were hospitalized with it. A net friends niece was in the ICU with it.

Swine flu is something to fret over. Sounds like you guys may have lucked out with a milder case of it. Everyone I know with it has been extremely ill with it.

Hope your little one feels better soon!

·
Registered
41 Posts
DragonFlyBlue,

I am glad to hear that your kids are okay. I have been hearing some scary things as well about the severity of the illness and feel grateful that it took a mild course in DS2. I am wondering what your impression is about the incubation period, because no one else in our family is sick. I know it doesn't necessarily infect everyone, but I would be shocked if no one else came down with it.

Thanks for any insight and good health to you!

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I am just wondering how people are sure they have swine flu??

Unless there has been a laboratory test..maybe there has, but nobody here mentioned one. Regular flu has the same symptoms so Im just wondering??

·
Registered
41 Posts
In most areas, testing is no longer being done on typical cases because the virus is so widespread: over 1 million cases in the US, according to the CDC. Doing testing would be a waste of money. The CDC has said that any ILI (Influenza-like-illness) is likely swine flu, because that's pretty much the only influenza that's circulating. Here's the chart: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weekly...9/WhoLab24.htm
I will admit that I was shocked that my friend's toddler was not tested. He seemed like a serious and atypical case and deserved to know the source of his illness.

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
My friends son was tested, they won't know for sure for three days, but they did say they assume it is H1N1, due to the high fever and the positive Influenza test. He has been very, very sick. Temp around 104 for several days now. It's certainly not mild for him, poor little guy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
our littlest guy has it now
he came down with itsaturday. he is 9 1/2 months, and definitely got hit harder than our older son. his fever was up to 104 for 3 days , nothing knocking it down under 102.5. last night he broke it on his own to 100.5 so i think were on the upswing now. he is starting to get a cough which worries me a little just because of his age. all i can say is push the herbs and homeopathic remedies!!! for the cough i got GAIA HERBS WARMING VAPOROUS RUB its all essential oils but Ive been rubbing it on both boys chest and feet after steamy showers and putting some in a humidifier at night, i definitely see results with it. our oldest son just has the cough now, otherwise fine.

AS to the testing, we weren't, but the doc said influenza season is over, assume its H1N1, and we were at a party where a child was coming down with it (didnt know yet) and he tested positive...from that party 25 people broke out with it within 5 days including my son....so i assume.

a child can be contagious for up to 7 days after symptoms start, and the incubation period can be up to 5 days after you are exposed

i hope all your families are well, i think my area had a pretty mild case. Lets keep washing and boosting innune systems. i know sooo many people with this, it really is everywhere right now. i used a lot of natural remedies, if you would like info on some just ask, i swear thats why my boys made it through ok. I was even talking to a nutritonalist who owns a health food store and she said your kids would probably have been in the hospital if it werent for all the herbs, that this can be rough for the little guys .

good health to all!!!

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Thanks for sharing this information. I have been in and out of the hospital visiting my very sick MIL and my mom keeps telling me to beware of the swine flu.
I'm so sick of her nag me about it at this point.

I will save this thread for reference.

I'm glad you are all feeling better.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemyavery View Post
My friends son was tested, they won't know for sure for three days, but they did say they assume it is H1N1, due to the high fever and the positive Influenza test. He has been very, very sick. Temp around 104 for several days now. It's certainly not mild for him, poor little guy.
Yes, same thing with my friend's 1 yr old...assumed to be swine flu. tested and turns out is wasn't swine flu...just regular flu. I hear that they think testing would be a waste of money and there are likely many cases going around, but my point is sometimes to assume it is swine flu is not the case, so perhaps the numbers going around about the nunbers of people infected are slightly exaggerated because of an assumption.

That is neither here not there because the treatment would be the same regardless of what kind of flu it turned out to be.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
this is what i used and i really think it helped.
the dosing may change a bit with ages, this is the dosing i gave to my 3 yr old

1/2 tsp. colloidal silver 2x's daily
3 new chapter take care immunity lozenges daily
250 mg vitamin C with bioflavanoids
1 tsp. probiotics 2x's daily
30 drops new chapter host defence daily
hylands flu 4 kids homeopathic remedies (follow bottle instructions)
10 drop echinacea tincture 3x's daily
lots of water, ice pops, juice tea...push liquids!!!

he then developed a cough and i started giving him

Nectadyn homeopthic cough syrup and i used Gaias herbs vaporous rub

hope this helps!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
mamatwig,

i've been thinking about you and sorry to hear that your youngest has been sick but glad that he seems to be through the woods. my middle guy has just an awful cough and still a slight fever. i'm watching him closely, even though he seems well. i love that gaia chest rub, too! wishing you the best and that your boys continue on so strong through this.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamatwig View Post
this is what i used and i really think it helped.
the dosing may change a bit with ages, this is the dosing i gave to my 3 yr old

1/2 tsp. colloidal silver 2x's daily
3 new chapter take care immunity lozenges daily
250 mg vitamin C with bioflavanoids
1 tsp. probiotics 2x's daily
30 drops new chapter host defence daily
hylands flu 4 kids homeopathic remedies (follow bottle instructions)
10 drop echinacea tincture 3x's daily
lots of water, ice pops, juice tea...push liquids!!!

he then developed a cough and i started giving him

Nectadyn homeopthic cough syrup and i used Gaias herbs vaporous rub

hope this helps!!!
Thanks for all the info. I have a 2.5 almost 3 yr old and I am always wondering how much of everything to give him. So far he does not have the flu but I want to be prepared. How do you decide on the dosages to give?
Especially just for building the immune system? I have some sodium ascorbate and elderberry concentrate and I always am unsure of how much to give as a preventative. It seems the new chapter stuff is just elderberry? maybe I didn't read right. I wish I could find a natural dr in my area that I could ask these questions to. I actually came down w a headache yesterday,some intestinal stuff and feel achy today. No vomiting so I'm not sure what I have. Felt like I was getting a sore throat but took some ACV which cleared it up pretty quick. Its a mild flu though. Thanks for sharing all your info. What probitoics were you giving your son and do you do any of this as a preventative?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts