Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is 4, he wants a skateboard.
What age has or do you think a child can start using a skateboard safely?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
i think hes old enough. he wont be doing much on it right now anyway, besides trying to stay on, lol...

we got our nephews these cool little mini skate boards that were just the right size for them when they were 4 and 6, and they loved them. they also came with a little harness thing so they could be work as a back pack

·
Registered
29 Posts
My son (3 1/2) has a mini skateboard and really likes it. He uses it on the grass to practice balancing, and if he uses it on the sidewalk then he has to wear his bike helmet and (hopefully) knee pads. He also likes his three wheel scooter which is sort of similar but easier to use. But he certainly knows his limits with the skateboard - he can't really skate on it yet, but he likes to try!

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
My dd goofed around with a cheapie since she was 4, but learned how to use it well around the time she turned six. We got her a Birdhouse mini skateboard (Tony Hawkins.)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Yup, I'm with the crowd - whenever they want one! They make them in all sizes. My boys have each had their own since they were 2.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
My ds is 4.5. Dh had saved his old skateboard and gave it to him a couple months ago. Dh showed him where to put his feet and how to stand with knees bent and arms out. And of course he is all padded up, including a helmet. He loves it and has gotten to be pretty good (even some little jumps!). Some other kids in our hood started around 5.

Cheers!
lilgreen

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
My son is 4.5 and really hurt himself a few months ago on a skateboard.. although I think he might have his father's coordination, so I think he's prone to these sorts of accidents

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
My son is 3 and the neighbor boy gave him a skateboard when he was 2.5. He has to wear helmet plus elbow and kneepads whenever he uses it and he only uses it on our very flat driveway. I have no qualms about it because he is a very coordinated kid who uses very good judgement for a 3 yo. Sure he falls down but I figure at this age he is A LOT closer to the ground! He loves it and does "tricks" (i.e. standing on it and jumping up in the air a little). The other day he told me we needed to tape the board to his feet so he could jump and turn the board
Needless to say I didn't.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Little kids on skateboards freak me out. That thing happens when their feet fly out from under them and they land on their back!
: I have seen those "skateboard" with handles that are used like a scooter. Ds could not do much on a skateboard till he was around 7.

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
If your son wants one, go for it! Our son is 5, and would never be able to stay on, but one of his K classmates can actually do a lot on his, so it all depends on the kid!

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Never.

I loathe skateboards. I harbor an enmity for skaters that's right up there with my detestation of people who walk and smoke. Just last week I was in a collision with a girl on a skateboard. That is, she swerved and changed speed suddenly (as skateboarders are wont to do) and though I hit my brakes, she had to jump off her board, almost fell down, and the board wound up under my bike where I stopped. I'm good at dodging pedestrians and other bicycles on campus when riding, and good at avoiding bikes when walking, but skaters are these unpredictable wildcard hazards.

I would rather my DD never be one of them.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I am the mama of two skater boys and probably a third as soon as he figures out what they are-I have a huge half pipe in my back yard that draws skater boys with hair in their eyes from miles around LOL!

anyway-the mini boards can be found at toys are us or kb toys-target does not have them in the stores but maybe online? The mini ones are great for a starter because they have slower wheels-no fancy bearings and such. the one my 15 yo uses for competitive skateboarding has really good bearings and can go much faster than the cheaper one my 6yo uses. get good safety gear-a helmet and all the pads-especailly wrist guards-when they fall they catch themselves on withteir hands.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
I bought DS1's skateboard when he was 2! He did just fine!

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Qualia's got 2 skateboards. She got them when she was 21 months old. She sits on them and pushes herself down the driveway. If she wears her helmet, she can stand on them and practice "tricks." (Mostly, staying standing up.)

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
ds has two and he is 2.5 and ds 1 has THREE and hes 12! lol we also have an electric scooter, reg scooter and ds 2 has this plastic 4 wheeled scooter that he loves. we are skater freaks, we have ramps, grind rails and lots of cement! (and lots of kids over skating quite a lot!)

·
Registered
197 Posts
My hubby is a skater. "unpredictable, wildcard hazard" makes me giggle. hes been called a hell of a lot worse i guess
You "harbor an enmity for skaters"? Really? REALLY? Silly.
DS has been playing around with daddys forever but he's had his own and has been able to actually skate at the skatepark since this summer. He is 4.
Like the others said, helmets and pads are pretty important.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts