Mothering Forum banner

How old should your child be before they go over to a neighbor's alone?

• Age 2

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Age 3

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Age 4

• Age 5

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Age 6

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Age 7

• Age 8 or older

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, although this looks like it's inspired by 'backyard' threads, this isn't. It's inspired by my neighbor's kids, who are currently playing in the front yard with ds.<br><br>
What age do you consider appropriate for kids to walk over to a neighbor's house unaccompanied? (I.e. all by themselves and not with you watching.) No streets to cross.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
If the neighbor is expecting them, like we are on the phone and I say "OK, he's leaving now," I don't see why there would be a minimum age.<br><br>
Even so, I really feel that little kids will often live up to the responsibility we give them.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
I voted age 6, only because I remember walking my neighbors' houses alone around that age. I'd be fine with not walking with them before then, but it seems so simple to just stand on the porch for a minute or so and watch them walk a few doors down -- I can't think of a reason I wouldn't do that until the kids are rather old.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I live in the upstairs part of a 2 family house. For me to walk down a full flight of steps, just to watch him from the porch, seems rather silly. There's too much landscaping to see the neighbor's front door from my porch anyway- so either he's trusted to go outside alone, or somebody has to go with him. Watching from the porch simply isn't realistic here.<br><br>
I don't let DS walk to neighbors alone, only because there's only one neighbor he'd want to walk to (nobody else on this side of the block has kids around his age), and the mom gives me a hard time/judgemental look if he goes outside alone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts