Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We always, always do the jellied canned cranberry sauce
: but this year we're having company and I'd like to have a whole-cranberry option. Anyone got a good recipe? I'd like something a little different from the traditional stewed-with-sugar dealio.

TIA!

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Here's a super-simple, refined sugar free version I created when I was inundated with WIC juices.

1 package fresh or frozen cranberries
1 12oz can apple juice concentrate, thawed but not reconstituted

Put juice concentrate and cranberries into a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries start to "pop." Stir more frequently while the cranberries are popping. When they're all done popping, turn off the heat.

You can cook longer and mush the cranberries together for a more jelled sauce, or leave it as is for a thinner, whole berry sauce.

Serve warm or chilled.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I like the cranberry relish recipe that's in the back of some of the cranberry packages, with honey or rapadura instead of sugar. My amended recipe is basically:

1 orange, peeled
Zest from orange (optional)
1 package (12 oz?) cranberries
1/2 cup rapadura or 1/3 cup honey

Process in food processor until cranberries are well chopped up. If you're used to the jellied stuff, this won't be the same texture, but it's very good.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ooh, those both sound good. saratc, do you cook yours? Or is it raw? I am OK with a different texture, I just want to have an option for folks who don't like the jellied stuff. We're an equal-opportunity-cramberry household.
Ruthla, thanks for yours too -- I have apple juice concentrate on hand, even!

·
Registered
820 Posts
I just cooked raw berries with some maple syrup last year and it was way tasty. I may add some satsuma zest this year, since we have some around. If you cook them a little while, they thicken with their own pectin anyway. I think that's what the can's trying to imitate.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Here's my favorite

1 lb. cranberries
1 c. sugar
1 c. dried cherries (I prefer Montmorency cherries)
1 c. brandy (or 1/2 c. brandy and 1/2 c. orange juice)
1 c. coarsely chopped walnuts

Boil the cranberries and cherries with the sugar in the brandy until the berries pop. I continue to boil until many but not all of them are turning mushy. Some people prefer all the berries to remain much more solid, though. Take off the heat, stir in the nuts, refrigerate.

If you want to do it with all brandy, make it today. It needs 2-3 days to mellow. Otherwise, cut the brandy with orange juice.

Adding a little bit of nutmeg is a lovely variation

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tboroson View Post
Here's my favorite

If you want to do it with all brandy, make it today. It needs 2-3 days to mellow. Otherwise, cut the brandy with orange juice.

Oh honey, if I had brandy on hand d'you think I'd be fooling around with cranberry sauce?!?

Thank you, though -- that sounds yummy and I will put it in my file.

HotMama, what's a satsuma? I am guessing it's some sort of citrus, but I've never heard of that before.
Thanks!

·
Registered
715 Posts
This is my fav and I have made it about 5 times since cranberries hit the stores.

1 whole orange
1 whole apple
1 lb cranberries
sugar/sweetener to taste

I throw everything in my food processer and pulse until it is coarsely chopped. yum!!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VikingKvinna View Post
HotMama, what's a satsuma? I am guessing it's some sort of citrus, but I've never heard of that before.
Thanks!
A satsuma is what we love most about this season...a small, tasty, very easy to peel tangerine. We get them by the 8lb box about weekly this time of year. Whenever I think they're too expensive, I remember how soon they will be gone, and how much dd loves them

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I love satsumas.

I just made Julia Child's cranberry chutney last night. It has apple, lemon, lemon zest, cranberries, sugar, white wine vinegar, salt and cayenne. It gelled up all nice and apparently will keep in the fridge for weeks, well if it lasts that long.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm a big fan of raw relishes too. This one is sort of like a fruit salad, really. Yummm.

Cranberry Orange Relish

Makes 2 cups

2 cups fresh or defrosted frozen cranberries
1/4 cup diced red onion
1 large jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 blood oranges or navel oranges, peeled, sectioned, and cut into 1/4-inch pieces, juices reserved
2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
1/2 cup sugar
2 stalks celery, peeled to remove strings, cut in 1/4-inch dice
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup pecans, toasted, broken in pieces

Place cranberries in food processor, and pulse to chop coarsely, about five pulses. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add onion, jalapeño, lime juice, orange sections and juice, ginger, sugar, and celery; mix gently. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 2 days. Just before serving, add mint and pecans, and toss to combine.

I usually leave out the jalapeno since I'm the only person who likes hot stuff in the family.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I made this last night and it smells yummy! I did omit the walnuts, but otherwise followed the recipe. I will serve this *and* the canned cranberry sauce, because that is my favorite! LOL

Cranberry Pineapple Relish
RECIPE INGREDIENTS:
20-ounce can crushed pineapple in its own juice
6 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1. Thoroughly drain the pineapple using a strainer (one made from a nonreactive material, such as stainless steel) set over a large measuring cup. Add enough water to the juice to measure 2 cups of liquid.

2. Pour the liquid into a large nonreactive saucepan. Add the cranberries and sugar. Stir the mixture over high heat until the sugar dissolves and the liquid comes to a boil. Continue cooking it at a boil, stirring occasionally, until most of the berries pop open and the mixture is thick, about 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.

3. Mix in the pineapple, walnuts, lemon juice, and cloves. Transfer the relish to a serving bowl and refrigerate it uncovered until it's cold (about 2 hours). Then cover the relish until you're ready to serve it. Makes 6 cups.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Here's a super-simple, refined sugar free version I created when I was inundated with WIC juices.

1 package fresh or frozen cranberries
1 12oz can apple juice concentrate, thawed but not reconstituted

Put juice concentrate and cranberries into a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries start to "pop." Stir more frequently while the cranberries are popping. When they're all done popping, turn off the heat.

You can cook longer and mush the cranberries together for a more jelled sauce, or leave it as is for a thinner, whole berry sauce.

Serve warm or chilled.

I made this recipe this morning, it was delicious! I made a very small change, though. Here's what I did:

I added the juice and zest from one smallish navel orange. I let it cook for awhile to gel somewhat.

I had to practically hogtie the Dc to restrain them from eating it all right then!

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for clueing me in about the satsumas -- we get clementines which sound like the same thing, sorta. They're yummy and fleeting.

I did kind of a mish-mash of all these cranberry recipes -- whizzed up the berries, some oranges, some triple sec and some honey in my Vitamix, then started cooking it over a low flame. Pretty tasty so far, although I'm still waiting for it to gel up...but if worst comes to worst I will add some cornstarch or something. Thanks for all the recipes you guys!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.