Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to cloth diapering and have been using Chinese prefolds with Bummis covers for a few weeks. It is getting more difficult as Izzy is becoming more wiggly and changing her is becoming a battle of wills. I have ordered a few fitted diapers and FB's from the TP to try out a few brands and I have noticed that there are so many diferent fabric choices like sherpa, French terry, organic cotton, hemp, etc. I understand that micro fleece is generally used to wick the moisture onto the more absorbent fabric underneath, but I'm curious about the diferent absorbent fabrics, and how they compare. Ordering right from a lot of the diaper makers websites, it will give you a choice and I wouldn't know what to choose!

What are your opinions on the absorbent fabrics, do you have preferences? How are they different?

Edited to add: What the heck is "Funded Paypal"? How is it diferent than regular Paypal?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Funded paypal is either cash in your account or the money is drawn from your bank account. You can't use a credit card. Some people only have a regular account which won't accept credit cards.

As far as absorbant materials you will find many different answers as to what people like. I like organic fabrics and I'm an organic velour (OV) junky. I prefer my fitteds or AIO's to be lined in OV and the soakers with organic cotton with the top layer being OV. I don't care for organic sherpa, I think it is too thick and bulky. Hemp is nice for it's antibacterial properties and it absorbancy. The only french terry I've had was organic and I didn't notice a difference in absorbancy in the french terry vs the organic cotton.

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
If it's a hidden layer, I prefer organic cotton terry. If it's going to touch the baby's skin though, then I prefer organic cotton sherpa if I'm looking for the softest option, or organic cotton birdseye if I'm looking for a soft, non-bulky option.

Funded paypal means that you have a balance in your paypal account, or your paypal account is linked to your checking account and you have a balance in your checking account. Funded basically means "the money's there." This is opposed to credit card paypal, which is when you use paypal to charge something to your credit card. When you pay someone with credit card paypal, the recipient is charged a fee.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Funded paypal is either cash in your account or the money is drawn from your bank account. You can't use a credit card. Some people only have a regular account which won't accept credit cards.
So I added my chequing account to my Paypal to use instead of my credit card, does this mean I have a funded Paypal?

What do you mean by a "hidden layer"? How do AIO's work, for instance, they have a layer next to the baby's skin, then something more absorbent underneath, then a PUL outside? Does that mean a regular fitted is just that without the PUL on the outside?

So then you would want the softest material near the baby's skin and the most absorbent inside?

...so many questions...

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
If your pp account is linked to your checking account, then you have funded pp. When you make a payment, pp will do an instant transfer from your bank account.

I too prefer organic terry for the hidden layer. It's called that b/c it's the layer hidden between the outer layer (PUL, knits, wovens, whatever) and the inner layer. Almost all diapers, including fitteds, have 3 layers - outer, hidden, inner. So, yes, a fitted is much like an AIO but without the PUL. For the inner layer, I like something soft & absorbent. My fave is sherpa (so soft & absorbent) with an OV-topped doubler. As you can see, like Sustainer I
organics too!

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
The hidden layer is the internal layer that you can't see or touch. I like to choose very absorbent fabrics for the hidden layer, like organic cotton terry. Sometimes the hidden layer isn't a full layer, but just a soaker pad in the "wet zone."

Then there's the layer that goes against the baby, which I like to pick soft materials for, like organic cotton sherpa.

Then there's the outer layer, which in the case of AIOs, is a waterproof layer such as PUL. In the case of fitteds, I like the outer layer to be organic cotton fleece (with the smooth side out), partly because it's very pettably soft, but also because it seems a little more wick-resistant than other cottons.

To complicate matters, sometimes the soaker pad isn't hidden, but is a flap that goes against the baby. This is done so that the diaper will dry quicker. In this case, I like to choose a soft, absorbent fabric like organic cotton sherpa for the soaker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.