Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I'm curious what activities other mamas take their kids to and how often.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Right now, DD (3.5 yrs) is in a rythmic gymnastics class from 3 to 5 year olds, on Saturday mornings at 10h00, for 1 hour. It's a perfect slot for us as it lets DD get up later, schlep around before going to do something super physical and fun. She's a VERY physical child and when she doesn't get to play hard, it's a disaster.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Sundays are another story, as I often don't have anything physical for her to do and since it's winter, she's trapped inside feeling bored. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to schedule another morning activity for her that would get her moving...like dance or something...</p>

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
<p>I tend not to do activities.  I did a condensed swimming lessons thing once, but it was a PITA.  At the time, we were alternating Saturdays and XH wouldn't commit to taking DS to swimming lessons for a half hour, so I ended up doing Tues/Thurs evening lessons for a month.  Ugh!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>When he starts kindergarten next year, we're going to do 4-H.  And it depends on the budget...I might be able to afford the karate lessons offered by his preschool once a week.  He'll be still going to his preschool for before/after care.  But honestly, I have enough time and financial constraints, that having anything else scheduled just stresses me out.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
616 Posts
<p>We go swimming or do basketball at the YMCA on Sundays in the winter. Another favorite thing to do is go to the indoor mall play park at 9am (the mall is unlocked but the stores don't open until 11am so it's empty!). I haven't found any classes or pay activities on Sundays though. All the swim lessons are on Saturdays. We are going to sign up gymnastics pretty soon though. And then we might do swim in the summer and DS is really excited to start Suzuki Violin.<br><br>
 </p>

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
<p>My DS didn't start 'activities until he was 10!.  Well we did library programs and there was the toddler gym class (one session) but that was about it.  He didn't have an interest and preferred free time at the park.  Plus I just didn't have the money.  Last year he started with Theater class (maybe that was when he was 9 turning 10) and then we added in swimming lessons. Now he is doing swim team.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Even when he was younger we didn't need scheduled classes or programs.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>ETA: he took a couple computer classes through the city when he was around 7-8 ish and a cooking class about a year later.  Nothing long term and nothing with a huge commitment.</p>

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
<p>Thank you so much for this- I feel quilty all the time about activities.... we do very little... For some reason  the extras just stress me out. DD is playing soccer- they both do baseball in spring in summer. We tried boy scouts- but I always forgot the meetings.  And they were boring.</p>
<p>And weekly.</p>
<p>I am so glad I am not alone.</p>

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
<p> </p>
<p>14 yo dd plays soccer spring and fall.  Next year, she may play on high school boy's team.  She's tried other sports/activities but never stick with them.</p>
<p>9 yo ds plays sports year round.  Basketball, baseball, soccer but this year probably football instead of soccer.  But many of them are cheap here.  Soccer is 20 dollars.  Baseball cost the most at 45.  I think basketball was 30 or so.  He's kinda chubby and LOVES playing so it is a priority for me that he plays.</p>
<p>8 yo does dance class.  It's local and in her teacher's garage so 13 dollars a week.  It's her favorite day of the week.  Her dance teacher has suggested taking her to a bigger school in Indianapolis because she is really talented but I can't afford the tuition and don't want to drive her there (abt 40 minutes) 4 days a week.  </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<p>So...do you think that 2 activities over the week-end are too much for a 3.5 yr old? I just hate it when she's ITCHING to run around and be physical but there's no space for her to do that in my house (safely anyways).</p>

·
Registered
798 Posts
<p> </p>
<p>DD aged 5.5 does swimming and Girl Guides both during the week because her father who is very uncooperative takes parenting time every other weekend making weekend activities impossible.</p>

·
Registered
616 Posts
<p>I don't think so. Especially in the winter. I try to be out of the house as much as possible on the weekends because otherwise my house gets destroyed. You could try it out and if she is hard to get ready to go there or resistant then maybe go back to just the one activity?</p>

Reactions: Halfasianmomma

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
<p>Could you get a zoo membership or something?  Our zoo has a big indoor area so it's perfect for toddlers and preschoolers to run around in the winter.  On a weekend, it's like March of the Toddlers in from the parking lot.  :p  And there aren't any tourist crowds during the winter so it's terrific!  Or if you have a children's museum to get a membership?  Those kind of places are pricey to go once in a while, but a great value if you can got for an hour or so a couple times a month. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>It's just my personal preference, but I'd rather have something less structured so we could go when we wanted.  Then again, if I had unlimited time and money, I'd love to let DS do music and dance and soccer and karate and art and all of the super cool activities that are offered.  It just doesn't work in my schedule since so many of them are set up to be enrichment for home-schoolers or stay-at-home moms with preschoolers.  So we don't. </p>

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
<p>I'm not big into organized activities. We homeschool so we do some things, like they take a science class and we go to the weekly homeschool park day, but otherwise nothing. I would like for them to do a martial arts or dance class but those all meet in the last afternoon/evening and my kids wake up at the crack of dawn so they are way too tired for that. We do go to the science center, museums, zoo, tar pits, Disneyland, etc on a pretty regular basis - those things are more up my alley</p>

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
<p>Owen has tried karate, swimming, basketball, cub scouts and soccer. Soccer is the only one that's stuck (and it's the only one that's geared toward special needs kids). There is a spring session (March/April) and a fall session (September/October). Oh, he also does a once a month cooking class at the rehabilitation hospital he gets therapy at.</p>

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<p>There isn't a zoo around here with an indoor playground type of thing, but there are very expensive "indoor playgrounds" around the city. Too pricey though...I was considering library activities but I imagine running around screaming isn't well received in that environment. I'd love for DD to just have access to a gym or something so she can make up her own games, but there's nothing like that here.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Guess I can give creative dance a try and see what comes of it...</p>

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
<p>I don't think two activities over two days would be too much for a 3.5yo. DS2 is 3.5yo and he would be totally OK with that. I try to get out every morning with the kids and it's generally something physical.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>To answer your other question, 6yo DS and 3yo DS don't do any activities. Though DS1 is going to start kung fu next week, but whether he will like it or not, I'm not sure.</p>

·
Registered
389 Posts
10yo dd:<br>
Dance (weekly)<br>
Basketball (seasonal)<br>
Softball (2 seasons)<br>
Girl scouts (every other week)<br>
Field hockey (seasonal)<br>
Tae kwon do (weekly)<br><br>
Yes, I'm exhausted.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
<p> </p>
<p>My oldest was VERY high energy and we still lived in the city.  We spent a lot of time at the mall.   We didn't buy anything and she understood that pretty well.  But she loved to walk around and look and things.   Finally, one mall put in a little play area.  We went to the mall at least once a week.  </p>

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
<p>Ds (8.5 years) has swimming lessons afterschool on Friday.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I hate any type of regularly scheduled activity on the weekends, because I want us to be able to do as we please on the weekends without any commitments.  But, I do go to the gym each day of the weekend and they have a lot of awesome activities (rock climbing, basketball, soccer and a great indoor playground with a bouncer) for the kids. </p>

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
<p>We did swimming lessons last summer. They were fun, but honestly, it was a bit much getting DS to the pool twice a week. I think once per week, for us, is more manageable (especially since we're in Texas and we've been wearing short sleeves through most of February).</p>
<p>That said, I reeeeaaaalllly want to get DS into gymnastics classes in the next month or two. DS is super physical and I think he'd have tons of fun. The Y has some pretty cheap ones, it's just a matter of finding one that works with my work schedule. One nice thing is one of my single mom friends wants to put her daughter (DS's classmate) into gym classes as well, so we're going to try to coordinate and carpool.</p>
<p>Also, my dad gave DS and his cousin little cellos for Christmas. I'd like to get him into very informal lessons. One of my boyfriend's roommates is a cellist and this thread actually just inspired me to shoot her an email and ask if she'd be willing to do lessons.</p>

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
<p>DD has had a couple of lessons here and there but no regular activities outside of school. There is one in school called stretch and grow we pay for. Now we do have some memberships to some fun things and go often but it's not an organized activity.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>One of dd's friends has their 2 kids in a bunch of activities and the parents are running around all weekend trying to handle all the activities. I just don't see that as a good way to spend quality time. I've basically tried to expose dd to a variety of things to see what she likes. If she really likes something we can consider something more serious later.</p>

1 - 20 of 20 Posts