Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Julian is just starting to feed himself, so I went out and bought some organic Cheerio-type cereal .. only to find that it has a tiny bit (last ingredient on the list) of organic honey in it. He's 8 months. Should I skip this altogether?

· Registered
2,877 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluejaunte View Post
Julian is just starting to feed himself, so I went out and bought some organic Cheerio-type cereal .. only to find that it has a tiny bit (last ingredient on the list) of organic honey in it. He's 8 months. Should I skip this altogether?
I was just asking about this the other day, and got some good answers from mamas much wiser than I: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=945542

Hope that helps!

· Registered
750 Posts
yup...i would. not just because of the honey, but bc that cereal is just empty calories. you can do SOOO many things for self feeders...small chunks of soft fruits and cooked veggies are great. also small pieces of avocado or hard boiled egg yolks. beans that you mash just a little are also great. if you want something less messy, you could get one of those little mesh finger feeders that you put soft foods into and then baby can suck on the mesh and get the food out. they are a pain to clean but great for on the go and eating out.

· Registered
3,490 Posts
I like to have some dry cereal for outings and such or for something really quick to give. I don't use it often but I do think it's okay if cereal is a part of your normal diet and something you keep in your house.

I actually did some research on honey and botulism when someone gave my 10 month old a honey graham cracker at church! I was totally peeved.

Botulism actually stops being dangerous at about 8 months old but they push the number to one-year old for a nice, solid, round number. I also called Nabisco and asked them about their graham crackers and expressed my concern that my infant had eaten one and they said that the temperature they cook the crackers at is safe for an infant to eat the crackers.

I did much more reading than what I have posted here...and after what I researched, I would comfortably give my 8-month old some of the cheerios you are talking about.

· Registered
1,429 Posts
i would skip it.

we give organic gluten-free rice krispies (found at whole foods, and cheaper than most cereals!). they have two ingredients, organic brown rice and brown rice syrup. they taste just like brand rice krispies, and they're a great on-the-go snack.

she used to love practicing her pincher grasp on them.

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! We skipped them for now and just gave him other cereal. The thing I liked about the ones with honey was that they weren't just empty calories (like conventional Cheerios) .. they had quinoa, millet, barley, kamut, all sorts of grains. (We don't really eat grains ourselves, but as they go, these are the healthier ones.)

We tried chunks of soft fruits but he needs a little pincer grip practice with something non-slippery. Hence the cereal. Will definitely be doing soft fruits, etc. when he can pick them up! Most of his solids are fruits now anyway, but using the mesh feeder. But it sounds like the ones with the teeny bit of honey in them are okay. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.